Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hit around 2 feet of water at 60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 02:44 AM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hit around 2 feet of water at 60 mph

Lots of flooding in st.louis area, lastnight "saturday night" was out with the fiancee for her birthday. We were driving back to illinois from St.charles mo on I70, which is now closed. It was coming down heavy but i have brand new tires and traffic wasnt very heavy so had the cruise set at about 60ish on interstate. Came up on a lil pack of vehicles and something told me to accelerate past them and get out in front of them. About 30 seconds after putting a little distance between my truck and the pack of cars, there it was. In one of those low areas under a bridge/overpass. I had just enough time to say "oh $***" and we hit the water. It must have been at least as high as my bumper the way the water came over the front end. Absolute tidal wave of water over the hood/windshield. I had zero visibility for about 3 solid seconds and the truck went from 60ish down to 15ish mph in those 3 seconds. I looked in my rearview and saw every car we had just passed hitting the water and biting it. One was a full size chevy pickup and even he didnt make it through, neither did the 4-5 cars. I saw headlights flickering on and off as if their cars had died. When we finally got to our destination i patted my hand on the dash of the truck and said "ya did real good ole girl" thank the lord for diesels being more resilient to water than gassers. I really dont know if i woulda made it through had my truck been a gasser.

Story told, anything i should check on? Oil and trans fluids seem fine, checked for physical damage to grill and so on but saw none. Truck running perfectly. So i think im all good.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:38 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Did you check on your air filter? Depending on what system you are running (can't see sigs on my phone) the filter could have got wet and blown a hole in the media from the vacuum of the intake?
Just spit balling here.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:01 AM
Mazookie
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! That is awesome.

I would just ensure your filter is dry. See you're running the 6637, so no air dam I assume... Should be good to go. I wonder if my truck would have made it. I have a S&B CAI with that air dam leading to the filter box.... I dont want to find out but may be a reason to switch to the open 6637.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:18 AM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
I forged a small flood crossing yesterday. It was daylight and a Dodge was crossing when I went around the closed sign.
If he hadn't of made it I would of turned around. We went slow. Strong current but heavy F250 had no problem. Halfway across a Mustang was swept over road resting on wood fence. Sure it was a total loss.

I am gonna drive around the block to mix diff fluid. Then check it for being milky looking. Mine needs seviced anyway.
Glad y'all where not hurt. We have had monumental rains here to.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lawdawg79
Lots of flooding in st.louis area, lastnight "saturday night" was out with the fiancee for her birthday. We were driving back to illinois from St.charles mo on I70, which is now closed. It was coming down heavy but i have brand new tires and traffic wasnt very heavy so had the cruise set at about 60ish on interstate. Came up on a lil pack of vehicles and something told me to accelerate past them and get out in front of them. About 30 seconds after putting a little distance between my truck and the pack of cars, there it was. In one of those low areas under a bridge/overpass. I had just enough time to say "oh $***" and we hit the water. It must have been at least as high as my bumper the way the water came over the front end. Absolute tidal wave of water over the hood/windshield. I had zero visibility for about 3 solid seconds and the truck went from 60ish down to 15ish mph in those 3 seconds. I looked in my rearview and saw every car we had just passed hitting the water and biting it. One was a full size chevy pickup and even he didnt make it through, neither did the 4-5 cars. I saw headlights flickering on and off as if their cars had died. When we finally got to our destination i patted my hand on the dash of the truck and said "ya did real good ole girl" thank the lord for diesels being more resilient to water than gassers. I really dont know if i woulda made it through had my truck been a gasser.

Story told, anything i should check on? Oil and trans fluids seem fine, checked for physical damage to grill and so on but saw none. Truck running perfectly. So i think im all good.
You might want to check your diff fluid make sure its not milky.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I am interested in hearing what you find but here are my thoughts on it. Since it didn't die out on you and ran fine after the incident I'd expect that the air filter is fine. And if it did get any water it in it should have dried out by now with all the air flowing through it. I would think that the puddle was too short and you were moving too fast to get water in the rear. I'd more expect some physical damage like those rubber mats that are fastened under the hood to have been ripped off or maybe some wires pulled loose somewhere.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,326 Likes on 1,743 Posts
Originally Posted by lawdawg79
something told me to accelerate past them and get out in front of them...

That little voice in your head... might want to have a heart to heart sit down with him and let him know this time you might have been lucky, but next time, the wall of water pushed by the frontal area of your truck could have cost you $15K.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:05 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
That little voice in your head... might want to have a heart to heart sit down with him and let him know this time you might have been lucky, but next time, the wall of water pushed by the frontal area of your truck could have cost you $15K.

... or a LIFE or TWO!

Old 12-28-2015, 04:14 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad you're ok.

Were it me, I would check my britches and my air cleaner.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:58 PM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
Just checked my Diffs. Mine where good.
Before you go under the truck with 1/2 in drive. Also grab a box end wrench to use as cheater bar.
My rear hasn't been out in a LONG time. Plenty of fuzz on the magnet.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:07 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 218 Likes on 148 Posts
A chassis lube would be in order.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:43 PM
AubieTN
Tuned
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Several years ago I went through some axle deep water at slow speed but soon after that I had a front wheel bearing fail and when I tore it apart I found a lot of corrosion indicating the presence of water contamination. Not much you can check with these hub bearings though. Just keep an eye on them for slight noises.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:26 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Good story! I hit a water slick the other day in my dually and that got my attention but these trucks hardly leave the pavement in those conditions.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:37 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Glad to hear all is well so far, Mugly got wet and lost an engine from sucking in water.

Check the oil, in case the seal on the dip stick tube is compromised. Rear end and air filter can get a good soaking. Your flex plate got a visit from the elements - I hope it wasn't muddy. That much force on the nose can bend stuff in your steering hardware. Water may or may not have reached a fuel tank vent - you may want to make sure your vent tubes are still in place. I'd say a thorough inspection with a creeper and a light is in order.

We've had a good dose of snow lately, and Stinky has been using his tow strap to get everything from ditched cars to stuck fork lifts on the move. Nothing says "git-a-goin'" like 8000 pounds atop good tires with a diesel as a motivator.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:43 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't use cruise control in heavy rain!!

Quick Reply: Hit around 2 feet of water at 60 mph