Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Question for those with some miles on their's....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:39 PM
2011FX2Crazy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question for those with some miles on their's....

I've only had my F-150 for 2400 miles but I am curious about a few things.

In regards to the Turbo's.... I am quite familiar with the turbo whine as I've had a couple in the past... My EB turbo's are pretty much silent... I have only heard them twice since I bought it... Once towing a 8000 lb trailer and secondly when I towed out boat last weekend. When the truck is empty I never hear them and I run with the drivers window down allot.
My question is: Do the turbo's get any louder as more mileage gets on it? I want to hear them... I love that sound!

In regards to mileage, I know mileage varies with terrain and driving styles but this is more of a general inquiry
Does this EB gain mileage as it gets some miles on it or remain fairly the same as when it's new? I'm very pleased with what I'm getting now and curious if it will get any better?

In regards to the 6 speed tranny. Has anyone experienced what feels like a shudder between 1st and second on upshift? I may be wrong and it could be a misfire but it only does it at the time of a 1st to 2nd shift so I'm inclined to think it's the tranny.
I mentioned it to my dealer and he blew it off and said it is normal . Doesn't feel normal to me.

And Lastly, For those who have and have used the ESP..... What is the consensus on this extended warranty... Do dealers give you any problems with it? Does it really cover all it says? Do dealers try to upsell you stuff claiming it's non warranty related?

I purchased a 8/80K extended warranty on my 06 Ram and out of the three times I needed to use the warranty, they tried their damn'est to sell me stuff everytime I went in there claiming the problem was the need for some high dollar service and not warranty... eventually they made the repairs once they realized I wasn't buying their BS... I don't want any part of that again..

Thanks in advance for your time,
Jess

Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only speak about the extended warranty, and my recommendation is to NOT get it. Chances are you'll be ahead over time if you never purchase extended warranties.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:16 PM
2011FX2Crazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by flixden
I can only speak about the extended warranty, and my recommendation is to NOT get it. Chances are you'll be ahead over time if you never purchase extended warranties.
Alright, Appreciate it... I'll keep that in mind.
I've rarely ever bought extended warranties however this is a new engine and new design so I am concerned about the longevity of the engine and turbo's so I am considering purchasing protection...

I'd rather have it and never need it, then need it and not have it.....

Old 10-27-2011, 10:27 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 2011FX2Crazy
I'd rather have it and never need it, then need it and not have it.....
I am the other way around, and we are all different (luckily!). I rather keep that money in my hands, and if needed, pay for the repair with that money.
I take good care of my vehicles, never purchased an extended warranty, and never needed one. I have bought 5 new vehicles so far in our family, and assuming $1,500 per car for extended warranty coverage, I have saved $7,500 so far.
So if the EB that is coming my way stays outside of $9,000 in repairs after warranty expiration, I am still ahead. I take the risk, again, any time. And if something happens, I'll just pay for it with the past savings, and don't have to argue with some representative on the phone about what is and what is not covered.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:50 AM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I usually can hear a slight whine from the turbos while driving with the windows down. You should hear them without any problem with first start up in the morning!! I too wish they were a little louder! I had a powerstroke with a 4" exhaust from the turbo and loved the sound!!

Old 10-28-2011, 05:28 AM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
Originally Posted by flixden
I bought the ESP (cost $1400+-) as most major repairs on these trucks will be much more than the cost of the policy. My first purchase of an ESP was in 1985 for a almost new BMW, after about 300 miles the cam shaft had to be replaced at a cost of $2300.00 (German parts-not cheap), the ESP (cost $1200) kicked in and my part of the repair was $50.00. I even buy them for the washing machine/dryer/ice box. Over the years if added up the costs of the ESPs vs the cost of the repairs, I'm ahead. Just think the repair for a turbo or computer on these newer trucks. You buy insurance for just about everything else in your life. Chris

Old 10-28-2011, 05:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I usually only hear my turbos on start up. Otherwise when I'm gittin it, it's just a throaty sound.

As for the tranny, it does feel different than any other transmission that I've ever had especially during down shifts. Up shifts are smooth as buttah but the down shifts as the truck slows are more pronounced. It's nothing that concerns me as I feel that this is the nature of the beast.

I have about 4800 miles on mine and I haven't really noticed a huge improvement in mpg's, it's been very consistent.

As for the warranty, I'll re-evaluate this at 30K miles and if I feel the need, I'll buy an ESP from Ford on line or from someone on FTE.

The biggest mistake a person can make is to 1). Buy one from the car dealer and 2). buy one at the time of purchase of the new car.

Buying a vehicle is emotional especially for a guy like myself who only does this every 5-7 years. Dealers feed off of this and "for only a few dollars more"............

Old 10-28-2011, 05:58 AM
MKEBoost
Senior User
I hear the turbo whine at startup and anytime I'm putting even a little weight on the pedal. I have about 1000 miles so far so I know I am not in the higher mileage group that you were posting for.

As far as the ESP, I did purchase it for peace of mind. $1400 for the premium bumper to bumper 5 years or 100,000 miles. I think it's a good investment IMO, but I can understand why some think it's not. It's all up to the individual. I don't buy extended warranties for other items...only cars/trucks as I've seen how much it costs to repair even the simplest thing...

Just my opinion....

Old 10-28-2011, 07:20 AM
2011FX2Crazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev
I usually can hear a slight whine from the turbos while driving with the windows down. You should hear them without any problem with first start up in the morning!! I too wish they were a little louder! I had a powerstroke with a 4" exhaust from the turbo and loved the sound!!
I would like it more pronounced myself.

Originally Posted by Chris Anchor
I bought the ESP (cost $1400+-) as most major repairs on these trucks will be much more than the cost of the policy. My first purchase of an ESP was in 1985 for a almost new BMW, after about 300 miles the cam shaft had to be replaced at a cost of $2300.00 (German parts-not cheap), the ESP (cost $1200) kicked in and my part of the repair was $50.00. I even buy them for the washing machine/dryer/ice box. Over the years if added up the costs of the ESPs vs the cost of the repairs, I'm ahead. Just think the repair for a turbo or computer on these newer trucks. You buy insurance for just about everything else in your life. Chris
I agree with you.... If I needed it one time it would pay for itself... I think I'm gonna seriously look into it.

Thanks for all replies everyone...

Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I buy extended warranties only for the fact that I put a lot of miles on my vehicles quickly (I hit 36,000 miles in 2 years or less) and I want it covered while I'm still paying on it. That's just me. Definitely buy it online or from a sponsor for a much lower rate than what most local dealers will quote you.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:31 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Extended warranties benefit those who sell them the most, otherwise they would not be sold.
If it gives you piece of mind, go ahead and buy them, but be aware that the odds are (strongly) against you from a purely financial perspective.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:47 AM
2011FX2Crazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by juneau76
I buy extended warranties only for the fact that I put a lot of miles on my vehicles quickly (I hit 36,000 miles in 2 years or less) and I want it covered while I'm still paying on it. That's just me. Definitely buy it online or from a sponsor for a much lower rate than what most local dealers will quote you.
I got a quote for the premium package for $1306 for the 75,000 mile plan and a $100 deductible...seems very reasonable to me.

I know when the alternator failed on my Dodge, I claimed it on the extended warranty and the bill was just shy of $550. the alternator alone from dodge was $300+.
I was out a $50 deductible and very happy to pay it.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Dead Meat
Freshman User
My first tank was 87 gas and the turbos were very silent. I've been running 93 since then and I hear them more frequent now and they are very audible. Everytime I make a turn and accelerate, you can hear them. Maybe it's the 93 gas or the fact that it's breaking in. I only have 850 miles on it so far.

It gets harder to hear that high pitched sound the older you get too. I'm only 25 and I got hearing like a dog.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:54 PM
laketrout
Senior User
I hear the turbos the most right after it shifts into second gear if you apply a little more pressure on the gas pedal. Can hear it with the windows up.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:49 PM
2011FX2Crazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dead Meat
My first tank was 87 gas and the turbos were very silent. I've been running 93 since then and I hear them more frequent now and they are very audible. Everytime I make a turn and accelerate, you can hear them. Maybe it's the 93 gas or the fact that it's breaking in. I only have 850 miles on it so far.

It gets harder to hear that high pitched sound the older you get too. I'm only 25 and I got hearing like a dog.
That must be it...I'm so "Old" I can't hear it LoL.

Originally Posted by laketrout
I hear the turbos the most right after it shifts into second gear if you apply a little more pressure on the gas pedal. Can hear it with the windows up.
See Above

Quick Reply: Question for those with some miles on their's....