Modular V10 (6.8l)  

V-10 without cat/ how much power?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 11:40 AM
bigdmizer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was interested too see if anyone has any idea how much more power one can get out of the V-10 when you punch the cat and put a high performance muffler on the truck? Also if you increase flow out then the incresae flow in (k&n air filter) makes more of a difference right? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2003, 12:10 PM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The gains will be minimal because the restriction is in the stock y-pipe. The k+n will give you very small gains if any.But i like how you think, more air out, more air in, more HP. Check out my mods that are along those same lines,bigger throttle body, Superchips Micro-tuner,took the restrictive front off the airbox and enlarged the front opening,dual exhaust [no cat].I now have a big power increase.

Old 04-10-2003, 12:18 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

bigdmizer

Welcome...

Many many threads on intake and exhaust mods

Bottom line is not really much bang for the buck but easy to do so most do some sort of "preformance" modifications.

Internal mods are not really attempted as there are not much in the way of aftermatker cams, valves, pistons etc...

So most folks put on a less restrictive air filter , but go through sticker shock as most of the commercial offerings are pretty pricey.

Same with the exhaust...many of the guys are proud of the Banks stuff, or Borla headders or what ever... but ultimatly agree that the fairly high cost did not really yield that much extra MPH or HP

There are exceptions and a few here have done some pretty interesting things to get their truck the way they want it..

Almost everybody wants to make the V10 415 CID growle with a big DEEP throtty sound like other BIG block Ford nad Chevy V8s get with large pipes....just doesn/t happen as the valve overlap and the 72 degree firing sequence makes the opened up exhaust seem a little crisp and raspy like a V6 on steroids. I have heard some that sound very good, but with some fairly intricate exhaust mods.

All that said the are gains to be had any time you try to improve on factroy designes...however in this day when the Manufacture needs to get the most power for the least weight there is not much to be had, not like the old days when a V8 came in many different flavors and a few mods might unleash 35% or more of hidden HP.

Old 04-10-2003, 12:31 PM
GAV10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I deleted the factory "Y" pipe by running two 2.5 inch pipes from the exhaust manifolds back to a custom made "Y". Orginally I deleted the cat, running the pipe from the "Y" to a Flowmaster 70 series muffler. The noise was un-bearable...REAL LOUD ! I went back and re-installed the cat. I saw no real difference in performance with the cat In vs. Out. The deletion of the factory "Y" did improve top end performance quite a bit. It winds up and accelerates really quick now. I do feel like I loss a slight bit of low end torque. The bad part is my truck sounds like a V-6 on steroids.....nothing close to a big block V-8 sound.

If you want quick acceleration and a quick throttle response definitely mod your factory "Y" pipe. Keep in mind you will loose a little low end torque. Since I'm a old guy (44) and don't like noise, and I also tow a lot, this mod was not for me. I'm in the process of changing my exhaust again. If you want more power go with either Banks or Borla long tube headers. If you want noise go with a Flowmaster 40 series muffler. If you want it quiter go with a Gibson muffler.

My .02 worth !

Mark

Old 04-10-2003, 01:42 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This isn't 1976. They don't make restrictive pellet cats anymore. The stock Ford cat has 3" in/out and a huge cross section. You can see light through it. I took mine off and drove it for about 2 weeks with a test pipe installed. There was no difference. Only problem was the noise! Horrible noise. My advice is to leave it alone. You will never notice any difference. BTW, regardless of local laws and smog testing, it is still against Federal Law to remove the cat.

Old 04-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Quikirk
Elder User

Supercharge it!

Old 04-15-2003, 08:34 PM
Btravelen
Elder User

What V10man said. I've read a few articles that have said the V10 cat is not a significant source of back pressure.

Old 04-16-2003, 05:47 AM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic

I believe the restriction is in the single exhaust set up, cat or no cat, i looked at my cat and while it is open thru the middle it does have some screens that it has to blow thru which is restriction in my opinion.Ever notice how much air will come in a window without a screen compared to one with a screen?And i have never saw a performance potential reached with single exhaust.What you have is 10 exhaust pulses trying to get out of the same 3" pipe-not good in my opinion.That is why when i added a h-pipe to my setup i got more power.When the exhaust pulse sees restriction it is allowed to go to the side with the lowest restriction thru the h-pipe.With a single exhaust set up you have a big bottle neck.I would have to diagree with fredvon on the 72 degree firing order.I could be wrong but one revolution of the crank 360 degrees divided by 10 equals 36 degree firing order, and i believe that is why the V10 makes the sound it does, it has a cylinder firing every 36 degrees and there is not as big of time lapse between firing giving it a unique sound. Fred your thoughts?

Old 04-16-2003, 06:33 AM
GAV10
Senior User

DG,

A 4 cycle engine has to make 2 complete revs. So 360 times two equals 720. Divide 720 by 10 and you get the 72 degrees.

Mark

Old 04-16-2003, 06:41 AM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic

i figured i was wrong, but it sounded good.

Old 04-16-2003, 06:57 AM
GAV10
Senior User

DG,

Nice try !!! What's up ? Any new mods to that beast ? Spring has sprung in Georgia so I'm busy with lawn work, swimming pool and other things on the wife's list. Just put air bags on the back so I can move my tractor around. Hope to get back to the exhaust problem soon.

Mark

Old 04-16-2003, 09:20 AM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic

I KNOW better too, dont know what i was thinking, basic 4 cycle theory, letting my mouth over run my------------. No new mods for now.

Old 04-16-2003, 09:40 AM
daimon1054
Posting Guru

Problem is if you drop the cats the OBD2 will know it and shut you down. Your truck will gointo a limp mode that will get you to the dealership and not much more. A friend tried it on a mustang and then had to pay to put them back on.

Old 04-16-2003, 10:44 AM
bigdmizer
Elder User

Iwent ahead and ran a straight pipe through the cat, so there is no restriction. I put a gibson exhaust on.....The exhaust isn't too bad, a little on the loud side (I like it that way) The increase in power is slight. I notice the engine revs much faster now but as for power gains it's noticable. Thanks for all the input, this forum is very helpful
P.S. My truck runs fine with no cat ....no limping here.

Old 04-16-2003, 11:58 AM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic

NO code or limp here also, with the mustangs there are 4 cats i believe with the 02 sensor in the middle.With my truck the 02 sensor is before the cat so removing it does nothing to the 02 sensor. I was wrong on the firing order thing, but stand by my opinion on the exhaust thing.

Quick Reply: V-10 without cat/ how much power?