6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-24-2014, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Bilstein 5100 Shock install with VIDEO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 12:37 AM
Shogunles
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 96sherm
Thanks. For some strange reason, I find my F350 diesel to ride way better than my F250 gas did. I contribute it to the difference in weights of trucks. The F350 still rides pretty stiff, understanding that it is a heavy duty truck, if I could improve it for 400 bucks I'd be pretty happy. I get into my father in law's '09 F150 FX4 and it feels like a Lincoln in ride quality compared to my F350.
You will still get a stiff ride even with the Bilsteins unladen. However, it will be less than with the OEM Rancho's or Ford OEM Shocks. However, when I drove over bumps in the road with the OEM's, I had terrible wheel hop and the truck was all over the road. This to, in part, was issue with the OEM Damper.

After installing the Bilstein 5100's all around, and 5100 Damper, the truck is planted better, and I did not get the hop traveling over bumps. And the steering was much tighter and did not react the way it did previously.

Towing my travel trailer, I could really feel the difference in the ride quality. IMHO, a very good investment.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:23 AM
dualli f 350 Quebec
New User
Well i got bad news for you,,,,,after 2 bilsteins stering damper a have to admit that my ford have a crapy front hand ,so i decide to put a PRO-COMP STERING DAMPER that is a heavy duty stering demper whit one cilynder on both side my stering is stiffer then the bilstein and it cost $350.00
THAT S THE END of something that is very dangerous on the road,,,,

Old 03-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Shogunles
Senior User
Originally Posted by dualli f 350 Quebec
Well i got bad news for you,,,,,after 2 bilsteins stering damper a have to admit that my ford have a crapy front hand ,so i decide to put a PRO-COMP STERING DAMPER that is a heavy duty stering demper whit one cilynder on both side my stering is stiffer then the bilstein and it cost $350.00
THAT S THE END of something that is very dangerous on the road,,,,
So far so good for me. Are you lifted? I m not. And I believe there is only one dual stabilizer on the market for non lifted tucks.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:08 PM
OffroadSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Shogunles
So far so good for me. Are you lifted? I m not. And I believe there is only one dual stabilizer on the market for non lifted tucks.
Icon has a very nice setup. I put mine on three years ago and have had no issues since. I had the Icon dual stabilizers on for 3 months before I did the level kit.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:47 AM
dualli f 350 Quebec
New User
no im not lifted,i pull a feefth Wheel 38 ft.weith 18000 pound.
anyway for me this forum is very helpfull,and i m very please that information serve the poeples,,,,,,thank every one ,,,,,even the lady from Ford .CA who try to know if i will change my truck with a Ford again ,,,FORD have to know something,,,,,,for us in the pick-up wold, we need quality its not the money because we work whit this tool and we need a good tool for working and earn good money and if the tool is not good then the decision is simple we change brand, simple as that until the satisfaction is ok before my FORD 2011 i had a 06 diesel dually and this was a mess,,,and before that 2001 GMC whit gaz engine 8.1 lit dually and this was a gas sucker and the quality was very bad,,,for me i think the best pick up will be a FORD frame, with a Cumming engine, whit the ALLISON transmission the INTERIEUR frome the RAM LONG HORN, the front suspension from the FORD RAPTOR AND THE TOYOTA QUALITY... LOL,,,,,,, men! ho men! i m dreaming...lol

Old 03-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
Originally Posted by OffroadSD
Icon has a very nice setup. I put mine on three years ago and have had no issues since. I had the Icon dual stabilizers on for 3 months before I did the level kit.
Is that a single or dual stabilizer? I only came across one that had dual for non lifted. And it was not Icon. I had the 5100's on my half ton, and loved them. Being brand loyal, I choose to install them on my F350.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:44 PM
dualli f 350 Quebec
New User
YES it is a dually like the video on sarge pick-up its a pro-comp and that s it

Old 10-09-2014, 06:28 PM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts
Well Sarge, you got me to do the sway bar install. And now I have 4 new Bilsteins sitting in my office waiting for a nice day to install them. The film was helpful but most of all is all the positive feedback on the Bilsteins. I have 8500 miles on my Ranchos and I don't like the wheel hop on bumpy Vermont roads. I'm expecting that to be resolved with these new shocks. Thanks again for all your contributions. If I have any, reps sent.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shawn..I am glad I could help. I love the shocks and the rear sway bar. Happy truck'in!!

Mike

Old 02-28-2015, 03:08 PM
SaddleTramp56
New User
Thanks Big Sarge
I have a 2015 F350 with 2800 miles on it and just bought the Bilstein 5100's for the front and back as well as the 5100 steering stabilizer. I already have a sway bar on the truck that came with the camper package. Looking forward to doing the install and feeling the improved ride.
Jody

Old 03-07-2015, 07:13 AM
SaddleTramp56
New User
With the weather as cold as it's been and not being able to fit the new truck in the garage I bit the bullet and had the dealership install my new shocks and stabilizer yesterday when I took it in for the first oil change at 3200 miles. I have to say the most noticeable improvement was the front end. Definitely a Day and Night difference. I had the dealer save all the old parts because I wanted to see for myself if my Rancho's compressed like a sponge as they did in Sarge's video. They did and I can't believe for the life of me Ford would put such a totally useless shock on a supposed off road package. In any event, the swap out was well worth the money invested and I look forward to many miles of happy motoring.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Gotsmoke12
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SaddleTramp56
With the weather as cold as it's been and not being able to fit the new truck in the garage I bit the bullet and had the dealership install my new shocks and stabilizer yesterday when I took it in for the first oil change at 3200 miles. I have to say the most noticeable improvement was the front end. Definitely a Day and Night difference. I had the dealer save all the old parts because I wanted to see for myself if my Rancho's compressed like a sponge as they did in Sarge's video. They did and I can't believe for the life of me Ford would put such a totally useless shock on a supposed off road package. In any event, the swap out was well worth the money invested and I look forward to many miles of happy motoring.
The non-rancho version is garbage as well. I didn't know about this upgrade right away so I got about 35k miles or so on stockers, but when I did replace them 3 out of 4 shocks did not rebound at all(I'm talking 4 days) after I compressed them by hand. Loving the Bilsteins I've got about 80k on those now, wondering if it's about time to freshen 'em up again

Old 03-09-2015, 12:03 PM
SaddleTramp56
New User
Originally Posted by Gotsmoke12
The non-rancho version is garbage as well. I didn't know about this upgrade right away so I got about 35k miles or so on stockers, but when I did replace them 3 out of 4 shocks did not rebound at all(I'm talking 4 days) after I compressed them by hand. Loving the Bilsteins I've got about 80k on those now, wondering if it's about time to freshen 'em up again
If your truck isn't po going over bumps or bottoming out, diving sharply when you brake or experience a lot of lean in corners, chances are your shocks are still good. An old wives tale I once heard said to change your shocks every 40K miles. I think it's really up to the individual and what kind of ride they're looking for.
In my case I read so many bad things about the stock Rancho's in the FX4 package I just did it and boy I couldn't be happier.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:36 PM
CR3999!
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alright already, I've got twelve hundred miles on my new three fifty. Time for some new shocks. This is the roughest riding thing I have ever had. ( my first four wheel drive) hehehe

Where are you folks buying these shocks at, for the best price. Thanks

Thanks for the write up, it's an oldie but goodie. I think this tread stated in eleven.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:54 PM
34SF
Mountain Pass
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Proof

I've put HD Bilsteins on every truck I've owned. With my '16 F250 I got the Rancho package but it just didn't feel right. I chalked it up to moving from a Tundra to the 250 but after lurking on this and other threads said "what the hell" and bought a set of 5100s for Christmas.

Keep in mind that my truck has 1052 miles on it and is about three months old. The attached photos show the Rancho front shocks, one of which is obviously shot. To further clarify, the short shock in the pic had no return from full compression or full extension. The fact that the pair of shocks had extremely different compression and return properties clearly illustrates that this is not "normal" for a pair of shocks, regardless of what they are filled with. The rears still had some compression but nothing like the Bilsteins, in neither rate of compression, return, nor length of extension over time (eg: the length return over time.)

I did the job myself in my garage. It was easier to do the fronts after taking the wheels off but overall it it wasn't hard. Follow the instructions in the OP's video on retaining the original bushings. I had to buy a 20 and a 21 mm wrench to get the fronts off but otherwise a normal tool selection is fine.

My rears needed 22" of compression to install and the Bilsteins come with a 25" compression strap. I shortened the compression by putting some plastic spray can lids between the strap and the shock which made the install easier for this 55 year old geezer working in 28 degree weather. (Short version: if this weak *** old man can get it done, so can you.)

Ride is very obviously better both on and off road. My 250 now rides like it's supposed to. Price was $299 shipped. And yes, I'm pissed about the Ranchos at 1k miles; where does crap like this come from?

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100 Shock install with VIDEO!!!