6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Coolant Test strips?

Old 10-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Ericwlod
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Test strips?

I have read many threads on people checking their coolant with a test strip, so I took mine to my dealer for said test. The dealers master diesel technician told me ford has no such test. I asked why does the coolant check light come on around 13k and he said to check its level not its effectiveness. This is a large dealer located in Western NY, Can anyone clarify on this?

Old 10-25-2011, 01:46 PM
KG6EPF
Senior User
There is a thread with a bunch of info about this, hope this helps.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-additive.html

Old 10-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,558 Likes on 729 Posts
Your dealer is not informed. Simple as that.
I went in last week to order the coolant additive. Parts guy handed me some VC-8. I asked if he was sure this was the right stuff for the new 6.7L engine. He said " it the stuff we use in ALL the powerstrke engines" I handed it back and told him the 6.7 uses the Specialty Orange coolant, not the Ford Gold coolant. He insisted it was the right stuff, so I left, came home and checked the Rotunda instructions for what to add if the test failed. VC-12 is what we add.

Called the parts guy back up and had him order me in a bottle. When I picked it up Monday, he apologized, saying he didn't realize they had changed the coolant.

Just realize that the 6.7L uses a different product than any previous ford diesel engine., If the dealer suggest that the test strips, coolant or additive are the same as previous powerstrokes. They are un-informed and wrong.

Also when they do the test. make sure they pull the sample from the drain Petcock and not by dipping the strips in the Overflow bottle. Getting under the truck and draining some coolant from the TWO seperate systems requires a little effort. Both Pet***** colllect dirt and dust in the nozzles, So they also need to flush a few ounces out before collecting the samples.

Make sure they test BOTH systems. The coolant does not interchange between the two coolant systems,. So BOTH have to be tested.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:01 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Can someone explane the differance. My cinical side maybe so you dont do it so it gives them an out.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,558 Likes on 729 Posts
The Specialty Orange Coolant has a suggested life of 107,000 (or some odd number just over 100,000) miles. Just like the coolant we used in the 7.3L, 6.0L or 6.4L engines. Some of the qualities of the coolant degrade. By testing and then adding if needed the additive, you can bring the coolant back up to snuff. So adding additives to coolant is not something new. Having the computer remind you is new.

You can add the additive twice during the life of your coolant. After that you need to flush and replace the coolant. My truck is at 30,000 when I added the additive the 1st time. If it will make it to 60,000 for the second dose, I should be good to around 90,000 miles where I will do the flush and refill. Ford also gives the disclaimer that hard working engines may need the flush and refill sooner. There have been several comments from members that have changed theirs out a t 60,000 or so miles because the tow heavy.

After the original coolant is replaced, The replacement coolant has a life of about 50,000 miles. ( exact life expectancy is listed in the owners manual which is out in my truck) So there must be some other factors involved in life expectancy in a higher mileage engine.

I have not taken the time to explore and learn what this additive does. On the 7.3L the additive prevented cavatation in the coolant which erroded the engine block.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:28 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 878 Likes on 320 Posts
Originally Posted by Painted Horse

(snip)
After the original coolant is replaced, The replacement coolant has a life of about 50,000 miles. ( exact life expectancy is listed in the owners manual which is out in my truck) So there must be some other factors involved in life expectancy in a higher mileage engine.

(snip)
I'm curious about the shortened coolant life after flush and refill. I have heard that it is because they dont expect the flush and refill to be with distilled water, and that regular tap water with minerals will start to clog the system.

If you flush and fill with distilled, why wouldn't you be able to go another 100K?

It doesnt make sense to me. Maybe someone else can shed some light?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Champ198
Elder User
Thanks to the great folks here on FTE, I knew that the coolant test strips were different for the 6.7. I ordered a pack of accustrips and the contamination kit from the supplier to Ford. I took the two packages to the dealer with me and said to use these. They were totally unprepared and had nothing like that in stock and did not know to use the new strips. They thanked me for bringing this to their attention and promptly ordered their own test kits.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
I too am having an issue with the wrong additive (VC-8) being erroniously prescribed, as documented on another thread here. According to Ford, it IS important to get the right test media and the matching coolant additive (VC-12) for this new engine. I have had the wrong additive and the wrong test kit for about 15,000 miles. I was shown where to dip the test strips by the dealer (overflow), and they did not say the two systems did not mix.

I am in the middle of moving right now, but as soon as I can I will flush my contaminated coolant myself. The dealer has pretty much asked me to PROVE he sold me the wrong stuff. I have not had time to find my receipt, so it is likely this unnecessary expense will be on me.
Yet all I did was follow my dealer's advice. Bad advice. And apparently they aren't liable for steering me wrong.