6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

maybe a new 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 05:16 PM
doublenot7
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm loving 6.7L, my only complaint is the cost of the vehicle. Wish it would have been less, don't we all! My last Ford truck literally saved my life at the cost of it's own. That alone pretty much made me a customer for life. Where is my commercial deal?

Concerning catastrophic failure: If there is a problem and at the end of the day you are told you are SOL, that is not the final word. There is such a thing as product liability and the final word could very well be decided by 12 of your peers.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:48 PM
kabur66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grandlaker
So I am new on here. I have been lurking on the site for a long time and am very impressed with all the info. I have a 2011 f250 6.2 crew cab fx4. I have had nothing but trouble with the truck. transfer case, hubs, axle, two power stearing pumps,ect ect. So we are in the process of trying to get ford the buy back or pursue lemon law. All advised by my dealer who has been awesome and great service. So if this happens I will probably buy a f350 with a 6.7, all my friends in Maine who run the 6.7's love them and none have had a single problem and they have 25,000-50,000 miles. It seems that by following the site there are a fair amount of problems. what are your thoughts?
Well, I don't know. I have to hand it to you for being open minded about considering another Ford given your problems and Ricks problems. Being objective, maybe you and Rick are an extreme case. I hope so. I think that my F-350 is a great truck, and I would buy another one.

The only problem I see is that you live in Maine, a really, really, cold place. I don't think that diesel trucks work reliablrly in a cold climate. A lot of people up north have CEL problems. My truck goes from PA in the summer to FL in the winter.

If you are going to buy a diesel truck in cold climate, then Ford is as good as the next. Especially, If you have a Good Dealer that you can trust.

Good luck. A great dealer is very important.

ken

Old 10-28-2011, 07:42 PM
grandlaker
New User
I have never had a problem with Ford deisels up here in the cold. I still run a 7.3 and i ran a 04 . 6.0 for 140,000 and had absolutly no problem. changed the brakes and did the ball joints. probably one of the few trouble free 6.0's Anyway I find that changing fuel filters every 7-10,000 in the winter and running good fuel is key to cold enviorments. when I make the leap of faith with a 6.7 I hope I have the same luck

Old 10-28-2011, 08:20 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never had a problem with Ford deisels up here in the cold. I still run a 7.3 and i ran a 04 . 6.0 for 140,000 and had absolutly no problem. changed the brakes and did the ball joints. probably one of the few trouble free 6.0's Anyway I find that changing fuel filters every 7-10,000 in the winter and running good fuel is key to cold enviorments. when I make the leap of faith with a 6.7 I hope I have the same luck
I've always been a proponent of fuel quality in todays diesels. Just adding cetane booster in a 6.4 increases fuel mileage. Everything that was an issue with the 6.0 touched fuel, weather burned or unburned. Ford has had a lubricity additive since the 7.3 days, its old news. Both the 6.4 and the 6.7 benifit from more volatile fuel.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
So I am new on here. I have been lurking on the site for a long time and am very impressed with all the info. I have a 2011 f250 6.2 crew cab fx4. I have had nothing but trouble with the truck. transfer case, hubs, axle, two power stearing pumps,ect ect. So we are in the process of trying to get ford the buy back or pursue lemon law. All advised by my dealer who has been awesome and great service. So if this happens I will probably buy a f350 with a 6.7, all my friends in Maine who run the 6.7's love them and none have had a single problem and they have 25,000-50,000 miles. It seems that by following the site there are a fair amount of problems. what are your thoughts?
If I were in the market for a diesel pickup I wouldnt hesitate to by a F250, F350, or F450. I think they are the best heavy duty pickups on the road today. GM's got it's plus's (like the 9th injector for regen), and Dodge has the Inline 6 Cummins (I'm a fan of inline diesel engine designs) but overall Ford makes to best truck out there. While the powerplant is important, I've never purchased (or not purchased) a vehicle for the engine only. There are other factors like tranny, driveability, sturdiness, overall build quality, the ride, options, etc. I could go on for days. Heck, when I had my F350 dually with the 7.3 I loved the darn thing. The engine was great but I got rid of it because the rest of the truck was falling apart. Here and there repairs add up after a while. The 6.7 is a great engine but you also want to consider the rest of the truck which I think is top notch.

Yeah, we have read about Rick's troubles, but please dont base your decision off of one or several isolated incidents.

In the 2011 (and upcoming 2012) diesel pickup world, manufacturers are calling more engine repairs into question (and sometimes denying warranty repairs) because of the costs associated with them so be aware of this. It's not just Ford giving in to those types of practices but GM, Dodge, Honda, and Toyota will do the same thing that Ford has done to Rick. This is not just an exclusive Ford problem. Those of us who were around the older diesels remember that repairs would be covered under warranty in the blink of an eye, but that's slowly disappearing in some cases.

I remember that a reman engine replacement for the 7.3 was around 8500-9000 and when complete it was like having a brand new engine. Now, just the cost to replace the HPFP, system, and injectors is 9000.00. Make no mistake about it, these new high performance diesels are expensive.

So, as stated earlier, I wouldnt hesitate to buy a Ford diesel if I needed one but just understand that the climate for warranty repairs has changed somewhat from the days of the older diesel. The Ford Superduty diesel package is still the best out there.

On a side note:

Now, if Ford would just come out with a limited production 6.7 Excursion (like the one shown in the post below (page 1 post #11)) I'd be all over it!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...er-engine.html

Old 11-01-2011, 03:07 PM
NWF150
Junior User
Originally Posted by NWF150
I say thank you to Rick and all of the other FTE members who have been commenting on the issues they have had as my wife and I are looking into a New Diesel for her to drive to school and back. The forums on Ricks situation and others like it have been very informing for a person that may be looking to buy. I have gone to my local dealers and been researching the service departments and whatever else I can find out.

To sum it all up we will be probably doing paper work in the next few days on a 2011 if they will give us what we want for her Dodge Nitro. Hope I can post some pics of it as soon as we get it home.
Deal fell apart on a new truck ( wouldn't give us what we wanted out of the Nitro) we are selling it now then will go back with a cash down. We have no hesitation in buying a new truck, probably the last NEW truck I will buy so it will be the right deal or not happening.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:47 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Sorry to hear that. I am going through the same thing for my wife who wants a Explorer. The dealer never gives you enough for the trade, but they sure do charge enough for a new one.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:20 PM
doublenot7
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem with the trade in and new purchase process is that the dealer essentially operates as two different entities: new car and used car. The used car sales manager doesn't care you are buying a new vehicle, he only cares what he can make from your trade in. The used car department has cost many salesmen their new vehicle sales. I know I walked away from a few dealers when purchasing my 2011 F250 because what they offered for my 2010 F150 was so ridiculous.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:11 AM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I visited 12 dealers prior to finding one that was not low-balling me on the trade-in. Then I told them to grab the truck from another dealer that actually had the vehicle I wanted, in stock. I had success with the smaller dealers where the new and used car department are the same department, not across the street from each other.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:45 AM
NWF150
Junior User
Originally Posted by kmonty2
Sorry to hear that. I am going through the same thing for my wife who wants a Explorer. The dealer never gives you enough for the trade, but they sure do charge enough for a new one.
Her Nitro is 3 yrs old and only has 17,500 miles and they are offering us the NADA RUFF trade in value for a bone stock car not a SRT-8. The differance is almost 6K that is big a gap for me. Have a Vet coming to look at it today. Hope it sells

Old 11-03-2011, 11:35 PM
DogDoc32
New User
Gotta reply to Crazy001: Tim G. here. As for your response to my post, I was NOTtalking about Rick's truck, I WAS talking about MY truck . It seems I have hit a nerve with you on Ford. I am 62 years old and have most likely owned more Fords than you have seen. I will take note to your advise about what can and cannot be said on this forum . However, this does not relieve Ford from responsibility of product quality. I do not know what your connection is with Ford, but, I have $300,000.00 invested in Ford trucks and will say anything I want to. If you prefer, I simply will go to other sites with freedom of speach. GOOD DAY,,,Tim G. in N.C. and my dealer in Morganton, N.C. still sucks too.