Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

1931 Model AA Potential

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:45 AM
scl009
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1931 Model AA Potential

Heres my plan (Please don't call it a hotrod):

1931 Model AA 157 inch wheelbase chassis
1976 Ford 300 I6 engine
1992 2wd ZF S542 trans
1931 Slant windsheild model A 4 door

Hoping to turn this all into an original looking quad cab pickup as a daily driver, something that can tow if it wants too, or get on the highway relatively safely without being run over (or blown by is more likely).

I had the plan to do this and 2 weeks after I bought my chassis last september, I found a guy that did almost everything I want body and bed wise. At first I was a little upset, as i figured out my idea was not all that original, but then I was happy because I knew that at least the body and bed would work out to proportions. He didn't change the engine or driveline though so top speed was still 40 mph.

Thats where my engine and trans come in. I want a workhorse. I don't need anything that will take me down any sort of track or quarter mile stretch etc. I chose the 300 because it is reliable and unrelenting not to mention working on an I6 is reletively easy on the brain. I feel that pairing it up with the ZF will give me the best range of towing and driving capabilities.

I've got the chassis, engine, and trans and I'm going to pick up the body next weekend. So far I've been cleaning up the chassis and engine, and preparing to bolt up the trans to the engine. Its taking me a while just to get all the parts, but I have enough (with occasional trips over to the U-Pull-It) parts to start mocking this project up.

I don't necessarily like to call it a hot rod because I'm not looking for anything flashy or astonishing. I love the model A's for just what they are, but there is a time and a purpose for them. All but one or two of the guys in my Ford Model A Club keep there cars parked in there garage for 99% of the year, don't take it /leave it out in the rain, and certainly wouldn't take it more than 30 miles away from their homestead. This is all fine and dandy for their applications, and I will eventually have a few cars/trucks like this when I get older. But right now I want something that will help me to pick up other projects or work on my house, or even go visit family a few hours down the interstate.

I can't seem to post photos yet, but will provide links to photobucket in the near future

Scott

Old 11-20-2011, 02:28 PM
edwardldog
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man it's a shame that no one has posted on this but I recon there just ain't that many AA fans here..