Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2011, 04:44 PM
New User

giantslayer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I replace my Thermostat in my 86 F-250 6.9 Diesel and it's not functioning right...

About 3 weeks ago I replaced the thermostat in my 86 f-250 that has the 6.9 idi diesel w/a banks turbo and the temperure gauge seems to be running in the middle between the r and the a of normal.Is that normal? Also I replaced the lower radiator hose and when the truck has run for a while I've noticed the upper radiator hose will be hot but the lower radiator hose will be cool.Is that normal? I don't belive it is. Also I replaced the themostat w/an aftermarket one from NAPA and it had a rubber ring arond the edge which I took off so the thermostat could seat properly. Was I wrong to take that off. Also this past Saturday night I went to the store (4.5 miles) and got fuel than went inside and left the truck running and when I got back in I noticed the temp gauge was towards the high mark (L of normal). Could that be due to either a bad thermostat or air in the system? As I drove back home it did drop to the middle. AlsoHow big a job is it to replace the fan clutch and could a bad fan clutch hurt my mpg? One lat question: How do I purge the cooling system of air? I know there is air in the system. Thanks
Old 10-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Diesel Junkie

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantslayer View Post
Also I replaced the lower radiator hose and when the truck has run for a while I've noticed the upper radiator hose will be hot but the lower radiator hose will be cool.Is that normal? I don't belive it is.
im going to leave most of your questions for others (search too would have helped you before flush/replacing t-stat though fyi.)

hot coolant in (upper hose) - radiator does its job (radiates the heat away from the coolant) - cool coolant out/back into block (lower hose.)
so having a much cooler lower hose than the top hose is normal.
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 10-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Posting Guru

tecgod13 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
For starters, these engines don't like aftermarket thermostats. Some people have reported success with them, most people have problems.. You should have used a the motorcraft thermostat thats specced for these trucks.

For the radiator hose question, yes thats normal. The hot water goes into the top of the radiator, and cold water comes out the bottom. The radiators on these trucks work really well. Also, since your thermostat isn't working right, its not dumping as much hot into the radiator.

I believe there is a ball in the thermostat neck that works as a checkvalve, and that will bleed the system for you. But I haven't had one apart so I can't tell you specifics, do a search or wait for other replies.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Post Fiend

starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.
The lower hose should be a little cooler, but not cold.
X2 on not using aftermarket thermostats, do a search on here and you will find they did not work most of the time.

Changing the fan clutch is not a hard job at all, and if it is locked up it will cause lower gas mileage.

What is going on that makes you think you have air in the system.
If it breaks because of my advice
you can keep both halves
Old 10-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Post Fiend

IDIDieselJohn has a very good reputation on FTE.IDIDieselJohn has a very good reputation on FTE.IDIDieselJohn has a very good reputation on FTE.IDIDieselJohn has a very good reputation on FTE.
Have a read here!

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...l#post10526448

1990 Ford F250 4x4, ZF5, L/S 4.10, N/A 7.3L Diesel, 568,808km/377,497 miles, still on the original clutch!
1989 Ford F150 300-6, C6, 2.73, 135,000km/84,000 miles.
1987 Ford E350 26ft. Motorhome, N/A 6.9L Diesel, C6, 3.54, 277,000km/173,000 miles.
1985 Ford E350 Ext Van, 6.9L Diesel, C6, 4.11, 670,000km/419k miles
Old 10-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Senior User

josh'sdeisel is starting off with a positive reputation.
if you live on dirt roads take and power wash the **** out of your radiator because that will condridict on your readings did you put a high temp rtb paste on your thermostat? also if you have air in your ac system that could also contridict it also i think but take and get a vaccume pulled on ;your system and new freeon put in it. maybe flush out your raidiator. drain the over flow and buy the stuff at walmart and run it through your raidiator and follow the directions on the bottle. after that take and put all new fluids and antifreez in it.... heck ya it rainig now on the big red yea gona get out of the drout thank you god you are a great one
Old 10-17-2011, 10:32 PM
A Half a meatball....

Aune163rd has a very good reputation on FTE.Aune163rd has a very good reputation on FTE.Aune163rd has a very good reputation on FTE.
Well...I hate to 'RAIN' on your parade, but its been raining for 4 days straight up here in MT....
Quintin Aune BigBs'r #21 & Off. Slackmaster #31
1984 F250 6.9l N/A 212,000 miles Wrecked 26 Oct 11
1990 F-350 7.3l IDI ZF-5(sold)
2000 F-250 6.8l Triton V10 209k miles
2006 F-250 5.4l Triton V8 129k Loaded XL
Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 AM
Posting Guru

cj06 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aune163rd View Post
Well...I hate to 'RAIN' on your parade, but its been raining for 4 days straight up here in MT....

send some rain down my way , AZ , choking on dust ! been a couple of years since a good rain and the garbage is piling up , cant burn it till we get some good rain storms or it will set off a wild fire !
Old 10-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Senior User

josh'sdeisel is starting off with a positive reputation.
well i can only do my best to try and send it over thata way but no promises
Old 10-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Elder User

typefour is starting off with a positive reputation.
These engines dont trap air in the cooling system like some foreign POS. Likely the napa stat isnt happy. And if the check ball in the neck is missing it doesnt hurt anything. If stuck it can take longer to bleed the back of the stat.
91 f 350 cc 4x4, 3:55 gears. zf 5, 7.3 ATS 093 with bigger comp wheel, intercooled with cutdown 7,3 ps IC all gauges ignored with good aftermarket ones. Head studs, balanced . 12 psi 1k pyro under load way better mileage than the 460.

218/461 on the dyno. after 80k miles, wanted to make sure she was broke in.
sandeater1@gmail.com
Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 PM
New User

giantslayer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks,

Should've bought a Ford O.E stat.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Tags
150, 1986, 1989, 1993, 250, 69, 9, change, diesel, f250, ford, hose, radiator, removal, replace, thermostat