6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ricks fuel pump analysis

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ricks fuel pump analysis

Even though I have only met Rick once - I respect his comments and decisions. But even though I got a 6.2 I wanna hear about the 6.7. Tom has shut down the other threads dealing with Rick's problems & probably rightly so.

Rick bought the fuel pump at his expense so we want pictures and diagnosis.

Personally I was gonna trade the gasser for a diesel (I haul some heavy wieght) but am on hold 'til this is analyzed before I trade.

So let's keep it clean until Rick gives us some real data.

By the way if Rick got screwed - any of us could - he is the most relaxed, not hot
Headed , pure Ford costumer out there!

Old 10-27-2011, 06:26 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Byram

Thanks for the kind words.

I was surprised to see the threads closed this morning. I have not had time to disassemble the pump...maybe next week...

Regards

Old 10-27-2011, 07:03 AM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Those photos should be interesting............Don't really know what we will be able to gleen from them, but never the less we are curious...........Hopefully, Bosch engineers have been able to get to the root cause of the problem by inspecting the damaged pumps.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:49 AM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Rick if you can't see it, or don't have a lab to send it to, OR possibly your insurance company doesn't want it, you may want to keep it un-touched after it's removal. I say that because you may be able to provide valuable info for the NHTSA investigation.

If that's not any way shape or form gonna happen, I have suppliers that provide us metals, and they coat parts for us. We use many different types while coating steel, stainless steel and aluminum parts for many different applications. I should be able to pull a favor from one of them as I am the Engineering Manager and also oversee our R&D group.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:33 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
I have the pump and all the other parts. I have not disassembled the pump...yet. I have had more than one email suggesting I save it intact for a possible trip to NHSTA...

Regards

Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 AM
PumpDoctor
Senior User
Rickatic

I must ask did ford or somebody take the pump apart for analysis? How was it determined to because of bad fuel? Did they empty the gas tank to prove water in fuel? Sorry i didn't catch the other threads that appear to be shut down.

I have 12 years of experiance as a level three certified failure analysis engineer specializing in high pressure metering pumps with pressures up to 50,000 psi. I work for a large rotating equipment distributor and this has caught my interest.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:10 AM
bookem15
Senior User
subscribing

Old 10-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Davgt500
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also subscribing!

Old 10-27-2011, 06:09 PM
GZip
Senior User
Originally Posted by PumpDoctor
Rickatic

I must ask did ford or somebody take the pump apart for analysis? How was it determined to because of bad fuel? Did they empty the gas tank to prove water in fuel? Sorry i didn't catch the other threads that appear to be shut down.

I have 12 years of experiance as a level three certified failure analysis engineer specializing in high pressure metering pumps with pressures up to 50,000 psi. I work for a large rotating equipment distributor and this has caught my interest.
Quick answer with hope the thread stays open. Dealer found what they considered to be corrosion in the fuel system indicative of fuel contamination. Ford supported the finding and did not repair under warranty.

Rick - You could probably contact NHTSA to see if they're interested before you tear it down on your own.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Subscribing as well!

Originally Posted by GZip
Quick answer with hope the thread stays open.
As long as things stay civil and at least somewhat on-topic have no worries!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:02 PM
PumpDoctor
Senior User
I guess what I'm asking is did anyone from ford, rickatic or a a third party take the pump apart and inspect for any abnormal findings to conclude it was from contaminated fuel? Just because the tank has some corosion means absolutely nothing heck that could have been that way from the factory. Thats like saying we arn't going to warranty your brand new tires that just came apart going down the road beacause we found some debris in the valve stem. EDITED BY CRAZY Ford appears to just be banking that the insurance will pay and the problem will go away.

Reminder that there an be NO legal discussion here in the forums. It's not my rule, but we all have to abide by it.

Last edited by Tom; 10-27-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: NO discussion of legal action on FTE
Old 10-27-2011, 07:47 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
suscribing

Old 10-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Robert2
New User
Very interested in the final diagnose

I just pick my truck up a month ago.F-250 KR

Old 10-27-2011, 08:32 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Please leave the lawyers out of the discussion...

Ford did not disassemble the pump. In fact, the pump has only one part removed. This part leaves an opening into the pump...no visible rust or corrosion but you can see where the metal has been ground away and pounded into the surface.

Ford used one part to void the warranty claim...and as I have said previously, this part was replaced under presumed warranty before the first dealer cried water...

I will be posting some pictures soon...maybe tomorrow...I do not know if I am going to disassemble the pump...I may be better served by leaving it intact for now...

Regards

Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Exclamation

Okay guys, I'm starting to get really tired of this. A two months ago the 6.7l forum was one of FTE's best forums with very little issues. Things have gone downhill fast as of late. I just cleaned things up, and the thread hasn't been around even a day yet.

This is about a specific HPFP failure and nothing more. This was the intent of the thread and this is where it will stay. If someone would like to discuss something different please start another thread. Lately I've been spending three times the normal amount of time keeping things on track around here due to this debacle. I am losing patience daily...folks, this is getting old.

Quick Reply: Ricks fuel pump analysis