Sponsored by: DP Tuner

bent pushrods blew head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Bergerson
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bent pushrods blew head gasket

So does anyone have a good write up on Removing and replacing heads? Ive never done it in the truck and am not looking forward to it.. so story goes i bend two pushrods had a pretty good knock, guessing that the exhaust valve got stuck closed and blew the head gasket...

Old 10-22-2011, 01:23 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Bad luck. It shouldn't be hard but they are heavy. Some guys just pull the motor. Did it get hot. What caused the head gasket to blow. Pull the injector, and glow pug and take a look. Bore scope it, if piston is bad to pull the motor. Chet

Old 10-22-2011, 07:46 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
It would be a good idea to upgrade those valve springs if you haven't already. Modding a diesel tends to increase the acceleration response and the rapidly rising rpms will cause valve float. I noticed a big difference on how my engine performed after a "simple" valve spring change. Heavy things weren't meant to move that fast. Valve train and truck included.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Bergerson
Elder User
No, it didnt get hot, but either the pushrod got jammed in the head and cracked it or the exhaust valve got jammed up and not opening and caused the head gasket to blow... the solid white smoke out of the tail pipe and all the coolant pouring out of the degas bottle tells me its a gasket or cracked head.

No I never did upgrade springs or pushrods, but I will be doing this now .

Old 10-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
That's some hard luck there. Shouldn't be anything special about doing the gaskets other than being careful to avoid a hernia when lifting the iron heads off of the engine.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:08 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's the torque sequence and torque for installing new head bolts.

If you are installing head studs the sequence will be the same but torque values will depend on the stud mfg specs.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Head Bolt Torque Sequence.pdf (25.0 KB, 125 views)
Old 10-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Bergerson
Elder User
I've removed the heads off my last block when it was on the ground in the shop, I am not looking forward to doing this in the driveway with the engine in the truck, almost tempted to take it in to the shop and have it done... I'm just getting tired of wrenching on this thing.. was hoping someone had a step by step writeup on the r&r of the heads while in the truck

Old 10-22-2011, 07:30 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
if i were you i would yank the engine to do it but thats me. with all the time youll have jockeying things around doing it in the truck and engine pull and replace would be worth it......i about crapped my pants when i lifted the first head off my motor and it was on a stand....didnt anticipate it being that heavy.....either way you choose good luck...

Old 10-22-2011, 08:25 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
I agree with pulling the engine out to do it. And Bill I hope you are being honest with us about ALMOST pooping your pants???LOL If you did would you tell us?? I am sure I would be pooping myself if I were to try to R&I the head in the truck. And that wouldn't be pretty !!

Old 10-22-2011, 08:53 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
I agree with pulling the engine out to do it. And Bill I hope you are being honest with us about ALMOST pooping your pants???LOL If you did would you tell us?? I am sure I would be pooping myself if I were to try to R&I the head in the truck. And that wouldn't be pretty !!
its funny now but it wasnt at the time....my 13 year old was hitting the head with a mallet to break the gasket loose while i was tugging and all of the sudden on one of my tugs it came totally off and i was holding it like OMG this **** is heavy as you know what! couldnt set it down fast enough......

Old 10-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Here's the torque sequence and torque for installing new head bolts.

If you are installing head studs the sequence will be the same but torque values will depend on the stud mfg specs.
Robin I have never seen a set up like that in the third torq set up changing the bolt pattern like that. Accross instead or
around and around. Good post!
Chet

Old 10-23-2011, 02:06 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Yea, Chet, that IS kinda' weird!

But that's why we're here, to learn something.....

Pop

Old 10-23-2011, 05:15 AM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man Brian, that sucks. I wonder if any of this started way back when you had a clogged radiator?

Old 10-23-2011, 08:11 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brian, if you've got a hoist and a flat spot you will be so much better just pulling the engine to pop the heads! Trust me on this! I stayed at a Holliday Inn Express last night!...
Seriously I've done it in frame and the akward positioning & extremely heavy heads makes it almost impossible to get a gentle approach onto the head gasket! &that can make for a no bueno seal and early failure if the sealing rings are smacked instead of crushed into place! I also found it's faster (for me at least) to do them out of chassis! It's not like it takes a lot to pull a 7.3, 4 hours tops 1 man. Get a 30 pack make some phone calls, it's a Saturday project out, off, studs, gaskets, 110 springs, on, in, test drive to store for more beer...DONE!
Jim & fat optimistic Monty
ps. If your anywhere near me I'll be there bright and early

Old 10-23-2011, 08:18 AM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've pulled heads on mine, its really not that bad (other than actually lifting the head out). Just be prepared for a bit of a mess. There are a few bolts you may want to rubber band.

Quick Reply: bent pushrods blew head gasket