1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Tell your Air Suspension conversion story here please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That makes sense they changed in 03

Old 07-24-2013, 11:34 AM
03NaviGirl
New User
Hi Guys, I need help, yesterday the suspension on my 2003 navi went and I drove home feeling like a gangsta bumping and a bouncing all the way home! Joking aside I have been researching the conversion kits and found this site. I am confused as some of you'll say the monroe kits cost $200, is that for all 4? If so wow that is cheap because my local Advance Auto wants over $800 for all 4..... Caverjoe, what is the sellers name on eBay where you bought yours so I can see if they still have some of the strutmaster premium kits available for me to buy..
Thanks in advance for your responses! P.S, my air bags were just replaced not more than 3 years ago while it was still under the extended warranty...I need to look at the paperwork to see exactly what they replaced when I get home.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:12 PM
5.4T
Elder User
Originally Posted by 03NaviGirl
Hi Guys, I need help, yesterday the suspension on my 2003 navi went and I drove home feeling like a gangsta bumping and a bouncing all the way home! Joking aside I have been researching the conversion kits and found this site. I am confused as some of you'll say the monroe kits cost $200, is that for all 4? If so wow that is cheap because my local Advance Auto wants over $800 for all 4..... Caverjoe, what is the sellers name on eBay where you bought yours so I can see if they still have some of the strutmaster premium kits available for me to buy..
Thanks in advance for your responses! P.S, my air bags were just replaced not more than 3 years ago while it was still under the extended warranty...I need to look at the paperwork to see exactly what they replaced when I get home.
the 200$ is for the 98-02 Navigators, I looked on Rockauto.com and found 1 for 114.79 x 4 = 459$

Ebay: I found a few good deals like -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Navigator-Air-bag-to-Coil-Spring-Struts-Suspension-Conversion-Kit-03-06-/271226899175?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2003%7CMake%3ALincoln%7CModel%3ANavigator&hash=item3f26620ae7&vxp=mtr
2003 lincoln navigator suspension | eBay

Hope this helps

Old 07-24-2013, 02:02 PM
03NaviGirl
New User
Originally Posted by 5.4T
the 200$ is for the 98-02 Navigators, I looked on Rockauto.com and found 1 for 114.79 x 4 = 459$

Ebay: I found a few good deals like -> Lincoln Navigator Air Bag to Coil Spring Struts Suspension Conversion Kit 03 06 | eBay

2003 lincoln navigator suspension | eBay

Hope this helps
Ahhh ok thanks for that info, I will show the eBay one to my hubby as that seems like a good price for the complete kit compared to what I am finding on the internet.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:54 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are the cheapest prices I have found for replacement springs/shocks for the 03 Navigators. Do you have any idea what went wrong with your current OEM suspension. Some of the repairs are simple compared to the expensive airbags which you already have new (last way more than 3 years)? In mines it was leak from the shock mount that caused all sorts of problems (and $$$$). I think it was a $200 (dealer price) part that I could have got much cheaper online .

Old 07-24-2013, 05:00 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
03navigirl here is a link to an auction from the same people I got my wifes kit from. If it is not the set you want just look at there other auctions. I think I lucked into a premium kit that the box got opened on or something if I remember right. Mine where red springs. These look to be all black, but you really cant see them when they are under there anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-06-Lincoln-Navigator-Air-Suspension-Conversion-4-Wheel-Kit-/181173571930?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ANavigator&hash=item2a2ec9515a

Old 07-24-2013, 07:00 PM
03NaviGirl
New User
Wow you guys are great! I'm not sure what caused my current problems and looking at my paperwork just 1 air bag was replaced in Mar of 09... My navi started making a loud creaking noise a few days ago and when I went to get in it after work it looked like the car was sitting on all 4 tires, I did hear a loud pop noise just before I went out, could that have been an air bag popping? At this point since we no longer have an extended warranty my husband just wants to do the conversion, the compressor does work because he tested it but it didn't raise my car up...

Old 07-26-2013, 11:21 AM
03NaviGirl
New User
Thanks Joe, I am buying the set you linked me too, the seller is actually Strutmasters check their user id history and after emailing them he said to wait because they are putting all Lincoln products on sale today so I will get them for even less $$~!
Can't wait until my hubby does the conversion as I am without wheels

Old 07-27-2013, 10:28 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Yes, I knew they where strutmasters. Really nice people too. If you have the tools I think it probably to a buddy and I less than two hours to do all four. I think one or two of the king pin bolts might have been a little stubborn or it would have been quicker. So it might help to start spraying some Parts Blaster on them now while you wait for your new struts. My wife says she likes these better than the air ride, and I like the peace of mind.
Good luck and glad I could give you a good link.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:23 AM
iliketurtles
New User
Hello everyone. Just wanted to share my story. I have an '05 Eddie Bauer Expedition. The springs did not leak or anything but the compressor started getting noisy (rattling). I read this forum thread and others to see what could be done. I replaced the isolators / bushings but it was still noisy. I couldn't take that noisy thing any more. I read enough good things about the Monroe quick struts so I bought them from Rock Auto and swapped them out last week. I just wanted to go with something simple and reliable. ride is nice too. Helpful hint - the bottom shock mount bolt uses a 30 mm socket. I will post a picture of how the truck sits when I figure out how. I still have the old springs / shocks that id be willing to sell for a reasonable price. The truck is an 05 with 111K miles.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:46 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by iliketurtles
Hello everyone. Just wanted to share my story. I have an '05 Eddie Bauer Expedition. The springs did not leak or anything but the compressor started getting noisy (rattling). I read this forum thread and others to see what could be done. I replaced the isolators / bushings but it was still noisy. I couldn't take that noisy thing any more. I read enough good things about the Monroe quick struts so I bought them from Rock Auto and swapped them out last week. I just wanted to go with something simple and reliable. ride is nice too. Helpful hint - the bottom shock mount bolt uses a 30 mm socket. I will post a picture of how the truck sits when I figure out how. I still have the old springs / shocks that id be willing to sell for a reasonable price. The truck is an 05 with 111K miles.
Good eye on that 30mm bolt. Nice info to share. I too still have all my 03 nav air shocks that I would like to get out of the garage.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:00 PM
wastingas
Senior User
Has anyone figured out how to turn off the check suspension light? 03+

Old 08-21-2013, 03:12 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Looks like you'll want to cut the #12 wire.

Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Navigating180k
Freshman User
I replaced my air suspension system on my 2003 Navigator with a coil over conversion kit from Strutmasters. Best decision I ever made. Prior to replacing it, I bought two new front air shocks and installed them, got about 25k miles and had a leaking rear shock, so I rebuilt it with another kit from Arnott Industries. Then, the final straw was when the air ride system went out completely on a 5hr trip to Atlanta Georgia. No way at all the get it to charge back up. I was completely done with it. When you "low ride" up and down the interstate with the family inside and can't drive over 60 because the car feels like a roller coaster, ya, that was enough for me to give up the air ride fight. The other system rides just as good, in my opinion. But, I have 195k mile and really need functional over smooth ride. Take care.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:23 AM
wastingas
Senior User
Originally Posted by alloro
Looks like you'll want to cut the #12 wire.
Do you happen to know where that harness is located. From what i have gathered it may be near the e-brake pedal with a black and gray harness going into it.

Quick Reply: Tell your Air Suspension conversion story here please.