To KingPin or not to KingPin

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:55 AM
kwe45919
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To KingPin or not to KingPin

76 F150 Longbed 390/C6/9in

I've been replacing everything up front, complete suspension, bushings along with removing items for paint and such as well. Making it all look nice and pretty.
Here's the delima:
My current kingpins are tight, no wobble-loosness-shiftyness, grease nipple still functions and everything seems right with them. I've heard a set of king pins will last the life of the truck......sooooo.....to change them (just because everything else is new) or not to? (since it aint broke don't fix it)

I'm torn. Getting the kingpins changed will delay the refurb/rebuild another two weeks or so and the weather may not hold out long enough to get everything put back together, to get the truck onto the trailer, to get it to the engine shop for it's new heart transplant.....

Not that's it's too hard to pull the rotor hubs and pull the I beams in the future if I needed to but I just can't make up my mind either way.

So do KingPins actually last the life of the truck?? (maybe another 30 yrs?)(60+years total?)

Old 10-28-2011, 10:12 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
.. great question. I think that's Shakespeare, right?

First, kudos for detailing the entire front end because that takes alot of patience. Not only will painting the parts protect them, but to me it's very rewarding not having to work on a grungy truck (after it is assembled).

Kingpins can last a lifetime IF they are diligently maintained . With that said, you're probably not the original owner so their actual condition is unknown regardless if they feel as if they have no play. However, the subsequent work needs to be done and a matter of priority. I'd pass on the kingpins for now just to stay on schedule.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:24 AM
4x4 Bart
Fleet Mechanic
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Leave those king pins alone, They are better than the ones they make today!!!!

Old 10-28-2011, 12:24 PM
kwe45919
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
First, kudos for detailing the entire front end because that takes alot of patience. Not only will painting the parts protect them, but to me it's very rewarding not having to work on a grungy truck (after it is assembled).

Kingpins can last a lifetime IF they are diligently maintained . With that said, you're probably not the original owner so their actual condition is unknown regardless if they feel as if they have no play. However, the subsequent work needs to be done and a matter of priority. I'd pass on the kingpins for now just to stay on schedule.

The detailing is actuall ignorance and ADHD. I figured I touch up a few things while the engine is being built....then the ADHD kicked in. Though simple to actually do and easy to tear apart, it's the little things like replacing every bolt and washer and brake line or spring cup that's startin' to kill me right now. It's one of the reasons I'm behind now....

As far as knowing the origional owner...yep I do. Rode in the truck many times as a teenager. One of the reasons I kinda feel "OK" leaving the origionals in. If the grease nipples weren't working, I'd be more sketcy but since I can squeeze fresh grease in, I think I may let it slide for now unless someone else convinces me otherwise....

Old 10-28-2011, 02:14 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kwe45919
The detailing is actuall ignorance and ADHD. I figured I touch up a few things while the engine is being built....then the ADHD kicked in. Though simple to actually do and easy to tear apart, it's the little things like replacing every bolt and washer and brake line or spring cup that's startin' to kill me right now. It's one of the reasons I'm behind now....

As far as knowing the origional owner...yep I do. Rode in the truck many times as a teenager. One of the reasons I kinda feel "OK" leaving the origionals in. If the grease nipples weren't working, I'd be more sketcy but since I can squeeze fresh grease in, I think I may let it slide for now unless someone else convinces me otherwise....
ADD or ADHD? I'm with ya there... I've been dabbling with an auxiliary battery for three weekends. I'm also prepping for a disc swap on my 70 and cleaned and painted every square inch of the rotors' vents... with a Q-tip!

Old 10-28-2011, 05:59 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Guys - that's OCD - which I have as well. My problem is the ADD kicks in for me and I go work on a completely different project. There is a reason I have 3-4 builds going on at once. That reason is "car ADD". The Reason they are all never done is I'm **** about doing things right = OCD.

I just tore into the wiring on my alfa last night. It will take a lot longer to get the thing working redoing a bunch of it the way I am, but I want the thing RIGHT!

Oh - and as far as the kingpins go - like all have said - leave um!

Old 10-28-2011, 06:20 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
Guys - that's OCD - which I have as well. My problem is the ADD kicks in for me and I go work on a completely different project. There is a reason I have 3-4 builds going on at once. That reason is "car ADD". The Reason they are all never done is I'm **** about doing things right = OCD.

I just tore into the wiring on my alfa last night. It will take a lot longer to get the thing working redoing a bunch of it the way I am, but I want the thing RIGHT!
OMG, we're AFU! Thanks ChaseTruck for setting us right on the acronymization. Holy smoke -I'm starting to verbify nouns.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:02 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 846 Likes on 765 Posts
Keep the pins, you can always replace them in the vehicle later, with out pulling the axles. Keep up the good work.