1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Tell your Air Suspension conversion story here please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 12:08 PM
LoGruvz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monroe Conversion

I am installing on my 2004 Navigator Ultimate 4X4 the Monroe 171369 (front) 171370 (rear) Quick-Strut Complete Strut Assembly replacing my air suspension system. I replaced the compressor last year and now after the big ice/snow storm in Atlanta my front shocks don't rise. Air compressor runs but no lift. Not going to go thru the O-ring and relay replacement ordeal just ready to get them off and put regular struts on. Bought them on Amazon Prime $130 each (x4) free shipping had them in 2 days. Got my mechanic I use from Craigslist installing them for $150 total the shop wanted $400. I also need to replace one of the CV axles I think crapped because of my low ride banging the CV boot which cracked open. Will follow up on this post after work is done and I ride for a few weeks. Can't wait!!!

Old 02-20-2014, 06:18 PM
gcburkett
Junior User
That is not a bad price for installation. I did it myself but its quite a bit of work.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:39 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
I did a strutmaster conversion on my wifes Nav and it is super easy. I would love to have a job doing these at $150 a pop. It was the first time I ever did anything like it and I bet it did not take much more than an hour. I am sure I could do the next one in less time. King pin bolts where the toughest to get out. I have a decent air impact that wouldnt break it loose. I am sure some of the new Snap On impact would do the job. but nothing a 2 foot breaker bar didnt take care of.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:25 PM
realmofo
New User
Hey guys, thanks for all the posts, very informative. I'm trying to make up my mind at the moment on the best aftermarket struts, but in the meantime, anyone have a spare height level adjuster they would like to sell for the front right suspension, mine just broke, trucks on the ground in the front.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:48 AM
5.4T
Elder User
Originally Posted by LoGruvz
I am installing on my 2004 Navigator Ultimate 4X4 the Monroe 171369 (front) 171370 (rear) Quick-Strut Complete Strut Assembly replacing my air suspension system. I replaced the compressor last year and now after the big ice/snow storm in Atlanta my front shocks don't rise. Air compressor runs but no lift. Not going to go thru the O-ring and relay replacement ordeal just ready to get them off and put regular struts on. Bought them on Amazon Prime $130 each (x4) free shipping had them in 2 days. Got my mechanic I use from Craigslist installing them for $150 total the shop wanted $400. I also need to replace one of the CV axles I think crapped because of my low ride banging the CV boot which cracked open. Will follow up on this post after work is done and I ride for a few weeks. Can't wait!!!
how well did yours do in the snow? I had to drive out in both winterstorms and mines a 2wd im also in Georgia

Old 02-23-2014, 12:24 PM
LoGruvz
New User
Finished conversion

Day 1: Mechanic from Craigslist came out to my office and installed the new CV right axle, and front shock replacements. All went smoothly, he needed a crowbar to align up the lower portion and get the bolt through. Then, ran in to issue with rears they are a few inches longer and he did not have a way to compress down. He had a tiny floor jack and it didn't cut it.
Day 2: He came back and we tried to use a bottle jack to compress but couldn't get it underneath - not enough clearance so we used a heavy duty ratchet strap and my new 3 ton low profile floor jack (I bought on sales from Harbor Freight on sale for 87 bucks). Popped the rears right in cabled up the dangling air and solenoids lines and off we go! I gave him another $150 he spent 2 good hours and worked his butt off. At first the truck looks like it is sitting real high but after a couple of days riding they come down to normal (speaking of the fronts right now as the rears I just finished). So far so happy...I will report back in a month or two as follow up. Oh yeah... if you have read about the "Suspension Warning" alert driving you crazy and can't turn off...on 2004 and up all you get is "Air suspension off" when you first start the car (this is after you turn the switch off in the rear panel). Just hit reset before you drive off and you won't see it again (until you turn the car off and start again). No big issue. I am sure there is a work-around if that bothers you but not a big deal for me.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:30 PM
LoGruvz
New User
Originally Posted by 5.4T
how well did yours do in the snow? I had to drive out in both winterstorms and mines a 2wd im also in Georgia
I didn't drive in the snow with the new conversion - I didn't have it yet. I did drive around in 4-wheel drive and it was fun. No problem, I think I am going to buy some chains though for the next time it snows.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:02 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by LoGruvz
Day 1: Mechanic from Craigslist came out to my office and installed the new CV right axle, and front shock replacements. All went smoothly, he needed a crowbar to align up the lower portion and get the bolt through. Then, ran in to issue with rears they are a few inches longer and he did not have a way to compress down. He had a tiny floor jack and it didn't cut it.
Day 2: He came back and we tried to use a bottle jack to compress but couldn't get it underneath - not enough clearance so we used a heavy duty ratchet strap and my new 3 ton low profile floor jack (I bought on sales from Harbor Freight on sale for 87 bucks). Popped the rears right in cabled up the dangling air and solenoids lines and off we go! I gave him another $150 he spent 2 good hours and worked his butt off. At first the truck looks like it is sitting real high but after a couple of days riding they come down to normal (speaking of the fronts right now as the rears I just finished). So far so happy...I will report back in a month or two as follow up. Oh yeah... if you have read about the "Suspension Warning" alert driving you crazy and can't turn off...on 2004 and up all you get is "Air suspension off" when you first start the car (this is after you turn the switch off in the rear panel). Just hit reset before you drive off and you won't see it again (until you turn the car off and start again). No big issue. I am sure there is a work-around if that bothers you but not a big deal for me.
So are you saying you paid $300 total to have them installed?
Having the right tools definetley helps and will make it go smooth. Maybe a little penetrating oil on the king pins a couple days prior if you do not have the right equip. to do the job.
Have had these strutmasters on for over a year now and the wife is still very happy with em.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:10 PM
LoGruvz
New User
Originally Posted by caverjoe
So are you saying you paid $300 total to have them installed?
Having the right tools definetley helps and will make it go smooth. Maybe a little penetrating oil on the king pins a couple days prior if you do not have the right equip. to do the job.
Have had these strutmasters on for over a year now and the wife is still very happy with em.
Yes I paid $300 total to have the 4 Monroe shocks plus the right CV axle installed.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:24 AM
dziskovs
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turn Suspension light off on 2003-2004 Navigators

FYI, I replaced my air ride with the strutmasters kit almost 2 years ago, and have been pushing the reset button every time I start it up. Strutmasters has come out with a module to eliminate the warning message for $400.

2003-2004 Navigator-Expedition Suspension Light Fix Module-Strutmasters (FX2M) | Strutmasters.com

I'm not too keen on spending $400 to turn the light off, but I figured I would post the link if anyone wants to try it out.

DZ

Old 04-27-2014, 07:55 AM
LoGruvz
New User
Originally Posted by dziskovs
FYI, I replaced my air ride with the strutmasters kit almost 2 years ago, and have been pushing the reset button every time I start it up. Strutmasters has come out with a module to eliminate the warning message for $400.

2003-2004 Navigator-Expedition Suspension Light Fix Module-Strutmasters (FX2M) | Strutmasters.com

I'm not too keen on spending $400 to turn the light off, but I figured I would post the link if anyone wants to try it out.

DZ
That's good info - thanks! I push the button too every day you only need to do it when you first start up and it stays off while driving so it isn't a big deal. I won't spend $400 for a $2 part.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:49 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dziskovs

DZ
Holly Hell!!! $400??? My wife said she will continue to push her reset button for free, but I did give her the option. She really like the strutmasters, but said the warning does not bother her that bad.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:19 PM
King Rex
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My rear bags failed just after towing out camper about 2 hours away! I had to ask a friend to pick up the camper for us. I never even tried to repair the system, went replacing them with the coil/ shock conversion kit. It came with the instructions and piece on how to disarm the warning light. It has been great since. $389 total and I installed myself..

Rear Air Suspension Conversion Kit | Ford Expedition 2007-2012

Old 11-10-2014, 01:45 AM
SammyOne
Freshman User
Do you lose the traction control (Advtrac?) after the coil spring conversion? If so, is this on all 2nd gens or just early or late 2nd gens? Any way to restore it?

Old 11-10-2014, 07:25 AM
LoGruvz
New User
Originally Posted by SammyOne
Do you lose the traction control (Advtrac?) after the coil spring conversion? If so, is this on all 2nd gens or just early or late 2nd gens? Any way to restore it?
I did not lose anything. Everything works the same.

Quick Reply: Tell your Air Suspension conversion story here please.