1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

'95 ford ranger radiator support replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 PM
ken_r_mer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 ford ranger radiator support replacement

Well, I just completed replacing the rusted out radiator support member on my '95 ranger 4 cyl 4x4. I had rustproofed the new support and used a combination of structural adhesive and s.s. sheet metal screws in place of the spotwelds as was done on the original. So yes, you can do a replacement without the need for welding.

I supported the radiator and ac coil with rope from a wood broom handle across the front from fender to fender so no need to so anything with the coolant system.

I first removed the plastic grille, then the plastic front grille / headlight frame, then the front bumper, unbolted the radiator and ac cooling coil from the radiator support, removed the airbag sensors and additional items on the interior side of the radiator support, drilled out the multiple spotwelds, and pulled the support out. Then addressed the surface rust of the remaining exposed metal, rustproofed as much of sheetmetal up front as I could find, completely rustproofed all surfaces of the replacement radiator support, cleaned up the mating surfaces that the structural adhesive would come in contact (former spot weld surfaces) then screwed s.s. sheetmeal screws that held everything in place till the adhesive set up and reattached everything back. Since I had painted bumpers I opted to get the front and rear bumpers hotdipped galvanized for $100. When the galvanizing weathers, it'll get a flat grey patina close to the grey on the stock plastic fender flares and front grille.

Plan on buying about 60 screws since most of the screws snapped off for me even with using BP Blaster on the screws for about 2 days in advance. The spring steel screw clips were another matter, they were all reusable with no signs of rust damage.

Oh, one important item... be sure you leave some bare metal to metal contact from the airbag sensors to the radiator support or else you will get an airbag flashing error code when you first start up the motor. The airbag sensor bracket is the electrical ground.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:56 PM
customstringer
Elder User
Nice post. I am babying the radiator support on my 97 by keeping it coated with Fluid Film to allay the rust. I don't know if I have a different air bag sensor but when mine went and I replaced it there was no issue about metal to metal contact. No surprise, one of the mounting screws was froze due to rust. I drilled it out and replaced it with a screw and locknut.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:36 PM
ken_r_mer
Freshman User
On the '95 Ranger there are two airbag sensors, one in the horizontal position and one in the vertical. Each is mounted just to the left and right of the radiator opening of the core support. I'm going to guess one senses a side impact and the other senses a frontal impact