Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2011, 10:15 PM
New User

fordgirl992 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where should I look to buy a front camera for 2011 F250?

I'm interested in looking to buy my boyfriend a front camera for his 2011 F250, he already bought the truck with a reverse camera pre-installed but I have no idea on price ranges or what/where to look for buying him a front camera that will connect with his navigation screen?

Would love some help!
Thanks
Old 10-16-2011, 10:17 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgirl992 View Post
I'm interested in looking to buy my boyfriend a front camera for his 2011 F250, he already bought the truck with a reverse camera pre-installed but I have no idea on price ranges or what/where to look for buying him a front camera that will connect with his navigation screen?

Would love some help!
Thanks
Any normal license plate camera will work. Then just wire them to a switch in the cab and you can select which camera to have active
- Trey PAA Member #110
"Jaws"- 2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 10-16-2011, 10:22 PM
FTE Administrator

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE, fordgirl. All I have to say is, you're a pretty cool girlfriend

I'm going to move your post to it's own thread, where hopefully more people will see it and be able to give you some suggestions.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 10-16-2011, 10:46 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Way to be on it Steve I agree, shes a keeper!

FordGirl, I recommend this camera. Its a little pricey, but a great quality camera.
Amazon.com: Boyo VTL422C Zinc Metal Bar Type License Plate (Black): Car Electronics
- Trey PAA Member #110
My How-To Video Library
Old 10-16-2011, 10:55 PM
New User

Thanks guys! I'll check those places out! And thank you for putting me on my own thread haha. So If I do get a camera that goes on the license plate what else do I need with it? Just the camera and wiring that comes with it and it will for sure work with his system he already has once it's installed?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:02 PM
9 ECHO 1

Once you get the camera it will need to be wired up. You will have to give it power, and run a wire for the video signal. Also, you will need to find the wire for the factory camera and put both camera video wires on a switch, then connect that switch to the the navigation unit, where the factory camera used to be connected. That way he can select which camera he wants.

I'm 99% sure thats how it needs to be done. If anyone knows different (such as Ford using a proprietary video signal in the navigation unit) let me know. Otherwise you should be golden.
- Trey PAA Member #110
My How-To Video Library
Old 10-16-2011, 11:03 PM
New User

Okay so I looked on amazon at the black Boyo metal bar type and thats not a bad price! What else would I need with it? And I think the link you gave me is just the plate itself..it doesn't say anything about the camera itself but I could be wrong..?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:05 PM
New User

Oops just now got the last post. So all I should buy is the metal license plate bar? And once he picks the camera then all the wiring will come with it when we buy that? Sorry this is like a second language to me haha
Old 10-16-2011, 11:06 PM
9 ECHO 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgirl992 View Post
Okay so I looked on amazon at the black Boyo metal bar type and thats not a bad price! What else would I need with it? And I think the link you gave me is just the plate itself..it doesn't say anything about the camera itself but I could be wrong..?
The link I provided to amazon is the whole camera, and wiring. In addition to that you will need a two position switch. Go to radio shack and explain it to them, they will show you. It will look something like this:

You can also get fancier ones if you shop around.

Click the image to open in full size.
- Trey PAA Member #110
My How-To Video Library
Old 10-16-2011, 11:16 PM
New User

Okay, I'm definitely going to go around and get some other prices still before I buy it..thanks so much!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:17 PM
9 ECHO 1

No problem. When picking a camera try to pay more than $20 or so. I have a $20 one and there is a BIG difference between mine and the one I gave you a link for.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:20 PM
New User

try to pay MORE? aw bummer! Alright, I guess this is one of those things where you get what you pay for then..hopefully!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:31 PM
9 ECHO 1

I'm sure he's worth it haha. If he's not, his truck is!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Senior User

DieselHardware has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselHardware has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselHardware has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselHardware has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm not sure just putting it on a switch will work. I always thought that video cables had two components, not just a single wire. Might post up in the audio/video section as well. Another great website for anything audio/video for cars/trucks is Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers
Old 10-16-2011, 11:37 PM
New User

He completely is And his truck is his obsession so it wouldn't hurt to help make it how he wants!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:37 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter

Tags
2011, adding, camera, cameras, f150, f250, ford, forward, front, install, installing, reverse, superduty, truck, work