1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Tell your Air Suspension conversion story here please.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:52 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What did you do 1 year ago?
Originally Posted by 5.4T
well 1 Year and couple of months later, Mines still works but the compressor is starting to sound like an air tool again.Do you really have to replace the Bushing so often?

Old 01-23-2013, 04:27 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alloro
I guess they never thought of pulling out the cluster and removing the check suspension bulb!
It is not a bulb on these years it is an information center. I just turned the air system off. The message center tells you the sytem is turned off but a quick push of the reset button gets rid of that.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:29 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 5.4T
Trust me if you would have got those air shocks brand new , You would have notice the decrease in ride comfort, Air rides always better!!!
Our system worked fine for several years. As for the ride I dont really see a diffrence and my wife says she likes the conversion better. So I am happy with the switch.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:10 AM
dr cabela
Senior User
finally decided to get rid of my air on my 2005 Expy.
last couple winters the system started acting up..sometimes totally deflated first thing in the AM sometimes just the front pass side down usually would start working again as it warmed up
..then it got to the point where all air bags started getting wacky and it was low rider time.

took it to the dealership and they said I had bad height sensors and they wanted 1100 to fix!!!!!!! they said they THOUGHT that would fix my problem but I might have a bad air shock..either leaky or a bad solenoid

These tiny sensors are actually 300-350 bucks a piece new!!!!

when I went to the junkyard to look for sensors I found a 2004 expy but it had no sensors at all...no air suspension.....but it had 4 nice coil over struts and they sold them to me for 200.

Decided to go that route esp after I found out that even if I installed the junkyard sensors I would still have to pay 100 for the computer recalibration of the height sensors. The air shocks are 300-400 if needed to be replaced. The ford tech told me he would just switch it over and be done w/ it and the coil struts can be installed fairly easy esp if you have the tools

the guys at the yard said its a no brainer.....switch it over

well just got done doing the front end and I am really happy.Its pretty straight forward and strutmasters has a video that shows you how to take the old air shock out and install the coil over strut..you will need a lift..and air tools make it easier..you will need a pry bar to nudge the bottom of the shock into place(probably the hardest part)

also I just used regular coil over struts off a 2004...no special conversion kits that costs 600-800 dollars..I think anything from a 2003 to a 2006 will work..It bolts right up

I really dont notice a difference in the ride and finally my front end is level instead of the pass side always being a little low...even when it was working..any body need 4 used air shocks...1 probably w/ a leak????

this weekend I will do the rear....

Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dr cabela
finally decided to get rid of my air on my 2005 Expy.
last couple winters the system started acting up..sometimes totally deflated first thing in the AM sometimes just the front pass side down usually would start working again as it warmed up
..then it got to the point where all air bags started getting wacky and it was low rider time.

took it to the dealership and they said I had bad height sensors and they wanted 1100 to fix!!!!!!! they said they THOUGHT that would fix my problem but I might have a bad air shock..either leaky or a bad solenoid

These tiny sensors are actually 300-350 bucks a piece new!!!!

when I went to the junkyard to look for sensors I found a 2004 expy but it had no sensors at all...no air suspension.....but it had 4 nice coil over struts and they sold them to me for 200.

Decided to go that route esp after I found out that even if I installed the junkyard sensors I would still have to pay 100 for the computer recalibration of the height sensors. The air shocks are 300-400 if needed to be replaced. The ford tech told me he would just switch it over and be done w/ it and the coil struts can be installed fairly easy esp if you have the tools

the guys at the yard said its a no brainer.....switch it over

well just got done doing the front end and I am really happy.Its pretty straight forward and strutmasters has a video that shows you how to take the old air shock out and install the coil over strut..you will need a lift..and air tools make it easier..you will need a pry bar to nudge the bottom of the shock into place(probably the hardest part)

also I just used regular coil over struts off a 2004...no special conversion kits that costs 600-800 dollars..I think anything from a 2003 to a 2006 will work..It bolts right up

I really dont notice a difference in the ride and finally my front end is level instead of the pass side always being a little low...even when it was working..any body need 4 used air shocks...1 probably w/ a leak????

this weekend I will do the rear....
First there is no recalibration for the sensor switch. I switched all 3 of mine out at diffrent times and never had to have anything recalibrated.
2nd I got a brand new set of Lifetime strutmasters off ebay for $419 delivered. Last time I looked at the auction they had them down to $409 delivered. For $200 more I will go new every time. Just my .02

Old 01-26-2013, 12:20 AM
dr cabela
Senior User
Originally Posted by caverjoe
First there is no recalibration for the sensor switch. I switched all 3 of mine out at diffrent times and never had to have anything recalibrated.
2nd I got a brand new set of Lifetime strutmasters off ebay for $419 delivered. Last time I looked at the auction they had them down to $409 delivered. For $200 more I will go new every time. Just my .02

sounds like you got lucky on those sensors cause I personally know two people that had to have their recalibrated after putting on the new sensors

since coils rarely fail I felt better saving 220 dollars and putting the stock coil struts back on.....I guess I could of spray painted them gloss black so I would think a had better "aftermarket' coils

Old 01-27-2013, 01:09 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
sounds like you got lucky on those sensors cause I personally know two people that had to have their recalibrated after putting on the new sensors

since coils rarely fail I felt better saving 220 dollars and putting the stock coil struts back on.....I guess I could of spray painted them gloss black so I would think a had better "aftermarket' coils
stealership says you need to have them calibrated, but they need your money so by all means have it done, or just wait the day or two it takes to set itself.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM
dr cabela
Senior User
stealership says you need to have them calibrated, but they need your money so by all means have it done, or just wait the day or two it takes to set itself.

Ive done that....they never reset for whatever reason...maybe it was my particular problem

Im just glad I dont have to worry about it any more........it rides great!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Ive done that....they never reset for whatever reason...maybe it was my particular problem

Im just glad I dont have to worry about it any more........it rides great!!!
Same here. It is my wifes ride. I know these things are girl cars but you would think they could put a little more room in em for when we drive em. Glad I have my F250. Course I am tall and she is only about 5'2". She says she likes it better now than when the air was working right. So we are all happy, and me with the piece of mind that the suspension is not going to fail on her and the kids somewhere.
As old as these things are getting I would not hesitate to do the conversion. Wish I would have done it two years ago when the first sensor locked up.
Good luck to all.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 PM
2000silvernav
New User
Ill fix my air suspension I like it too much. Compressor is fine my truck just deflates in the rear overnight. I'm gonna throw 2 new bags in and start with that to see if that's the problem. If not ill work my way back replacing air tubing and any valves. My sensors are good I checked those today. I just hate the sagging !

Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 PM
alloro
Received 4,176 Likes on 2,421 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000silvernav
Ill fix my air suspension I like it too much.
I'm with you on that. No matter what I load into it, how many people I put in it, or if I have my trailer hooked up, it always stays level.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:10 AM
rowekmr
Elder User
I am with the 2 previous posters, I like my air suspension (for now). I was frustrated with it and did a lot of research on why my front would deflate and sometimes wouldn't inflate (when cold outside) and find out not only the bags go bad but the air spring upper mount tend to leak on older vehicles because of wear on them and seals/o rings going bad with age. The problem with mines is I let the air spring/pad leak wear out the compressor which was more $$$. Maybe we need a thread for people with air suspension problems who want to fix them!

Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 AM
rowekmr
Elder User
Girl Cars...mines is my daily driver .
I am 6' 04" and it is the roomiest vehicle I have owned next to my Excursion. It definitely does have its weak points (air suspension #1) but you can't beat 300 hp in a luxury suv that has a enough grunt where I am able to pull the same 2 trailers that I bought my Excursion for. Their bad reputation makes them a good bargain used for those who don't mind the quirks.
I know these things are girl cars but you would think they could put a little more room in em for when we drive em.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 AM
dr cabela
Senior User
Originally Posted by rowekmr
Girl Cars...mines is my daily driver .
I am 6' 04" and it is the roomiest vehicle I have owned next to my Excursion. It definitely does have its weak points (air suspension #1) but you can't beat 300 hp in a luxury suv that has a enough grunt where I am able to pull the same 2 trailers that I bought my Excursion for. Their bad reputation makes them a good bargain used for those who don't mind the quirks.

I agree...I love my 2005 expedition.....even w/ the air issues and the 3v spark plug issues...Ive dealt w/ both now and most of the little issues I can fix myself

As far as riding w/o the air I really havent noticed a difference.......I like not hearing the compressor turn on and having folks ask me "whats that sound?"

Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 PM
harleyguy27
New User
Originally Posted by Waylon77
Hey all. I got a 2005 Navigator that Im converting (too many headaches) and would like some insight. I plan on documenting the process in this thread.

What parts/brands were used?

Ride difference?

Vehicle height changes?

Any other info/pics you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I dont know if you already got a reply to this but I used MONROE. I bought directly from their website for what was needed for my model expy. It came with a whole kit for front and rear. I havent done the swap over yet but I believe the total price was in the $200 mark somewhere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tell your Air Suspension conversion story here please.