1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Sad day, possibly loosing the Stroke

Old 10-27-2011, 10:53 AM
PowerstrokeRyan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Sad day, possibly loosing the Stroke

Well boys, Im sad to say that i might be loosing my truck. As i was driving down the highway my driver side tire came off.... Not popped or loose, completely off. I know for a fact The lugs were tight cause i checked them twice after i put tires on. Someone deliberately loosened the lug nuts at school or during the night outside my house. I find it hard for 8 lug nuts to just turn themselves loose. The damage is minimum to the body if none. My tire going 60 hit a brand new H3 and took off his fender. My rotor is just about flat on the bottom from dragging on the concrete. My nice alcoa is all banged up. Broke a stud off the axle. I have full coverage so im not worried about the Hummer or anything, but the insurance company knows this truck has 240k on it and to replace the rotor, get alignment, new rim, and replace the axle shaft is what i was told around 3,000 to fix so hopefully they think my truck is worth more than that. I highly doubt they will due to the body, and mileage on truck. Long story short i might not have a truck to talk to you guys about. EDIT! My grandfather (used to be mechanic for Jack rousch before he got big) looked at it and said the damage is Lower balljoint is rubbed down along with about an inch of rotor. Rim has threads in the holes. Im not sure but that seems like minor stuff. to me if the lower is bad the upper probably needs to be replaced as well right? if they replace one side dont they have to do it to the other?? would this accident cause an allignment to be needed.. I guess im kind of loss. I guess im asking you guys if you can explain all the problems that might have occured during this process. The Tbb looks a little different but not to the point where i think an appraisor would notice. Thanks guys

Old 10-27-2011, 11:20 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
It's ultimately your choice. If your insurance company totals the truck, that's only considered "totalled" from a monetary standpoint; it's NOT "totalled" wrt. whether it's safe to repair. You can "buy back" the truck from the insurance company for its scrap value. In WI, the title never even changes hands, thus the status doesn't change; you simply get a check for the "total" value minus the scrap value, and keep the truck to fix yourself. Is this a TTB, and the beam is okay? If so, I'd say that's quite a bit less than $3000 to fix. More like $2000. A used Alcoa should be had for $50-100, for example.

Separate from that, if you have reason to suspect that this happend as a result of an intentional act, you should report it as a crime. Even if it was random and not directed at you, acts like this can and do kill people. And it may not be the only recent case of its kind in your area, so information about it could be useful to the authorities.

Glad you're alright; some angel must've been lookin' over your shoulder.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:21 AM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
Sounds like you pissed someone off and im curious did you notice it shaking or steering
Bad right before time came off?

Old 10-27-2011, 11:27 AM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
I had a rear tire come off once cuz the lug nuts was wrong and wollered out a aluminum rim then the back of the truck dropped and the wheel and tire passed me lucky no one else was on the road and the fix was as simple as the right lug nuts it ground away the back plate on the rear drums and the u bolt studs but the truck was fine

I think it could be fixed really cheap if you can take apart the front end to replace the rotor

Old 10-27-2011, 11:34 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by arkredneck
I had a rear tire come off once cuz the lug nuts was wrong and wollered out a aluminum rim then the back of the truck dropped and the wheel and tire passed me lucky no one else was on the road and the fix was as simple as the right lug nuts it ground away the back plate on the rear drums and the u bolt studs but the truck was fine

I think it could be fixed really cheap if you can take apart the front end to replace the rotor
I agree. You should be able to fix it much cheaper, depending on what ins gives you, you might have a few extra bucks. Terrible news though, glad nobody was hurt

Old 10-27-2011, 12:07 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, don't let the insurance company push you around. Heck, I would kinda hope they do total it. With the money they pay you, minus the scrap value, you could likely have yourself a D60 in the front if you're inclined to do the work yourself. And for what it's worth I think your truck's bluebook value should be well in excess of $3k. Around here they are anyway. I just bought a parts truck that was a F250 4x2 with a PSD with a marginal body and 260k miles on it and the bluebook was like $4200 or something (I paid a lot less than that for it though). At any rate, good luck getting things pieced back together.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:02 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Yeah, don't let the insurance company push you around. Heck, I would kinda hope they do total it. With the money they pay you, minus the scrap value, you could likely have yourself a D60 in the front if you're inclined to do the work yourself.
YES, my thoughts exactly! i couldnt think of a better excuse

D60 straight axle that bad boy, throw a RSK in with some SD v-codes and ride out like nothing happened! i guarantee you, if you do the work yourself, you will have a better truck and you will spend less then $3000! $1200 for the axle, $300 for the RSK, $150 for used springs, and $200 for odds and ends. with a D60 and RSK at the same time you should not have to get the driveshaft modified!

look at it as a blessing!

-cutts-

Old 10-27-2011, 01:50 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
^^^^^^ Sometimes, instead of knocking, opportunity slides in with a shower of sparks.....

Old 10-27-2011, 01:59 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^^ Sometimes, instead of knocking, opportunity slides in with a shower of sparks.....
I like it! And tears the fender off a puny H3...

Old 10-27-2011, 02:13 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I like it! And tears the fender off a puny H3...
That's opportunity taking a random bounce (which it does sometimes).

Old 10-27-2011, 03:14 PM
PowerstrokeRyan
Senior User
Thanks guys its nice to know you guys care I just got the call they are sending an estimator out to check out the damage. I Dont think they will but like you said it would be nice. I would buy it back and the extra money finish it up. I wouldnt mind doing the d60 swap planned on it anyways

Old 10-27-2011, 04:49 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
You could even keep the tbb and do injectors cooking mist d66 and maybe electric fuel

Old 10-27-2011, 05:31 PM
PowerstrokeRyan
Senior User
I added more info to the top if you guys are interested.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:54 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Sorry about your truck man, some pictures will help us diagnose it further for you.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:55 PM
PowerstrokeRyan
Senior User
alright ill try and get some up tomorrow. I would just like to know how much its going to cost before the insurance company tells me my truck isnt worth fixing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sad day, possibly loosing the Stroke