1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good and Bad Years?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:02 PM
rmzsuzuki89
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good and Bad Years?

Are there any good or bad years for the diesel motors, or anywhere else, in the F250's and F350's? I'm looking mainly at the '08's, or higher if I it's a good price. But if I can find a nice '06 or '07 for a lot cheaper I may consider going that route. But I'm hearing that there are some bad years. If this is true, which years are good and which are bad?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:53 PM
ken kenmnedy
Posting Guru
go to diesel forum they will let you know

Old 10-23-2011, 12:19 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
From 2003.25-2007 Ford used the 6.0L diesel. This motor has some problems, but many were fixed by 2005. Personally I would rather buy a 6.0 and fix it to be reliable rather than a 6.4.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:07 AM
rmzsuzuki89
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ken kenmnedy
go to diesel forum they will let you know
Which diesel forum? I posted this over on The Diesel Garage too.

Originally Posted by A/Ox4
From 2003.25-2007 Ford used the 6.0L diesel. This motor has some problems, but many were fixed by 2005. Personally I would rather buy a 6.0 and fix it to be reliable rather than a 6.4.
Are there problems with the 6.4's? The 08+ body styles are definitely my favorite, but I don't really wanna buy problems either.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:12 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rmzsuzuki89
Are there problems with the 6.4's? The 08+ body styles are definitely my favorite, but I don't really wanna buy problems either.
Problems? Not wide spread. But they dont get very good mileage. I like the interior of the 08-10 best, but the 6.4 just doesnt grab my attention. A 6.7 isnt much more expensive, and at least with a 6.7 you get decent mileage and a lot of power.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:15 AM
FarmingF250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The guys at the Ford dealership didn't exactly sing the praises of the 6.0 and said I'd be happier with a 7.3, time will tell but I went for a pre-6.0 truck.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
The ONLY years I would look at getting are 2002-2003 7.3 personally. Everything else has 'known' problems, if not headgaskets and EGR its bad fuel mileage bad turbos or **** tanks to keep full.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:11 AM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Agree - all the 6.X engines have known issues of some sort. Problem is the newest 7.3 is now 8 years old so finding a good one is getting tougher. I 've contemplated getting a late 6.0 and transplanting a 7.3 into it. Get the newer style susp & body w/o the engine reliability concerns.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:46 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I have the 6.4. It is a pretty good motor.

Most of the issues do center around the mpg's. This is a heavy truck coming in at 8K or more for most people. Combine that with the emissions and it can be an issue.

Alot centers around what your use would be. This motor works great for towing and long distance applications. This is where it shines the most and will do the best service with the fewest problems.

Just running to the store or a lot of city driving and then you will have some issues with the EGR or the DPF.

So the real question is what would you use the truck for?

Problem areas for this motor can be the radiator seams, not ever an outright failure or any thing to leave you stranded, rather a slow leak. Seems to be a problem for the 6.7 as well. Cheap design.

EGR valve...they did come out with a redesign so you don't see too much of that anymore.

DPF. The DPF traps soot which has to be burned off from time to time. Slow speeds/city stop and go do not work well with this.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:07 AM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Heard the same from folks around here - the 6.4 & 6.7 don't like stop 'n' go driving. Better off work'n them hard all the time - they seem to do better when they're run that way. That's what worries us - our app (farming) works'em pretty hard but includes quite a bit more idle - low speed ops than most. Granted they're loaded but we might only be going 10mph. Worried we wouldn't regen enough and have issues.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:25 AM
truckinforever
Freshman User
Are you dead set on a diesel? You can get a V10 for cheaper and have a lot less problems. The only down side is fuel mileage. But fuel cost is less and so is maintenance so for me its cheaper to own the gas burner.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:54 AM
banginona40
New User
I have a 2003 6.0 that I bought new now with 145,000. I did have some problems innitially, egr sensor, wires chaffing, an oil leak, and one failed injector. Since all that has been repaired I am really pretty happy with the truck. It seems all these trucks have some issues so pick your poison. the mechanic that works on my truck seems to think the 6.0 is one of the better ones to go with. These are expensive trucks to own and operate but so far I am hanging in with it. Truck seems to get a consistant 15 mpg.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:40 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by dagren99
Heard the same from folks around here - the 6.4 & 6.7 don't like stop 'n' go driving. Better off work'n them hard all the time - they seem to do better when they're run that way. That's what worries us - our app (farming) works'em pretty hard but includes quite a bit more idle - low speed ops than most. Granted they're loaded but we might only be going 10mph. Worried we wouldn't regen enough and have issues.
In this case a DPF delete and tuning will cure the issues.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by senix

Won't pass emissions...

Old 10-23-2011, 12:05 PM
rmzsuzuki89
Freshman User
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Problems? Not wide spread. But they dont get very good mileage. I like the interior of the 08-10 best, but the 6.4 just doesnt grab my attention. A 6.7 isnt much more expensive, and at least with a 6.7 you get decent mileage and a lot of power.
But they don't have the 6.7's until like 2011 or something right. I can't quite afford any of the new new trucks, I'm trying to keep a bit of a budget.

Originally Posted by Snowseeker
The ONLY years I would look at getting are 2002-2003 7.3 personally. Everything else has 'known' problems, if not headgaskets and EGR its bad fuel mileage bad turbos or **** tanks to keep full.
I don't really wanna go backwards though. I just sold my '03 Expedition for a truck, and want to get something at least a few years newer.

I have the 6.4. It is a pretty good motor.

Most of the issues do center around the mpg's. This is a heavy truck coming in at 8K or more for most people. Combine that with the emissions and it can be an issue.
MPG's isn't a horrible issue, anything will be better than what I had in my expedition up until right before I sold it. And I also wouldn't be driving it daily, only when it rains or when i have another person with me. Or any other reason that I wouldn't be able to ride the bike.

Alot centers around what your use would be. This motor works great for towing and long distance applications. This is where it shines the most and will do the best service with the fewest problems.

Just running to the store or a lot of city driving and then you will have some issues with the EGR or the DPF.

So the real question is what would you use the truck for?
I wouldn't be doing much towing, maybe occasionally, but not often. Just mainly for rainy days or when I have something that I can't take not he bike. And occasional off roading. Are there any kind of mods than can be done to either the ERG or the DPF to help with some of the problems.

EGR valve...they did come out with a redesign so you don't see too much of that anymore.
That's good news.

DPF. The DPF traps soot which has to be burned off from time to time. Slow speeds/city stop and go do not work well with this.
Would the delete solve some of the issues.

Originally Posted by truckinforever
Are you dead set on a diesel? You can get a V10 for cheaper and have a lot less problems. The only down side is fuel mileage. But fuel cost is less and so is maintenance so for me its cheaper to own the gas burner.
Ya, pretty set on the diesel.

One thing that I would plan on doing.

Quick Reply: Good and Bad Years?