Sponsored by:

Tow Mirror Question (Odd one)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 01:25 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
Hence my statement "Some states". I don't want to make a blanket statement on one state when all 50 have members who see the board.
I didn't think you were making a blanket statement. I was just taking your general statement and adding info specific to California.

Remember folks, if you don't have an answer to the original question, it's OK NOT to post a reply.
Wow, really?

Okee dokee.

Stewart

Old 10-29-2011, 01:42 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Wow, really?

Okee dokee.

Stewart
Wasn't directed at you, Stewart.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:50 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I know there is different type's of tow mirrors and mine came with signals in the outside cover already. So my point is that the outside cover is removable which contains the signal at least on the type I have so I would think you could remove the outside cover ( front of mirror ) and install what you want. There are clips behind the mirror glass which hold the cover on and are accessed by moving the power mirror to stops ( up, down, left, right). I know this due to having to replace the cover when I purchased my EX. Hope this is helpful!

Old 10-29-2011, 08:35 AM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wasn't directed at you, Stewart.
Pretty sure he's awre that it wasn't directed toward him... Lighten the fluck. Good luck with your answer...

Old 10-29-2011, 09:54 AM
hardRESET
Why yes, it is that big..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Moderator for a day...

LOCK the thread so he would not get any more answers
Account suspended until he can get a sense of humor
Might allow him to post one thread to ask us where he can find said "sense of humor"

lighten up Robert... You didn't snap at the others when they were trying to quote you laws to make sure that you knew them before you put your flashing lights on your truck. You could have stopped them and said, I know the frickin' law, I just want my light question answered!

We are all here to help with comradery and which usually comes a little fun...

Old 10-29-2011, 09:56 AM
gatormccluskey
Posting Guru
Somebody needs a nap

Old 10-29-2011, 07:10 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
"LOCK the thread so he would not get any more answers
Might allow him to post one thread to ask us where he can find said "sense of humor"

lighten up Robert... You didn't snap at the others when they were trying to quote you laws to make sure that you knew them before you put your flashing lights on your truck. You could have stopped them and said, I know the frickin' law, I just want my light question answered!

We are all here to help with comradery and which usually comes a little fun..."

"Lighten the fluck."

...exactly who do we think is lacking a sense of humor? A little sarcasm and suddenly everyone gets self conscious. It's a JOKE people...go get a nicotine fix or whatever you need to do to relax a little.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:18 PM
hardRESET
Why yes, it is that big..

Red face Hmmm...

"LOCK the thread so he would not get any more answers

We are all here to help with comradery and which usually comes a little fun..."

"Lighten the fluck."

...exactly who do we think is lacking a sense of humor? A little sarcasm and suddenly everyone gets self conscious. It's a JOKE people...go get a nicotine fix or whatever you need to do to relax a little.
When someone usually does a joke, there is a wink or a JK, etc.

BUT let me be the the first to apologize , if I misread your response, just as did several others...

Old 10-29-2011, 07:23 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by cbradford
I know there is different type's of tow mirrors and mine came with signals in the outside cover already. So my point is that the outside cover is removable which contains the signal at least on the type I have so I would think you could remove the outside cover ( front of mirror ) and install what you want. There are clips behind the mirror glass which hold the cover on and are accessed by moving the power mirror to stops ( up, down, left, right). I know this due to having to replace the cover when I purchased my EX. Hope this is helpful!
What year is yours? It sounds like your mirror is like my Expedition was where you can get black, color matched or chrome caps based on trim level.

Mine appears to be completely solid - one formed piece of plastic. I dont see any type of seam where it could pop off, plus the "bridge" between the bottom convex and top flat mirrors appears to be solid to the sides...makes me think there is no way to pop it off if that is atached to both sides.

I'll take a pic to illustrate. Even so, I would imagine the inside of the mirror (adjustment motor mounts etc.) would be the same. Why re-engineer the mirror guts if you don't need to, right?

If the mirror pops off the adjustment motor, then it SHOULD be as easy as removing the motor screws to get access to where I would attach the lights and run the wiring. Problem is, off of the single drawing I found on the Internet of the inside of the mirror housing, it doesn't show any kind of screws holding the mirror motor to the housing. I have one of those inspection cameras on a flexible tube, but I can't get it between the mirror and the housing, even at full stop (the camera housing is too big) to check it out.

I was hoping someone on here had replaced a mirror motor (and could report back how it is mounted to the housing) instead of what I am guessing most people have done which is upgraded the entire mirror to a signal unit.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:28 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by hardRESET
When someone usually does a joke, there is a wink or a JK, etc.

BUT let me be the the first to apologize , if I misread your response, just as did several others...
I see how that could have been misread.
How about we all agree to better let folks know
when we are joking and when we are serious

Seriously though, I wasn't ticked at everyone, just screwing around with how the post went from "how the hell did Ford make these mirrors?" to the depths of (sometimes rediculous) CA laws

Old 10-29-2011, 07:29 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
What year is yours? It sounds like your mirror is like my Expedition was where you can get black, color matched or chrome caps based on trim level.

Mine appears to be completely solid - one formed piece of plastic. I dont see any type of seam where it could pop off, plus the "bridge" between the bottom convex and top flat mirrors appears to be solid to the sides...makes me think there is no way to pop it off if that is atached to both sides.

I'll take a pic to illustrate. Even so, I would imagine the inside of the mirror (adjustment motor mounts etc.) would be the same. Why re-engineer the mirror guts if you don't need to, right?

If the mirror pops off the adjustment motor, then it SHOULD be as easy as removing the motor screws to get access to where I would attach the lights and run the wiring. Problem is, off of the single drawing I found on the Internet of the inside of the mirror housing, it doesn't show any kind of screws holding the mirror motor to the housing. I have one of those inspection cameras on a flexible tube, but I can't get it between the mirror and the housing, even at full stop (the camera housing is too big) to check it out.

I was hoping someone on here had replaced a mirror motor (and could report back how it is mounted to the housing) instead of what I am guessing most people have done which is upgraded the entire mirror to a signal unit.
I have an 05 with factory tow mirrors and they are like the pic in #9 post by hardRESET

Old 10-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
It's a JOKE people...
Insert another Okee Dokee here....

Originally Posted by hardRESET
... if I misread your response, just as did several others...
[raises hand] Guilty.....

I see how that could have been misread...Seriously though, I wasn't ticked at everyone...
Cool, then I gotta ask, what the heck is a DSW?

Stewart

Old 10-30-2011, 03:06 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Cool, then I gotta ask, what the heck is a DSW?

Stewart
DSW = Disaster Service Worker

Old 10-31-2011, 01:11 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
May have found them?

Found an inspection camera with a smaller actual camera...on the driver side mirror I found these:
Top Left of mirror:

Botom Left of mirror:

Bottom Right of mirror:

Maybe these mount the motor to the housing?

Old 11-01-2011, 02:53 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by cbradford
So my point is that the outside cover is removable which contains the signal at least on the type I have so I would think you could remove the outside cover ( front of mirror ) and install what you want.
You were right. The mirror appeared to be solid - there was no discernable 'lip' or 'seam' between the front and back of the mirror, so it looked like it was one molded piece of plastic.

When I took the mirror glass off, I found 5 screws (4 in the top section, one in the bottom 'blind spot' section). When I started to take those off, the seam appeared. It's actually a front panel and a back panel that attaches to a small center piece that lets it slide in and out.

Looks like I can run right through the front shell just as long as I keep the bolts on the back small (or just run through both the front and back panel.

Last edited by robert_l_ross; 11-01-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: Tow Mirror Question (Odd one)