Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 F150 with 302 running rough, please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:35 PM
McDonous
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 88 F150 with 302 running rough, please help

So I just did a tune up..new plugs, wires, MSD distributor cap, oil, oil filter, fuel filter. It cranked up just fine and ran good for a while, then it started spitting and sputtering, died on me..it cranked right back up so I drove it home, it spit and sputtered again for a while, then kicked back into gear like nothing was wrong. It has fuel, fresh fuel and like I said, a new fuel filter. I changed out the air filter with a ram intake, so it's not an old air filter. the timing is right on it because it's sucking up air like a champ and has great throttle response...it was top dead center when I did the tune up. when I tried to take it out for a drive today it didn't want to run at all, every time I hit the gas it hesitates and then tries kick back up but hesitates again. The only thing I can think of is it's dumping too much fuel, when I hit the release on the fuel rail it shoots out in a big, strong stream. the spark plugs seem to have a lot of fuel on them, is there anyway to adjust the amount of fuel that gets dumped into it? I don't know, any suggestions as to what it might be, I'm at a loss for options here. Thanks guys..and gals

Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 PM
burnout400m
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it's doing it when hot it could be the coil. had the same thing happen to my '89 f150. ran good cold then got rough at operating temp, particularly when accelerating. might also be the fuel pressure regulator maybe. been years since I owned a blue oval with EFI(though that will change wensday if everything works out)

Old 10-17-2011, 08:54 PM
McDonous
New User
where is the fuel pressure regulator..it does it when it's cold or hot. does it all the time. I tried looking for it online but I can't seem to get a picture of it.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:30 PM
burnout400m
Posting Guru
I think it's near the fuel rail on the driver's side. I don't think they're very expensive but it's been maybe 7 years since I pulled mine and 3 or 4 since I sold the truck. I think it's held on with 3 screws and has a small vacuum line with a 90 degree elbow on it.

however between '87 and '89 or so they had 2 different fuel systems for trucks with dual tanks. mine had the funky old system with 1 low pressure pump in each tank feeding the high pressure main pump so if you have the newer setup the pressure regulator might be totally different, dunno.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 PM
McDonous
New User
I have the one with dual tanks, the one main tank doesn't work, the plug in sending unit is fried..something I have to replace. I'm using the reserve tank and it ran fine. advance auto has one for about 22 bucks, think I'll go that route and hope it works out. if not, I'm at a loss I may have to break down and take it to a mechanic. I think that it has got to be it, I think that it's pushing too much fuel to the injectors causing it to run rough. I'll try the new regulator and see what happens..I'll let u know

Old 10-18-2011, 01:29 AM
burnout400m
Posting Guru
they had two different systems for trucks WITH DUAL TANKS. one system has a main high pressure pump being fed by two low pressure pumps, one for each tank. the other just had a main high pressure pump for each tank.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:11 AM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by McDonous
So I just did a tune up..new plugs, wires, MSD distributor cap, oil, oil filter, fuel filter. It cranked up just fine and ran good for a while, then it started spitting and sputtering, died on me..it cranked right back up so I drove it home, it spit and sputtered again for a while, then kicked back into gear like nothing was wrong. It has fuel, fresh fuel and like I said, a new fuel filter. I changed out the air filter with a ram intake, so it's not an old air filter. the timing is right on it because it's sucking up air like a champ and has great throttle response...it was top dead center when I did the tune up. when I tried to take it out for a drive today it didn't want to run at all, every time I hit the gas it hesitates and then tries kick back up but hesitates again. The only thing I can think of is it's dumping too much fuel, when I hit the release on the fuel rail it shoots out in a big, strong stream. the spark plugs seem to have a lot of fuel on them, is there anyway to adjust the amount of fuel that gets dumped into it? I don't know, any suggestions as to what it might be, I'm at a loss for options here. Thanks guys..and gals

Problem sounds like timing...If you adjusted the timing did you first disconnect the spout circuit>>>>CLICK HERE> Ford Fuel Injection » Setting the timing ...also I think that motor is 10 BTDC

Old 10-18-2011, 05:37 AM
farrell262
Freshman User
yes i was about to say the same on my 86 f-150 when i did my timing without unplugging the spout circuit it acted the same but eventually wouldnt run at all. it could also be an injector problem a short in your fusible link. Add some heet to your gas if it is injectors that should help clear it out or any other octane product that you would like i would suggest lucas fuel injector cleaner.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:00 AM
lew52
Postmaster
Like slip ford said , if you have the base timing set at TDC thats a problem , remove the spout and set the base timing at 10 deg BTDC...

Old 10-18-2011, 07:05 AM
McDonous
New User
Originally Posted by Slip ford man
Problem sounds like timing...If you adjusted the timing did you first disconnect the spout circuit Ford Fuel Injection » Setting the timing ...also I think that motor is 10 BTDC
No what is the spout circuit? Where is it located? I'll try that in addition to replacing the fuel pressure regulator.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by McDonous
No what is the spout circuit? Where is it located? I'll try that in addition to replacing the fuel pressure regulator.

Your supposed to click on the link that I posted

Old 10-18-2011, 01:11 PM
burnout400m
Posting Guru
someone mentioned HEAT and that reminded me of a time when I filled both tanks at a crappy gas station and the gas had water in it. I dumped some HEAT in and that solved the issue. I knew a guy that thought he had water in his fuel and he used HEAT and that cleared it up for a bit but next fill up it stated it again. turned out to be a coolant leak and the steam was getting pulled into the intake. wouldn't hurt to spend the few bucks and get some fuel system cleaner or HEAT and while you're at it you should get that other fuel tank working, maybe the other pump is on it's last leg. in any case I've learned the hard way not to let things slide. even if the problem won't get any worse something always rears it head at the worst possible time and suddenly that minor issue you've been putting off manages to be a contributing factor to a larger crisis.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:24 PM
McDonous
New User
Originally Posted by Slip ford man
Your supposed to click on the link that I posted
Sorry I'm on my iPhone. Didn't see it

Old 10-18-2011, 02:45 PM
bafm
New User
"the timing is right on it because it's sucking up air like a champ and has great throttle response...it was top dead center when I did the tune up"

Huh?? Please elaborate.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:21 PM
McDonous
New User
we made sure the crank shaft was lined up with the paint lines that came on it from the factory, the motor was top dead center. if the timing was off, from what I was told, when engine goes to suck in air it will be either very week or suck in then blow out.

Quick Reply: 88 F150 with 302 running rough, please help