Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2011, 06:57 PM
New User

Tinker bell is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford explorer turn signal lever not working

Purchased new one from Advanced Auto parts. It worked for a few days and is back to doing what the other part was doing. When I engage the lever to turn right it works but when try to signal to the left it doesn't always work. It makes a noise that sounds like it is shorting out and doesn't turn the signal light on. Depending on how I have the steering wheel turned, sometimes I can hold it to allow for the signal to blink. I replaced the lever, that BTW, also operates the brights and the windshield wipers, for the very same malfunction.
I was not able to pass TX state inspection. Now I,m wondering if it isn't something else that may be causing the lever not to engage. can it be a loose wiring harness?
Old 10-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Senior User

LV Dan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds to me like the new one broke, too. I have replaced my twice already. I opened the switch up to find plastic pieces and contacts all a mess.

1999 Explorer XLT 4x4, 4.0 SOHC, 5R55E, 3.73 LS.

Former Fords: '75 Ranchero, '82 F-250.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Postmaster

shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.
Did you actually replace the lever, or the multi-function switch? The multi-function switch is where the electrical contacts are made when the lever is moved for turn signals, high beam headlights, flash to pass, as well as the hazard lights. The MFS is probably the issue.

Also, what year is your Explorer?

-Rod
Old 10-27-2011, 06:21 PM
New User

I replaced the multi function switch w/the lever. All one piece. It is a 98explorer.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Postmaster

shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.
Check the wiring harness that connects to the MFS. Several have been known to have loose contacts or broken wires at the connectors.

-Rod
Old 10-28-2011, 07:15 AM
New User

Work in progress

Ok, I will check it out. Thanks!... I will let you know. Once I get this resolved, I really want to replace the switch on the driver side that locks and unlocks all the doors....
Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Postmaster

You might want to read up about that switch a bit too. I've read of a lot of folks that have replaced the switch, but I don't recall anyone following up that a new switch actually fixed the issue. Often it's a broken wire or a bad solenoid.

-Rod
Old 10-29-2011, 03:03 AM
New User

swshawaii is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not sure if this applies to your '98 Ex. Common issue on the Gen1 Sport Trac's.
The steering column binds the wiring when tilted, causing breaks and shorting. GL

http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTr...epair_Gen1.pdf
Old 11-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Junior User

tomo805 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Could this switch also cause the wipers to act erratic? Mine is a 99 explorer and wipers are all screwed up, and turn signal sometimes affects them.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Postmaster

Yes, the multifunction switch (MFS) also has the controls for the windshield wipers and four way flashers/hazard lights. Likewise, the wiring issues mentioned above for the MFS would also be suspect.

-Rod
Old 11-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Postmaster

KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.
The one from advance is likely a low quality part. I would get a genuine Motorcraft unit. You old one lasted a long time, can't go wrong with the same thing.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Junior User

tomo805 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How much of a job is it to change this part?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:09 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
03, 2006, 95, 96, blinker, clicking, directional, explorer, ford, leaver, lever, light, signal, turn, working