Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Freshman User

Oxxon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gas Gauge Problem

08 SuperCrew 4x4 5.4 flex fuel 37k miles...

Seems that the gas gauge is not working like it should. I filled up last month and while driving around a few days later I noticed that the gauge had not moved. Then I got into the truck turned it on and it showed 3/4 full. Once it was at 1/2 full and when I turned on the trunk the next day it showed 3/4 full. By the time I got to work 5 miles away it had gone back down to 1/2 full. I add gas every 3 days or so since I don't trust the gauge any more unless I fill it up. Any ideas?

I did a search on here and someone else had a corrosion problem but I have no idea where to start looking.

Thanks in advance...
Old 10-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Postmaster

danorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputation
i have no experience with the f150 gauge, but every other gas gauge i had that was faulty it was the sending unit that went bad. usually it is in the tank and expensive.

to save $ i would skip the repair and just hit the trip meter after each fillup and filled up every 200 miles to be safe.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Senior User

ccecilm2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
X2 on a faulty sending unit and expensive. I believe you either have to drop the tank of lift off the bed to get to it.

2006 F150 SuperCab XLT; 5.4L EFI V8, 3.73 LS Axle, 4 Speed Auto O/D

1997 Mountaineer AWD; 5.0L/302 EFI
Old 10-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Elder User

mitch150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mitch150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Last one I messed with was on a 1990 F150 and it had a float mechanism on the fuel pump itself which was mounted from the topside of the tank, if they still use that style of system I can see where the float would stick or get stuck, which is what it sounds like is going on to me what with it going from 1/2 to 3/4 back to 1/2. I am probably wrong, but that's my 2 cents on the subject. If I ever have to remove the fuel pump on my truck, I guess I'll know for sure.

Volant w/ ram air intake,Magnaflow true duel exhaust w/ high flows, magnapacks, 3" Bushwhacker flares, Eagle alloys(7 lug rims), BFG 315/70/17 All Terrain T/A's, JVC KW-NX7000 w/nav, dvd, Sirius, chrome w2w nerfs, Xcal ll 5 Star custom tunes
Old 10-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Senior User

canstacker is starting off with a positive reputation.
This has been mentioned before. Try a couple bottles of fuel injector cleaner. Mine has done it twice, each time it was some bad gas(stopped getting gas there) and the cleaner worked once that tank had been ran out.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Freshman User

Ok, what brand of fuel injector cleaner do you all think I should use?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Senior User

canstacker is starting off with a positive reputation.
I used the stp one, but any should work. I don't think ours has a float?, but there is a sensor in there that can be fouled up and that is what the cleaner cleans... Took a few tanks of good gas for the gauge to start working right again.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:59 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Save some $, ad a pint of acetone to a 1/4 take of fuel...that will clean it.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Freshman User

Well, i went over to Wally World during lunch and found some Techron. I did a search on here for the fuel level sending unit and read about the sulfur problem. It was $6.47 for a 10oz bottle but it had a $2 off coupon. I had to buy 2 since my truck has the 30 gallon tank and I filled up yesterday.

I'll let you all know how its goes...
Old 12-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Freshman User

Update

Seems that the Techron did the trick. After a few fillups with Techron my gauge is back to normal.

Thanks for everyones help.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:04 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
08, 150, 2008, 2009, empty, f150, f250, fill, ford, gage, gas, gauge, guage, issues, problem, problems, stuck