got a bunch of questions on a 460 build

Old 10-16-2011, 07:47 PM
nwebbe1079
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got a bunch of questions on a 460 build

Hey yall,

Never did a whole rebuild by myself before, got started on it but i ended up short notice deploying... so right now im tryin to read alot and figure out what parts i gotta order. Luckily ive got some folk at home to help me out with it but i think i need some advice, so here goes. The truck is a 92 f350 460/e40d that i use mostly for trail riding and muddin. After tryin to change a thermistat i ended up having to pull the intake manifold to drill out a broke off bolt. The valley and inside of the manifold had about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of sludge built up in it so i decided to try my hand at rebuildin it the way i wanted (previous owner didnt take very good care of it). Anyway I decided to convert it over to a carb for ease of maintenance, and lack of electronics (I also have a zf5 waiting to go in so i dont need to worry about the computer) im not lookin to argue about carb vs efi thats just what i decited to do. Ive got the price intake adaptor and plan on runnin a holly 770 ta, also plan on usin an hei style dizzy and a fpr so i can keep the strock fuel pumps and dual tanks. got the heads done at a local machine shop already but i gotta wait till i get back to do the block. I wanna gt it bored out but i dont know how much. also ive got no idea of what kinda cam i should use for this application so any advice or suggestions are welcome (except to keep the efi)

Old 10-17-2011, 05:43 PM
FordMuddin'
Senior User
to go from EFI to carb you will need a dizzy with the vacuum secondary and a highly adjustable FPR and run a return line back to your tank. For bore you generally want to keep the oversize bore as low as you can, i wouldnt go more than .030 over if the bore is currently stock to keep your walls thick and the motor fresh for another rebuild if need be. If you take the block to a machine shop im sure they will figure it out for you. you really wont gain much performance from an oversize bore .060 over etc. where you will gain power is from a longer stroke. More importain than the bore is what CR ratio are you lookin at eachieving? i'm assuming your going to run pump gas so find the right dish piston to work with your heads.

For a cam i'd take a look at the duel pattern cams, the comp cam's generally make nice duel pattern cams. It depends if your looking for a lopey idle or just pure low end power. The 265DEH cam might be a good place to start. For finding the right cam the longer the intake dur the higher the power band will be for the camshaft. The tighter the LSA the lopier the idle will be and the less back pressure (can bleed off some compression if you run to high of a CR which will save the motor from detonation)

A 770 carb may even be a little bit too much for your truck in my oppinion but it should work (im assuming your plannin on a 770 because its the truck demon for offroading?)

I am just starting a similar build ( 89 speed density 351 windsor to a carb 351 windsor or maybe 393 stroker) this is also my first build so i hope to learn from your build too

Old 10-17-2011, 06:39 PM
nwebbe1079
Senior User
apprecite the info, sorry but your gonna be waitin awhile before i can really get a wrench on it again. all thge cams specs are what was really confusing me, but ya shed a lil light on it for me. Yep still plan on runnin pump gas, i wanna be able to drive it to work if i have too, but ill look into that 265DEH. As far as the dizzy goes i was lookin at this KMJ Performance :: IGNITION :: FORD :: FORD HEI Distributor H.O. Coil 351C 351M 400 429 460 lemme know what ya think. thanks again

Old 10-17-2011, 06:40 PM
nwebbe1079
Senior User
oh yea and a mallory 4309 for an fpr. read about some folks on here usin it for this exact same application

Old 10-17-2011, 07:08 PM
FordMuddin'
Senior User
yeah my build isn't really kicking off until after winter due to the cost of the build. That dizzy should be fine i would think since it does have the vacuum secondary. Since you are running pump gas i would try and keep the compression ration under 9:6:1 or somewhere in that range. This here has been very helpful in decided my build specs as far as CR goes, to find the deck clearance of the stock motor add half the stroke of the motor to the Comp height and the rod length and subtract the deck hieght (for my build i was just assuming a 0 deck height since i don't know if i will need the block decked or not and it will prepare me for the worst case scenario CR wise) : Expert Advice - Expert Advice - SummitRacing.com
What is the chamber size in the heads that you have?

One more thing for Cam selection that is good to know is the valve spring rating on your heads, how high of a lift can they handle?

I used summit alot for my build, there cam selection is very easy to use and you can chose between use of the vehicle to intake duration or LSA. I found it very usefull, just look through the hydraulic flat tappet camshafts, also useful is they give the general RPM range for each cam to help ya figure out what your getting if you don't know too much about what the dur @ .50, LSA, ETC. all means. I would just mess around with the options on here (Hydraulic flat tappet - 7.5L/460 - FORD - Camshaft and Lifter Kits - SummitRacing.com) mess with the vehicle usage category and intake Dur category, generally the lower the intake dur the lower the rpm range for the cam will be and the higher the intake dur the higher the rpm range will be for the camshaft. And you would most likely want to look for a duel grind camshaft aka a cam with a different intake and exhaust lift (also any cam grind number ending in DEH is a duel energy cam)

Old 10-17-2011, 07:29 PM
nwebbe1079
Senior User
sounds good. I'd have too look up the chamber size on the heads but there just stockers, nah i dont have the casting number but they are fuel injected head that a friend of mine helped me clean up the exhaust side a lil. I was planning around runnin 9 to 1 roughly... as you can see i still got alot of stuff to learn. but i'll be checkin out the cams on summit, thanks for the link.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:38 PM
FordMuddin'
Senior User
yeah no problem, i don't know what the stock 460 E7TE heads chambers are off hand
but im sure someone on here would. Good luck with your build i'm 16 so i still got a lot too, ill keep an eye on your build and see how your motor comes out.