Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Posting Guru

BadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to behold
where to find 16.5 tires ??

Well today I was winterizing and covering my boat and I noticed the tires were sidewall cracking (dry rot). These tires are about 10yrs old and have about 1500 miles on them. They are 16.5. I also have a class c motorhome with 8.0 +16.5 tires that the sidewalls are starting to crack. And I am having a hard time finding 16.5 tires and do any of you guys have a clue as to who still makes a good 16.5 tire and who carries them ?
Ed PAA#121 "It's a sick world and I am a happy guy"
Blackie/E99 F350 Lariat CC DRW 216k: 4" MBRP,up&down pipes coated/wrapped, bellows, T500, Kuzz4R100, TruCool, CCV with catch can, 50cent, E99 turbo/1.0 w.g.turbine, T.M. wastegate, EBPV delete,470-ohm, hutch/harpoon, A/C shim, K&N, Smoked lights

'76 E350 DRW/26' Holiday Ramber 460 4bl C6 : Autometer gauges
Old 10-23-2011, 08:05 AM
Posting Guru

scraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to behold
Try Tire Rack....Tires at Tire Rack
A "Veteran" - whether active duty, discharged, retired or reserve- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to, and including their life."
That is honor. And there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Senior User

79superduty is starting off with a positive reputation.
maybe start looking into 16"s it's gonna be cheaper in a long run, 16.5's are running out more and more every yr. I switched for the same reason..
Old 10-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Posting Guru

BadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to behold
Well I had tried Tire Rack before and nothing for 8.0/16.5 but I checked again for the trailer and they did have 8.75/16.5 in Firestone.
And as far as switching out to 16inch rims I am already on that for the motorhome. I have a brand new set of Alcoa 16" Classics and all I need now is 2 steel rear inner rims and $1000 for rubber. I run BF Goodrich Commerial T/A's on my F350 DRW and I love them and that is what I am going to run on the motorhome. So for now I am just trying to buy time and just replace the steers on the motorhome.
Now this stupid boat trailer has 6 lug and 16.5 rims. I wonder what it would interchange with ?? It is a EZ Loader trailer. So it looks like I am stuck with the 16.5 rims. I am NOT buying new rims for the trailer. If I could find some used rims and in a 16 inch by 6 lug I would jump on that. Does anyone have any idea how many different 6 lug patterns there are?
Blackie/E99 F350 Lariat CC DRW 216k: 4" MBRP,up&down pipes coated/wrapped, bellows, T500, Kuzz4R100, TruCool, CCV with catch can, 50cent, E99 turbo/1.0 w.g.turbine, T.M. wastegate, EBPV delete,470-ohm, hutch/harpoon, A/C shim, K&N, Smoked lights

Old 10-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Postmaster

Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.
I've got a nice set of 16" rims off an Isuzu Rodeo 6 lugs if they'll work for you. They are steel and have full wheelcovers with them.Drop me a pm if you like.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercab View Post
I've got a nice set of 16" rims off an Isuzu Rodeo 6 lugs if they'll work for you. They are steel and have full wheelcovers with them.Drop me a pm if you like.
Thanks for keeping me in mind. I'll try to go to the boat yard and see what size the lug pattern and I'll drop you a PM.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Postmaster

hasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to all
If I can chime in, the usual trailer six lug pattern is 6x5.5, I don't think you will see many that are others but still worth measuring to make sure. The isuzu wheels probably won't have the right backspacing to fit a trailer, as car/truck tires usually have different backspacing than trailer wheels. But you can measure that too and figure it out...

I think 16.5 truck tires will be all but gone soon but I'd imagine they will keep making the 16.5 trailer tires, there are a lot still in service. My trailer uses the old 14.5 tires and there are still lots of them in service and they are widely available. I'd keep using 16.5's as long as they continue to be available. I'd start worrying about changing over when you can't find them anymore.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasteranger View Post
If I can chime in, the usual trailer six lug pattern is 6x5.5, I don't think you will see many that are others but still worth measuring to make sure. The isuzu wheels probably won't have the right backspacing to fit a trailer, as car/truck tires usually have different backspacing than trailer wheels. But you can measure that too and figure it out...

I think 16.5 truck tires will be all but gone soon but I'd imagine they will keep making the 16.5 trailer tires, there are a lot still in service. My trailer uses the old 14.5 tires and there are still lots of them in service and they are widely available. I'd keep using 16.5's as long as they continue to be available. I'd start worrying about changing over when you can't find them anymore.
Thanks for your input and now that you bring it up the point about the offset/ back spacing. I'll check that.
The thing that bites about the 16.5 is there isn't many choices out there. And there is NO way I will put a Chinese tire on any of cars, trucks or toys. I like to buy American made products. It helps keep Americans working.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Postmaster

Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm being told that there are NO US made TRAILER tires being made anymore-even the GoodYear Marathons.........see my thread on the GOODRIDES.......-Ed I WILL check the backset on the Isuzu wheels and report soon-Rick
Old 11-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Postmaster

hasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to all
read the feedback on good year marathons... they have higher failure rates than other tires. And they are unavailable in most sizes. Made in US is good when you can get it, for most things, but for trailer tires I don't think its a viable option for most sizes.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Postmaster

SO.......ARE the MAXXIS still made in the USA?? and what, in this case makes THEM better?? because they are made by someone with an American name?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Postmaster

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Ordered new Maxxis tires, they're made in Thailand

Looks like they are made in thailand... and I don't think they make a 16.5 anyway.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM
New User

yruconfused is starting off with a positive reputation.
16.5,s

I have a set of four I dont need - 8.0 by 16.5 Goodyears never mounted - Think I messaged you but not sure how new here..
Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yruconfused View Post
I have a set of four I dont need - 8.0 by 16.5 Goodyears never mounted - Think I messaged you but not sure how new here..
I sent you an email. We'll talk there

Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 PM