Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Visseroth,
Would that be a JP diesel

Old 10-19-2011, 12:44 PM
HH60FE
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RedLine Diesel Fuel Catalyst? Hmm I might have to try that.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:04 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The WW is a wheel on the inducer side of the turbo that most only put on to stop surge that these trucks tend to see often. You won't get any mileage bump out of it. It cures surge by flowing less air and being less efficient. My advice if you have surge is to fix it the right way if you have the money.
DP has all custom tunes. You can scroll threw the list of them and get the ones you think you might want or need. You have options too the F5 or F6 I believe the F5 is around $200 and the F6 is around $600 I may be wrong. Go to there website and check it out. You can email Jody and tell him how your planning on using your truck every day and he will email you his suggestions on what he thinks you may want. The 60 economy I would stay away from because there isn't much benifit from the 80 economy. If you have any questions about any tunes you can ask us here or email Jody, either way you'll get a straight answer. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...0e-dp-2-q.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...0e-vs-80e.html

Old 10-19-2011, 10:30 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Thanks John. That does help. Will put a turbo upgrade toward the bottom of the list.

More reading to do about tuners for sure. May need to call Jody and chat.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:56 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Visseroth,
Would that be a JP diesel
Oh yea, LOL, thanks

Old 10-20-2011, 06:31 AM
Bpayton
Senior User
I bought an 01 Excursion about two months ago and have been doing a lot of reading on this subject. I use my Excursion primarily for towing my 28 foot trailer (10k). I did have a Chevy 3500 gas dually that was getting best of 7.5mpg towing this trailer going 65mph. Stock when I bought the Ex on my way home I got 15.5 to 16 mpg, just the truck and on my first trip towing my trailer I got a best of 10.5mpg @ 2k rpm. I started doing a lot of reading on improvements that would affect power and mpg this is what I came up with. Start out with the 6637 filter, then get the gauges. I got the Ev2’s because they looked stock and fit really nice on the a-pillar. Not being a wiring guy they took about 4 hours for me to install with all the sensors and everything. Then I went for the 4” MBRP exhaust. I was extremely surprised at how nice the exhaust fit. It goes right into the stock rubber mounts. The only problem I had was loosening the clamp at the turbo. Was about 1 ½ hours total taking off the old exhaust and installing the new. After doing a lot of research I ended up going with DP tuner and I can tell you it is unbelievable how much this changes the truck. I noticed a huge difference in shifting and power. Towing (60t) is crazy my truck doesn’t downshift as much and just motors up hills it struggled with before. I got 60E, 80E & 60T with the tuner. I fought with the plug a little on the ECU but over all about an hour to install and reinstall. Finally I got a BTS valve body for the transmission. The shifts are a lot firmer but not to firm when I am not pulling. There was a lot of talk about these valve body’s help saving the trans and for $200 I couldn’t say no. this one was about 2.5 hours to install. Now after doing these upgrades I noticed a big difference in towing and without the trailer with MPG. Towing I now get just over 13mpg @ 2k rpm and without a trailer I got 20 @ around 75mph. I am very happy with the mods I have done to my truck and they have helped dramatically.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I need to head out to work, and didn't have the time to read this whole thread so if I'm repeating things here, apologies.
The setup that I believe will gain the highest mileage is a 2wd truck with very tall gears, 3:30 or better.
Stick or automatic, doesn't matter.
Stock nozzle single shot injectors.
Larger than stock HPOP so that the high pressure oil is never compromised.
6637 air filter.
Straight pipe exhaust.
Stock turbo with the wastegate tightened up a little so it opens at 10 psi vs. 5.
Move the fuel pump to the end of the fuel pickup so that there is no chance of air intrusion in the fuel.
And then a chip that has been tuned for this setup.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:47 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I need to head out to work, and didn't have the time to read this whole thread so if I'm repeating things here, apologies.
The setup that I believe will gain the highest mileage is a 2wd truck with very tall gears, 3:30 or better.
Stick or automatic, doesn't matter.
Stock nozzle single shot injectors.
Larger than stock HPOP so that the high pressure oil is never compromised.
6637 air filter.
Straight pipe exhaust.
Stock turbo with the wastegate tightened up a little so it opens at 10 psi vs. 5.
Move the fuel pump to the end of the fuel pickup so that there is no chance of air intrusion in the fuel.
And then a chip that has been tuned for this setup.
^^^this!!!

Single shot injectors are the way to go. New boots and riffraff inserts to kill boost leaks. That's the number one mileage killer!!

Water/meth in small does might get a slight gain but I don't seeing it being cost effective. Guess that's why I have a $650 cooling mist kit sitting in my room I never installed.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:56 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Heres some info. when it come to single shots, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-straight.html
How much are you willing to invest into getting better mileage is the question you still need to ask yourself. You could invest $5000 and get 20 mpgs but once again how long is it gonna take for it to be cost affective? If you go single shots you have to have your truck tuned for them too

Old 10-20-2011, 08:41 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Yeah, I was looking at the water/meth because it claims to improve the burn of the fuel in the cylinder to near 100% while lowering EGT.

Will probably save the $900. Still trying to digest all the ideas, mods and upgrades I've learned about just in the few days I've been on FTE.

Definitly getting the AE program so I can see what's going on with the engine. Gonna clean the EBPS tube, do the $.50 Mod, Hutch/ Harpoon Mod, Fuel rail crossover, gauges, 4 inch straight exhaust, cold air intake, and a DP tuner.

Not sure after that.

By The way I do appreciate all the answers and advice I'm getting here.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:00 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Anytime were always up for spending other peoples money lol

Old 02-04-2012, 05:30 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by chubman
I've struggled with declining mpgs for years, even have a post on here...couple years back, asking question somewhat similar to yours (but mine was more like, why do I get 10mpg pulling my 7000lb travel trailer and 11mpg when I'm not).

Again, for the past half-dozen years, I'd been getting about 11-12mpg every tank, most of it city driving, but some of it full tank driving on the freeway (all 250 miles of it, cause that's all the further I could go before needing to refuel).
Well, I've taken several long trips this year, Oregon was 1800 R/T. I pulled a flatbed car trailer with a car on it, and got over 18mpg going up, and 19.5 coming back empty (and faster coming home!)
Plus, i've been getting 15-16mpg avg and more in town this whole year. Huge improvements over the flat 10-11 of years past no matter what type of driving I was doing.
Here's how my truck has been able to regain the mileage I was getting the first 2 years I owned it, before it gradually degraded every year.
In a full tank of fuel, I put one entire bottle of RedLine Diesel Fuel Catalyst. I bought it at my local O'Reilly Auto Parts cause it was on sale. (I don't work there or for RedLine, or know anyone that does). Basically I figured if a little helps, a whole lot has to be better. I went forever before needing to fill up, didn't even dawn on me at first so I didn't check the mileage. But I did the next tank. It was around 17mpg's - in town!
I now run half a bottle every tank, but whenever the truck seems to be losing mpg's again or not quite running right, the next tank will get a full bottle. At $6 a bottle, I think of it as adding about the price of one extra gallon of fuel per tank ($4)..but saves me $40-60 every tank.
I may have bad injectors, or something else worn-out or faulty, I've yet to figure it out, but in the meantime this is working for me. So if you're getting ok mileage now, and you want better, this product may not help you, I don't know. Maybe it only works on the unknown issue that I'm having. I am just so F'in happy that I found a solution to MY mpg issue, that I tell everyone I know to at least give it a try, what do they have to lose but $6. Sorry for the long post, but I really get excited when i tell my story!!
Also, I'm pretty easy on my go-pedal, but I've found that now that I'm using this stuff in the tank, I have to make sure I do a few (2 or 3 or so) full-throttle runs (from 10mph to about 70mph usually works) every couple weeks (or every tank is how I remember to do it) - seems to load-up otherwise.
Just my 2cents.
Based on other suggestions, I bought 2 gallons of Diesel Kleen and used 1 gallon per instructions. I got 16-17 city/hwy and upper 18s highway. Based on the post above, I used one bottle of RedLine Diesel Fuel Catalyst on the first tank of a long road trip (winter mix fuel). I used 2 more bottles per instructions and I got the best mileage in my truck to date.

Once I used up the RedLine Diesel Fuel Catalyst, I returned to my remaining gallon of Diesel Kleen and my mileage returned to the numbers I had before. Now that the Diesel Kleen is gone, and after seeing the chart below, I will be revisiting the whole RedLine Diesel Fuel Catalyst and othe additives issue.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:29 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Tugly,
I ran a couple of tanks with the Red line catalyst and only saw about a 1 mpg increase. It was right after I got the truck and was monkeyin around with other stuff as well so not really good data. I'm going to finish a few more of the mods I need to do, get a better base line then try the RedLine again.

Your numbers are certainly encouraging. Keep us posted on wether or not you keep seeing that kind of milage.

Thanks,

Old 02-04-2012, 06:40 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
alot of go info here. this is my .02, proper tire pressure, synthetic fluids, clean fuel, no boost leaks, no exhaust leaks, cold air intake, free flowing exhaust, and easy on the skinny pedal. Tuners can vary, I've had 3 different tuners and I get the best mileage with the one i have now. Power Hungry Performance. and some type of guage system to monitor in all.

Barney

Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 AM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bfife
alot of go info here. this is my .02, proper tire pressure, synthetic fluids, clean fuel, no boost leaks, no exhaust leaks, cold air intake, free flowing exhaust, and easy on the skinny pedal. Tuners can vary, I've had 3 different tuners and I get the best mileage with the one i have now. Power Hungry Performance. and some type of guage system to monitor in all.

Barney
Very well put. I would also say a live tuning instead of canned tunes will help a bit. I would also thing a RR or FRx fuel system to remove air from the system. Remember. Air is a contaminate in a fuel system.

Quick Reply: How to get max MPG's