Just bought a toyhauler

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:02 AM
four4x4fords
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I will NEVER buy another Toy Hauler without taking it to the scales and finding out what it weighs before I sign the papers!! I got caugt up in the Weekend Warrior fiaso and discovered my trailer weighs about 1600 pounds more than they said it did.
Cut my payload down significantly to say the least, I only haul two sport ATVs so I'm fine, but still disappointed.

Good luck with the new rig, looks very nice!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:48 AM
my996duc1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
Did you weight your sami yet. Mine loaded IIRC is around 4280lbs with me in it.

WOW 4280lbs Sami....

Yes, I have weighed mine a couple of times. Last time I weighed mine it was 3150lbs. I added a 50lbs (actually weighed it with hardware) skid plate so I round up my weight to figure it is 3300lbs, so I know I am under that amount.
I am running all types of armor and a roll cage, a 15gal fuel tank, and an engine swap.

If I remember correctly, a stock Sami weighs around 2000lbs.
Any pics or details of your Sami ?

Here is mine.

_

Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by my996duc1
WOW 4280lbs Sami....

Yes, I have weighed mine a couple of times. Last time I weighed mine it was 3150lbs. I added a 50lbs skid plate so I round up my weight to figure it is 3300lbs, so I know I am under that amount.
I am running all types of armor and a roll cage, a 15gal fuel tank, and an engine swap.

Any pics of your Sami ?

_
This is all I have right now. It's armored head to toe and I carry spare axles, air tools, fluids, ect... You know the basics for trail survival.
Try these.
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/quickvwbug/3423180654/sizes/m/

http://m.flickr.com/photos/quickvwbug/3422370977/?xajax=1

Old 10-31-2011, 09:55 AM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Like four said above, weigh it before you buy it. RV dealers will lie like a rug about weights and a vehicles ability to safely pull it.
If the MFG says it weighs 7900# empty with no options and you then add options and outfit the camper, fill propane tanks, cooking stuff, clothes, water, fuel station etc. What capacity are you left with?
What will the campers balance and axle loading be with the Suzuki loaded and water tanks empty?
I would want to know all of this before I got on the road.

My recommendations/advice: Spare tire included with camper? If not buy one. Get a bottle jack, good lug wrench and check bearing temperatures often. Get a good brake controller. Carry several lengths of 2" x 8" (4 or more) cut them long enough for both tires to fit on with a foot or so extra. I also carry shorter pieces for the stabilizer jack anchors. Trailer tires are only rated for 65 MPH, and that is with axle loads balanced. Train your wife to be a spotter especially when backing. Have Her watch for trouble and have good communications. I tell my wife to position herself where She can see me in the trucks mirrors when She is spotting for me. Check out RV.net and learn as much as you can before you head out. If you are close to a large campground or recreation area where other toy hauler owners gather take a trip over there and walk around and ask questions.

The power inverters work well if you have a bunch of batteries and a big solar panel set up. I have one but with only two group 27 batteries I can suck the life out of the batteries very quickly. I would recommend a good quiet,fuel efficient portable generator like a 3000 watt Honda. Not sure if that would power everything at once in your rig but it would do better IMO then an inverter.

Best of luck to you

Old 11-12-2011, 12:06 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

my996,
Lot's of questions.... good stuff.
I think you have the e-track from Erickson in the toy area. I use several of the connectors depending on what I'm hauling but I think using the wheel straps will work best for you. See the attached website address. Erickson Manufacturing Ltd.

Also,
Some of my checklist..
Fresh water hose, water regulator, separate flush hose (if necessary), a good sewer flush hose (get the Rhino) you won't be sorry, toilet chemical, disposible gloves for sewer cleaning, wheel chocks, pin lock, lug wrench, alum floor jack (3 ton), several 2x10x36" for leveling (also to help lift for unsprung weight if changing tires), several cable locks to secure chairs, portable bbq, etc. I also carry a jumper battery, but here's a list I found on another forum. Hope it helps.

Travel Checklist
Use this checklist to get ready for your trips.
�� Emergency roadside assistance information
�� Dealer contact information
�� Road atlas
�� Maps
�� Campground directory and reservation information
�� Vehicle registrations
�� Insurance card & paperwork
�� Vehicle owner’s manuals
�� First aid kit
�� Flashlight
�� Warranty card & paperwork
�� Address book
�� Emergency contact information and numbers
�� Camping and travel club cards
�� Calling card
�� Credit cards
�� ATM card
�� Checkbook
�� Office supplies
�� Pet records and photo (in case pet gets lost), if necessary
�� Valid passports, if necessary
�� Reading material
�� Prescription medication
�� Sunscreen
�� Bug repellent
�� Prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses
�� Spare keys
�� Medical records if you under a doctors care
�� Toys, games and videos for children
�� Infant necessities – toys, strollers, highchair, etc.
�� Photo of kids in case they get lost
�� Pet leash, collar with tags, bowls, snacks, food, toys, medications, cleanup supplies
�� Cell phone
�� Camera and video recorder
�� Binoculars
�� Give travel itinerary to family back home
�� Computer laptop
�� Sewing kit and machine
�� Cloth or mat to use at doorstep and under picnic table to catch sand and dirt
�� Whisk broom for cleaning off picnic tables
�� Outdoor chairs
�� Cooler
�� Plastic tablecloth, clamps, plastic bench covers
�� Matches
�� Toiletries
�� Kleenex
�� Toilet paper
�� Cleaning supplies
�� Portable vacuum cleaner
�� Sheets, pillows and blankets
�� Bath towels, wash cloths
Wardrobe Checklist
Consider clothes for every situation.
�� Choose machine washable, stretchable, loose fitting clothes that can mix and match easily
�� Knit clothes
�� Long silk underwear for cool weather
�� Sweatshirts
�� Jackets
�� Rain gear, poncho
�� Cotton and linen shirts for hot weather
�� Broken-in hiking boots and jogging shoes
�� Slippers
�� Dress up shoes
�� Business or evening attire
�� Rubber shower shoes
�� Swim suits
�� Active wear
�� Underwear and socks
�� Bathrobe
�� Pajamas
�� Belts
�� Hats
�� Hangers
�� Shoe rack
�� Laundry basket & detergent
Kitchen Checklist
�� Use bubblewrap around breakables
�� Cookbooks
�� Food processor
�� Herbs
�� Stockpot
�� Skillets
�� Pans
�� Saute pan
�� Measuring cups
�� Serving dishes
�� Teapot
�� Coffeepot
�� Hotplate
�� Pressure cooker
�� Slow cooker
�� Toaster oven
�� Plates and bowls
�� Flatware
�� Drinking glasses
�� Wine glasses
�� Mugs
�� Dish towels
�� Cutting board
�� Can opener
�� Tongs
�� Cooking fork
�� Ladle
�� Paper towels
�� Canisters
�� Tupperware, Gladware, resealable bags
�� Condiments from home – instead of buying new
�� Snacks
�� Bottled water
�� Picnic basket
Tools & Equipment Checklist
�� Grill, charcoal, lighter fluid
�� Broom
�� Tool box
�� Electric cord
�� Small rope
�� WD 40
�� Oil
�� Small funnel
�� Small chain and chain binder
�� Nuts, bolts screws
�� Electrical tape
�� Duct tape
�� Squeegee for windows
�� Bulbs
�� Fuses
�� Batteries
�� Small cordless drill
�� Electrical tester
�� Bungee cords
�� Hitch lock
�� Tire gauge
�� Floor mat
�� Work gloves
�� Disposable gloves
�� Rubber bands
�� Toilet chemicals
�� Leveler
�� Foldable ladder

Old 11-18-2011, 11:32 PM
my996duc1
Elder User
THank you for all the info !!

Picking up the new toyahuler on Tuesday.

I trimmed back the roof line on the house earlier this week to get us an extra 1' of clearance. So now we will have 9" of clearance on each side vs the 3" we had before. Hopefully that will help out some.
Just in case I can't figure out how to get the toyhauler backed in without damaging it, my neighbor has offered to help me out. He has had multiple 5th wheel trailers so I figure he is some good help if I get into a pinch.

From what I am told, the manufacture actually weighs every trailer (dry weight) after assemby. So hopefully the weights are correct but I will still hit the scales first chance I get, just for peace of mind.

I will post up some pics when I get a chance.

_

Old 11-19-2011, 06:06 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Keep us posted. It would be a good idea to have a spotter on boths sides till you get the hang of backing up into that area.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

And a lot of patience. Take your time, nothing like denting a brand new rig first day. Not a bad idea to go to a local parking lot and do some practicing first to understand how this rig handles when backing.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:26 PM
my996duc1
Elder User
Backing the new toyhauler in along side the house was not as challenging as I expected. I ended up only having 9" on each side of the toyhauler but it slide right in there with minimal issues.
I just got my new toyhauler last week and tried fitting in the Sami today. It fit great except for ending up parked on the tie down rings. I need to add some more tie downs and upgrade them to stronger ones while at it.

My garage area is 12'9" and I had about 4" between the oven/stove and front bumper. I had about 6" between the spare tire and the rear ramp door. Highlift jack even cleared the bottom couch by an inch.

The rear bumper squated about 1.5" with the sami loaded inside. Not to bad I don't think.

Here are some pics :

_

Old 11-28-2011, 04:48 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
that is great. some more work but you are getting there.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Bbasso
Elder User
Cool!!!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 AM
1L243
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You do have a lot to learn...But it will be fun... You new TH came with a Converter to convert AC to DC to run an 12 volt lights and charge your batteries. I doubt it came with a Inverter which will allow you to run 110AC from your batteries. That is a good Idea if you do a lot of dry camping but you will probably need more than two batteries to make it pay off.

This is a good site to learn about towing and what not I would suggest a RV site like RV.Net or something similar to get specifics on RV related questions.

How did the Sami Fit??

Old 01-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Toyhauler Tug
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice rig! Looks like you are doing all the right things. It worries me sometimes because anyone can buy a big 5er and just hit the road with no expirence at all. Set your brake controller by the owners manual and practice forward and backward! Toyhaulers are great tools to take your fun on the road, hope you have many years of enjoyment.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:06 PM
pcpi2003
New User
Wow, these guys really know there stuff. I to bought my first RV last year, a toy hauler 24 foot bumper pull. I listened to the dealer who said "your 1/2 ton dodge ram will pull just fine!!". HA!!!!!, glad i had airbags already installed, i was able to get it home from the dealer completely empty. 150km trip (ya, im in Canada) took a tank of fuel. After i ended up spending $60,000 on a new ford diesel in order to pull it (got me a new truck at least).
Im surprised that you can load that much into your toyhauler.
Remember, your hitch weight is actually less when loaded with a machine.
Your tires are VERY important!, check them often. I bought mine late summer, used it once, parked it for the winter, picked it up in spring, all 4 tires were cracked all around teh side walls. I had to replace all of them before moving it.

Otherwise, just get out and enjoy it, love my unit!, but thinking ill be upgrading to a fusion 302 like "Toyhauler tug". Im thinking a garage will be nice.

Hows it hauling that 302? will a 2011 f250 6.7 with airbags haul alright?

Old 01-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Toyhauler Tug
Senior User
Yes. Our 302 is fantastic! It is our fourth '5er and our second toy hauler. We actually downsized from an All American Sport 385, it was a total lemon, back to the factory 3 times for cracking exterior fiberglass, plus other problems. It had a 2900# pin weight and our '05 250 6.0 with air bags did very well with it. Then we got our '10 FZ 302 Touring Edition Three last spring and it towed so much better, no more gas station and parking lot nightmares! Took it to Sturgis in '11 and it was great! Much better use of space, much more comfortable, and it is the first of any of our trailers that did not have to go back to the dealer for ANY repaires! My bike dumped 3 times in the 385! Doesn't even move in the 302. Can't say enough good things about it. Your 250 with air will handle it fine. Our '05 only required about 20 psi. for its 2300# pin, and it squats my 350 a little less than 2"(no air bags). Yeah, it has chinese time bombs on it, the only complaint, but I bought tire covers for it, and watching them CLOSE! Been towing trailers since '88 and it is by far the best. WARNING! Once you go to a fiver, you'll never go back to a TT!!! Welcome to the Ford family!