Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Junior User

bri687 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Third brake light leaking please help

Well I have a leak coming from the third brake light and was wondering what can I use to seal the leak up? I already replaced it once because of a crack. Also If I end up replacing the light is there a better alternative?
Old 10-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Whachuwant?

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
If you can locate a sealant, silicone or another type, that is safe for use on clearcoat, then you can apply a bead of it along the underside of the light and re-install.
Official Slackmaster #24
Old 10-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
If you can locate a sealant, silicone or another type, that is safe for use on clearcoat, then you can apply a bead of it along the underside of the light and re-install.
Is there such a thing as clearcoat safe silscone?
Old 10-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Whachuwant?

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
There might be...I haven't found it. People have used a variety of things. Most without reporting any damage.
Official Slackmaster #24
Old 10-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Postmaster

Coskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to behold
I purchased a New light off Ebay and could of gotten the 3rd brake only for about $30 and it has the center lights as LED and then the factory side bed lights are reused and it just plugged straight in and looks nice. I have a picture of it in my album I think. They are Eagle Eye products and I have been happy with my purchase and no more leaks in the cab too.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Whachuwant?

Here's an interesting read on silicone in automotive uses from the guys at Meguiars:
meguiars.com: FAQ - Are products that contain silicone bad for my car's finish?
Official Slackmaster #24
Old 10-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Junior User

well I might try this product to see if it works unless anyone see a reason not to.
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...sket_Maker.htm
Old 10-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Junior User

well I might try this product to see if it works unless anyone see a reason not to.
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...sket_Maker.htm
Old 10-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Elder User

cb_13 has a good reputation on FTE.cb_13 has a good reputation on FTE.
If your leak is coming from the seal around the lamp assembly I recommend the permatex clear rtv silicone. You just need to seal out water not permanently attach the lamp to your cab. I have used the motorcraft on several occasions and this appears to be very similar if not the same stuff. Could also use teflon washers between the screw head and lamp or a small amount of the silicone. 80050 permatex part number

Last edited by cb_13; 10-26-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added part number
Old 10-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb_13 View Post
If your leak is coming from the seal around the lamp assembly I recommend the permatex clear rtv silicone. You just need to seal out water not permanently attach the lamp to your cab. I have used the motorcraft on several occasions and this appears to be very similar if not the same stuff. Could also use teflon washers between the screw head and lamp or a small amount of the silicone. 80050 permatex part number
Well I think the leak is coming from the gasket on the assembly. If thats where it's coming from do i use gasket maker or clear rtv silicone that you were telling me about?
I don't know much about sealants,adhesive and gaskets but i'm just looking for something that will stop the leak and be able to remove it in case of replacement.
Also should i remove the gasket before applying anything?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Whachuwant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri687 View Post
Well I think the leak is coming from the gasket on the assembly. If thats where it's coming from do i use gasket maker or clear rtv silicone that you were telling me about?
I don't know much about sealants,adhesive and gaskets but i'm just looking for something that will stop the leak and be able to remove it in case of replacement.
Also should i remove the gasket before applying anything?
Go with the clear RTV. Also dab a little bit around the screw holes on the exterior of the light before you put the screws back in.
Official Slackmaster #24
Old 10-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
Go with the clear RTV. Also dab a little bit around the screw holes on the exterior of the light before you put the screws back in.
+1. I leave the gasket on the the lamp and apply a bead over it before putting it back on the truck.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Junior User

Well I put the sealant on the gasket and now gonna let it dry.
Thanks for the help everyone, now well see how it works.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Senior User

yellowboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I gave up on farting with mine, just put a BIG bead around the outside. Unless you are 7 foot tall, can't see it.

For 30 grand and up you would think the Ford idiots could keep a light from leaking. No wonder the Japs are doing well.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboy View Post
I gave up on farting with mine, just put a BIG bead around the outside. Unless you are 7 foot tall, can't see it.

For 30 grand and up you would think the Ford idiots could keep a light from leaking. No wonder the Japs are doing well.
You are so right Toyota has never had any recalls or problems ever. I have an 04 that i got used so i have dealt with alot of very frustrating little problems but i will guarantee you that every make has their own issues.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:11 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
2001fordrangerleaks22brakelight22, 3rd, back, brake, explorer, f150, f250, ford, fordf150leakingthirdbrakelight, forum, leak, leaking, leaks, light, sport, trac