Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AIH Code Delete Question(s)...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 03:48 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 615 Likes on 383 Posts
Question AIH Code Delete Question(s)...

Ok, so for those of you who understand electronics, please bare with me. I'm a straight up tard when it comes to electrical circuits/terminology... I really just don;t get it.

Ok, now question time:

The AIH delete from Defuser appears to be just a cable with 2 eyelets, and from reading the "install" instructions, you remove the AIH, and replace the live wire with the Delete Wire, and just ground it out somewhere.

http://www.dfuser.com/Install%20Guid...2004-12-27.pdf

My question is, IF the AIH was ever turned on, couldn't this cause a short or electrical jolt to wherever you ground it???

Unless I'm reading it wrong.... thats it. Leave the ground in place, and ground out the positive side. It doesn;t make any sense to me.

And if anyone who has done the "resistor AIH delete" could you lay it out in retard terms for me? I've seen the diagrams, but I don't really understand how it works or which wires/resistors go where.

I appreciate your help... I'm gonna go put my flame-suit on now.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ToMang07
Ok, so for those of you who understand electronics, please bare with me. I'm a straight up tard when it comes to electrical circuits/terminology... I really just don;t get it.

Ok, now question time:

The AIH delete from Defuser appears to be just a cable with 2 eyelets, and from reading the "install" instructions, you remove the AIH, and replace the live wire with the Delete Wire, and just ground it out somewhere.

http://www.dfuser.com/Install%20Guid...2004-12-27.pdf

My question is, IF the AIH was ever turned on, couldn't this cause a short or electrical jolt to wherever you ground it???

Unless I'm reading it wrong.... thats it. Leave the ground in place, and ground out the positive side. It doesn;t make any sense to me.

And if anyone who has done the "resistor AIH delete" could you lay it out in retard terms for me? I've seen the diagrams, but I don't really understand how it works or which wires/resistors go where.

I appreciate your help... I'm gonna go put my flame-suit on now.
The Dfuser Code Eliminator wire has a resister soldered in line between the two terminals so it simulates a power draw which is different than a direct short to ground. If you just installed a standard wire in that manner you definitely would have a serious short when the relay engages.

I am fuzzy on the code eliminator wire myself. Here is a current thread on the issue. See my question on post #16
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-delete-2.html

Old 10-21-2011, 04:05 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
The Dfuser Code Eliminator wire has a resister soldered in line between the two terminals so it simulates a power draw which is different than a direct short to ground. If you just installed a standard wire in that manner you definitely would have a serious short when the relay engages.

I am fuzzy on the code eliminator wire myself. Here is a current thread on the issue. See my question on post #16
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-delete-2.html
I've been reading that, and other threads on it, and I'm finding it hard to get info that makes sense to me. Honestly, I suck when it comes to electronics.

I can follow directions, ID wires, but IDK whats really happening most of the time. I'll probably just leave it as-is and not worry about it, but I'm looking to get a pack of resistors for the pedestal delete, and there is 5 in the pack, so I was thinking about trying the DIY delete wire... but I don;t understand how to do it or how it works. But from what you're telling me the Defuser kit is nothing but the DIY Delete.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ToMang07
I've been reading that, and other threads on it, and I'm finding it hard to get info that makes sense to me. Honestly, I suck when it comes to electronics.

I can follow directions, ID wires, but IDK whats really happening most of the time. I'll probably just leave it as-is and not worry about it, but I'm looking to get a pack of resistors for the pedestal delete, and there is 5 in the pack, so I was thinking about trying the DIY delete wire... but I don;t understand how to do it or how it works. But from what you're telling me the Defuser kit is nothing but the DIY Delete.
Correct. As far as I can tell it's just a wire with a resistor built in. Maybe it's unidirectional? I guess I can put a meter on it and see....

The other wire that I referenced in the other post appears to just be a ground wire but I don't know for sure because I didn't tear into the engine harness to trace it. I have a spare harness...I probably should open it up and see what's what... Now that I am thinking about it out loud...I suppose it could just be a ground wire because the heating element needs a ground obviously.....normally these sorts of things get grounded when they are threaded into the metallic housing but the spider is isolated from ground by the boots with the only potentially grounding point is where it connects to the turbo...but that has an o-ring in there so just leaves the clamp, which would a very poor ground. So....maybe the wire I am asking about is a ground....if so, then no harm by connecting the Dfuser code wire to that eyelet....

(Too much thinking...my brain hurts....)

Old 10-21-2011, 04:21 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Correct. As far as I can tell it's just a wire with a resistor built in. Maybe it's unidirectional? I guess I can put a meter on it and see....

The other wire that I referenced in the other post appears to just be a ground wire but I don't know for sure because I didn't tear into the engine harness to trace it. I have a spare harness...I probably should open it up and see what's what... Now that I am thinking about it out loud...I suppose it could just be a ground wire because the heating element needs a ground obviously.....normally these sorts of things get grounded when they are threaded into the metallic housing but the spider is isolated from ground by the boots with the only potentially grounding point is where it connects to the turbo...but that has an o-ring in there so just leaves the clamp, which would a very poor ground. So....maybe the wire I am asking about is a ground....if so, then no harm by connecting the Dfuser code wire to that eyelet....

(Too much thinking...my brain hurts....)
IIRC, mine was grounded to a stud on the head of the engine, drivers side.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:10 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Any of you electrical geniuses know if this is the right resistor or not?

I'd rather use 1 than 4, and this (as far as I can tell) is the equivalent to using 4 1/2 watt resistors.

Digi-Key - MMP200FRF470R-ND (Manufacturer - MMP200FRF470R)