6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Having to "warm the engine"

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:03 AM
teagueca
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having to "warm the engine"

Gents, (ladies if applicable)
I just purchased my truck, 05 6.0 250, and I just noticed that when I first crank it and start to drive it "spits and sputters" for the first 15 mins or so... If I let it warm up before driving, it doesnt do it.. I am sure that there is tons of info in this forum about such matters but I am getting a headache trying to figure out all of the codes and what they mean. I know that this is something that I will understand in time. But I would really like a little help at the moment. I am starting a new maintenance schedule tomorrow with oil and filter changes, any other "quick newbie" starter tips are greatly appreciated.

As far as I know, it is all stock. Only factory guages and Im not sure if it has ever had any egr or stud work, nor if it has be chipped?

I just want whats best for my truck and want many years of enjoyment out of it.

thanks again for your time.
chris
okinawastinger1@yahoo.com

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a
difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
-President Ronald Reagan

Old 10-25-2011, 03:05 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by teagueca
Gents, (ladies if applicable)
I just purchased my truck, 05 6.0 250, and I just noticed that when I first crank it and start to drive it "spits and sputters" for the first 15 mins or so... If I let it warm up before driving, it doesnt do it.. I am sure that there is tons of info in this forum about such matters but I am getting a headache trying to figure out all of the codes and what they mean. I know that this is something that I will understand in time. But I would really like a little help at the moment. I am starting a new maintenance schedule tomorrow with oil and filter changes, any other "quick newbie" starter tips are greatly appreciated.

As far as I know, it is all stock. Only factory guages and Im not sure if it has ever had any egr or stud work, nor if it has be chipped?
Welcome to the 6.0L first off. I doubt it has been chipped. Run a hot tune, that's possible but hard to tell. Your cold sputter could be a couple of things...injector striction cause by too heavy of oil (not sure how cold it is where you are); weak FICM (Fuel Injector Control Module)...I believe there is a link in the tech folder on how to test a weak FICM or weak glow plugs (several different reasons). On the later, not sure if you've got cord...but if you can plug the truck's block heater in for 3-4 hours before your ready to first use it, that could help with checking to see if the glow plugs need help. All of the 6.0L have the block heater, starting with '05 and up trucks...not all of them got the block heater cord. If you've got one, it should be right behind the passenger side tow hook/loop. You might look into a ScanGauge II ($160-ish at AutoZone) to check for codes.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 06' F-350 Six.O was recently doing similar things,,,take off slow,,skipping some, shifting late, etc,, Checked my FICM voltage,,was low,for like 3 sec,,then up to 48,,found a used FICM at a Auto Recycler,,,$300 + tax,,was warranted also,,,Installed it,,,what a Difference,,,takes off Normal, shifts on time, runs great,,,will be sending out my old FICM to get Re-worked soon. Check your Voltage !

Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 AM
teagueca
New User
In Alpharetta GA

It hasn't really been that cold here, lows reaching the 40's. I will look into getting the scanguage. I checked the oil, its a little high, not sure what the previous owner was doing or if it has some issues, but I am definitely going to crawl through it and try and work it out. Thanks for the heads up on the warmer, that will definitely help to pinpoint some issues... I hope the FICM is still good, I don't like messing with electronics. Thanks for your time guys, and any other info on any issues you have had in the past that I can take a look at will help to speed up my adventures.

-chris

Old 10-25-2011, 12:45 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by teagueca
It hasn't really been that cold here, lows reaching the 40's. I will look into getting the scanguage. I checked the oil, its a little high, not sure what the previous owner was doing or if it has some issues, but I am definitely going to crawl through it and try and work it out. Thanks for the heads up on the warmer, that will definitely help to pinpoint some issues... I hope the FICM is still good, I don't like messing with electronics. Thanks for your time guys, and any other info on any issues you have had in the past that I can take a look at will help to speed up my adventures.

-chris
You don't need the ScanGauge to check your FICM voltages for a one-off. A detailed write-up on the how-to can be found on the FAQ page of ficmrepair.com. This is not to say that the ScanGauge isn't a very worthy tool. That and the Edge Insight CTS are worth their money in gold!

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

Old 10-25-2011, 02:55 PM
SixGunCaliforniaKid
Senior User
Check out this thread it has a picture of ARP Head Bolts post #2 below so you can see if youve been studded or not.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-replaced.html

this is the view from by the Air filter reminder or filter check (simular to the one on a 7-ton

Check out the 6.0 tech folder, has tons of stuff in it. that scan guage is the best bang for you buck, and a must to accurately diagnose something.. well as 5030tinkerer it can be done without but its nice being able to monitor on the fly!

oh and Welcome to FTE!

Old 10-25-2011, 03:11 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SixGunCaliforniaKid
that scan guage is the best bang for you buck, and a must to accurately diagnose something.. well as 5030tinkerer it can be done without but its nice being able to monitor on the fly!

oh and Welcome to FTE!
I completely agree that monitoring on the fly is the way to go. I always have my gauges up. If you wanted the information right now, though, and didn't already have the gauges, there's a down and dirty one-off way to get there with a digital volt meter.

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

Old 10-25-2011, 04:15 PM
teagueca
New User
Bought one Today!!

Guys, I went to AutoZone and purchased the scanguage. It will be in tomorrow by 3. Any particular modes or settings that I should leave it on? Ive been looking for a place to put it all day lol. Thanks for all of the help and tips. I am excited about all the networking we have in here. I have seen all of the threads about "bullet proofing" and I think I am going to go ahead and invest now before something does go wrong...

JJ, SEMPER FI!

Old 10-25-2011, 04:19 PM
NewToDiesels
Elder User
Sean (amdrive2liv) will be along shortly to help you out with the ScanGauge. You can search on his posts for ScanGauge and get a ton of good info.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:15 PM
SixGunCaliforniaKid
Senior User
Check this out for scan guage codes:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...injectors.html

and heres a picture of how I mounted mine:

Old 10-25-2011, 06:21 PM
a2elvis
New User
You may have to program the Scangauge with the PID's you want to monitor for example FICMP(FICM Main Power) is a PID that you would have to program in. If you go to Scangauge's website it has all of the necessary steps to getting what you need.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 PM
NewToDiesels
Elder User
Originally Posted by SixGunCaliforniaKid
and heres a picture of how I mounted mine:
I would miss my cubby hole...

Old 10-25-2011, 06:39 PM
SixGunCaliforniaKid
Senior User
Originally Posted by NewToDiesels
I would miss my cubby hole...
I know, thats how I felt at first but I like it and noone can see it looking in without specifically looking for it.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:14 PM
teagueca
New User
I wish I had the cubby! I have the 4 Aux switches and have NO clue how to or what they are used for... sad right!?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:20 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Quick Reply: Having to "warm the engine"