Just thought i'd post this to possibly save someone out there a boat load of money like I did.
I almost went to the dealer and purchased a new fuel sending unit but decided to try something just for kicks, and boy am I glad I did.
First off, I posted a few days ago stating that I ran my truck out of fuel with the gauge showing 1/4 of a tank of fuel.
The sending unit had failed.
Today I dropped the tank, and just before running out and giving the stealership almost 500 bucks, I grabbed my can of "Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner" spray.
It is a high pressure spray can, similar to carb cleaner but I imagine, not NEARLY as harsh.
I sprayed tons of the stuff in and around the plastic sending unit sensor area where the fuel float up and down "action" takes place. (like the pivot point, where the sensor ITSELF is located)
I let the stuff dry fully, and started running some tests positioning the float wire in different positions and cycling the ignition, including at very low levels where the fuel light is ON, where it would not correctly indicate before.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.