Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Postmaster

Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.
No keep this one going, I like it myself.

Chet
Old 12-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Proud Sheepdog

Nicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud of
Update....

I am too dumb to have figured this out BEFORE I bought the two fittings from JEGS. The larger fitting (3/4 NPT to 1" hose barb) is only needed by the OBS guys. If you have a 99-03 truck, YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY IT. I wasted $20 on that due to my lack of attention to detail.... Also, 4 ft of 5/8 heater hose will be more than enough to reroute the line from the top of the pump down to the bottom of the pump (and out of the way of the fuel bowl bolts!)

Good news is: That brings the price of the project down!!! Cost now is right at $210 for the newer powerstroke owners.

I am going to edit the previous lists with a note for that fitting. I have also decided to go with an ELC coolant so I don't have to mess with the SCA additives.
2001 Excursion 4x4 7.3L, 4" turbo back, AIS, 910 Springs, Melling M208, HPx, FRx, Bellowed, Hutched, V coded, AIH/EBPV/foil delete, F350 rear sway, Derale tranny pan, drilled/slotted, T444e water pump, Fumoto, Glowshift TM/DV - EGT fuel and boost, 240k All modifications installed by ME!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Senior User

th67ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for making up the part list! I thought on the other thread he just used the existing heater hose?

I need to re-read this thread again.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Proud Sheepdog

Nicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud of
The existing heater hose is molded a certain way, and will not work by simply re-routing it. It would kink if you tried to use it on the new install. 4' of new hose is only like $6. I am in the process of painting the pump now and flushing the old coolant from the system. I also found that the old lower radiator hose cannot be cut and re-used on this project. The outlet on the new pump is too large in diameter for the old hose.
2001 Excursion 4x4 7.3L, 4" turbo back, AIS, 910 Springs, Melling M208, HPx, FRx, Bellowed, Hutched, V coded, AIH/EBPV/foil delete, F350 rear sway, Derale tranny pan, drilled/slotted, T444e water pump, Fumoto, Glowshift TM/DV - EGT fuel and boost, 240k All modifications installed by ME!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Proud Sheepdog

Here are some photos of the removal of the shut off valve to replace the o-ring:
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Proud Sheepdog

Here is a photo of the inside of the cavity where the valve seats:
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Proud Sheepdog

Here is the reason the pump will only work with the short t-stat. It is very shallow. Also, a photo of the t-stat that is specifically made for this pump. Notice the gasket fits around the circumference of the t-stat and seals from both top and bottom....not just the top like the others.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Proud Sheepdog

The pump got dinged up in two places on the face of the pump...probably during shipment from China to USA for assembly. Anyway, 15 seconds with a good file, and the dings were gone and smooth. These could have possibly caused the pump not to sit flush with the front cover if I had not noticed them. Inspect your pump well when you get it.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Proud Sheepdog

Redneck paint prep....but it works really good!
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Proud Sheepdog

Here is a photo of the primer and the Ford blue result:
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Proud Sheepdog

I also drained and flushed the coolant system today while I was waiting for the paint to dry on the pump. I flushed it twice with tap water before I ran out of daylight. I then went in search of Heavy Duty ELC coolant. I did not find any at 4 different part stores. They all said they quit carrying it.

I settled for Prestone ELC with no silicates or phosphates. It isn't HD, but it should do. The only HD coolant I could find was with SCA precharge in it, and I decided I didn't want to mess with test strips and keeping up with the SCAs. Because I WILL forget....

I used the Prestone flush kit they sell at Wallyworld. It worked very well and was easy. The block plug on the passenger side was not too hard to get off, but much more difficult to get back on. The driver's side was a snap. Both plugs come out without much effort. The passenger side is just hard to get at with the starter on there. Point your ratchet handle toward the front of the engine while removing the passenger side plug! I was nice and wet when I was done. There is a nice write up on this site by member Gooch, so I won't beat that procedure to death. Besides, his write up is ten times better than I could do, and he is a "coolant expert"

I shall continue the job in the morning, and I will post more pictures. Please let me know if there are any specific photos you would like taken, and I will accomodate.

I couldn't have made it through today without my hired help. She really knows her stuff...
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2012, 10:52 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicmike View Post
I settled for Prestone ELC with no silicates or phosphates. It isn't HD, but it should do. The only HD coolant I could find was with SCA precharge in it, and I decided I didn't want to mess with test strips and keeping up with the SCAs. Because I WILL forget....
Please post the exact Prestone coolant you used. I have a bad feeling you do not have an OAT ELC, and will need to add SCA's.

Does it say it meets the CAT EC-1 specs?

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicmike View Post
The driver's side was a snap. Both plugs come out without much effort. The passenger side is just hard to get at with the starter on there. Point your ratchet handle toward the front of the engine while removing the passenger side plug!
Using a universal swivel, once you get it placed in the plug the first time, it's really easy-peezy. Just make sure you go over the starter with the ratchet to access the plug.

Quote:
There is a nice write up on this site by member Gooch, so I won't beat that procedure to death. Besides, his write up is ten times better than I could do, and he is a "coolant expert"
Gooch is the man when it comes to coolant info.

His procedure has been posted on many diesel forums on the 'net because he is the authority when it comes to ELC.

Gooch's Coolant Flush Procedure and In-Depth Coolant Information - FTE

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Proud Sheepdog

It does not say it meets EC-1. I could not find ANY anywhere that meets that standard. It is Prestone ELC concentrate...just not HD. It is silicate, phosphate, borate and nitrite free and meets ASTM D3306 & D4985 (whatever they are...).

If it absolutely won't work, I can put it in my car. It is due for a coolant flush, too.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Nil desperandum

aawlberninf350 is a name known to allaawlberninf350 is a name known to allaawlberninf350 is a name known to allaawlberninf350 is a name known to allaawlberninf350 is a name known to allaawlberninf350 is a name known to all
Sorry if I missed it, but did you post up the weight of the pump? Curious as to difference with Ford aluminum pump.
Isspro EVs 50 cent Coolant Filter Hutch/Harpoon DP Tuner Walker BTM 4R100 w/FTVB nlemerise AC mod Mile Marker 449ss RedHead 08 diff cover Fumoto DDM HID 55w 4500k Bilsteins Donaldson DBL7405 Peragon Bed Cover SSBC V8 Frozen Rotor Hawk LTS
Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
99, belt, bushing, coolant, cps, diesel, f250, ford, installation, location, pipe, pump, t444e, truck, water