2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2007 Expy Drivers Power Seat problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 05:19 PM
00excursion
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Expy Drivers Power Seat problem

My drivers seat suddenly stopped going forward and back, but still goes up/down and recline...are there any fuses etc. or other things to check before going to the dealer with it?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Gevans17
Posting Guru
probably a jammed seat track. hope it is still in warranty

Old 01-15-2011, 04:26 PM
homepukes
Senior User
What did you find out? This just happened to mine.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:15 PM
homepukes
Senior User
So, I am driving the Expedition to the dealership to have them take a look. It is about a twenty minute drive. About 5 minutes away from the dealership the seat starts working fine. Maybe it is just a relay that needed to get warmed up. Who knows?

Old 01-17-2011, 06:14 PM
joiseystud
Junior User
Originally Posted by homepukes
So, I am driving the Expedition to the dealership to have them take a look. It is about a twenty minute drive. About 5 minutes away from the dealership the seat starts working fine. Maybe it is just a relay that needed to get warmed up. Who knows?
Relays dont need to warm up. I would bring it to the dealer anyway and let them know what happened. Is it still under warranty?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:44 PM
homepukes
Senior User
It is not under warranty so I'll just wait until it starts acting up again. I am taking the warming up relay from an old car I had when I was 16. The power windows wouldn't work in cold weather. After I drove the car for 10 min with the heat on I would hear a click and the windows would start working.

Whatever the problem it is working for now. I moved it so my wife can drive it and I'll just leave it there.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 PM
joiseystud
Junior User
Originally Posted by homepukes
It is not under warranty so I'll just wait until it starts acting up again. I am taking the warming up relay from an old car I had when I was 16. The power windows wouldn't work in cold weather. After I drove the car for 10 min with the heat on I would hear a click and the windows would start working.

Whatever the problem it is working for now. I moved so my wife can drive it and I'll just leave it there.
Interesting. Sounds like the relay was bad. I guess if there is a broken connection on the coil that makes contact when the ambient is warmer. Thats possible. Either ways its a bad relay. A good relay should operate with cold ambient temperatures.

You can go through and just make sure all the connections are made on the seat. I havent looked but I assume there is a harness of some kind connecting the seat to power. If thats good and the problem is in the seat itself its a bigger job to repair. Start with the connection first.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 PM
homepukes
Senior User
I don't have a wiring diagram but I hear something clicking underneath the dash when I move the seat. A relay perhaps? I will check the connections under the seat.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:06 AM
ccraner
New User
Anyone figure out this issue? I'm having the same problem on my '08 Limited. Everything works fine but drivers seat will not move forward or back either when usign the switch or when trying to use the memory setting. All other functioanlity of the seat works fine except forward and back.

I don't hear much noise, but when trying to move to a memory setting I do hear a clicking noise.

Would love feedback if anyone has resolved the issue.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:18 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My seat did the same thing, quit working forward and backward. Initially, it would not work for an hour or so, then I'd try it and it'd be fine. The issue kept getting worse and worse meaning the length of time the seat did not move was longer and longer until I think it quit all together as it did not move for over a month. It was driving me nuts because it was stuck in memory 23 which is my wife's seating position. I'm 6'4" and she's 5'9"...she likes to sit almost on top of the steering wheel.

The issue could be the actuator or the motor itself. My local dealer found the issue to be the motor. I bit the bullet and bought a new seat track, retail is over $700 and you'll need a wire harness to adapt the truck harness to the new track as the manufacturer of the motors has changed thus the harness being different. You cannot buy the motor that moves the seat forward and back, at least you can't from Ford. I was ready to get it from Tasca(sp?) until I found the track at a dealer 30 miles away. The guy gave me every discount he could and got me down to around 400 with the harness. I changed the track by myself in about 4 hours.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:32 AM
98explorerltd
Junior User
great... mine stopped working this morning. Driver's side. So you think it's a motor issue? Where'd you see how to fix it?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:45 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched the dealer trace power down to the motor itself...the motor had power, but wouldn't move. He said the motor failure is common and the only fix is a new track with new motor.

I didn't find a tutorial for the fix, I just went at it blind. It's faily self-explanatory...remove this to get to that and so on. Once you get the seat removed from the vehicle, it's a matter of taking a part from the old seat track and installing it on the new seat track. When I got the new track installed, I messed with the old track to see if I could get it to move, no dice....the motor simply quit.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM
98explorerltd
Junior User
I had my 1998 explorer for 12 years... not once did i have motors quit... yet in my wife's 2007 moutaineer, i have a 3rd row seat motor quit, and now my power seat quit....
not good for ford...

Old 09-09-2011, 09:34 AM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
No kidding... We have had at least 3 issues with our power memory seat. The biggest issue was that it would move back so we can get out, but not move forward so we could drive, we had to force the seat forward. This was a bad circuit board, computer for the seat itself... We had one track replaced while it was under full warranty. Then my Wife says the seat rocks some, and drives her nuts, but it doesn't for me or the Ford Guys....

Old 09-17-2011, 01:24 PM
dott
New User
Originally Posted by jimmyv13
I watched the dealer trace power down to the motor itself...the motor had power, but wouldn't move. He said the motor failure is common and the only fix is a new track with new motor.
My wife's 2008 Expy Ltd is having a similar problem. It feels like the seat has debris in the track because the track on the left tries to keep moving but you can feel the track on the right side stop. Doesn't seem to have the proper amount of travel. I'm pretty sure the motor has power but something is stopping the right side movement.

I removed the seat bolts and raised it up so I could watch the movement to verify this.

Any ideas? Obviously not a fuse or relay. You can see the motor trying to move the seat. Is there a limit switch or something to control the travel?

Quick Reply: 2007 Expy Drivers Power Seat problem