Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on a retractable bed cover...

Old 10-16-2011, 06:35 PM
SlickYamaha
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your thoughts on a retractable bed cover...

Ok, I know there are a million threads on retractable bed covers. But there are SO many options. I am pretty picky, and know what I want, but have yet to find something that meets my needs 100%.

I am looking for something that. (in order of importance)
A: Waterproof (or as close as you can get)
B: Less than $1,000
C: Hard Cover, (Fold up, or roll up)
D: Able to be removed easily
E: Able to be opened without opening the tailgate. (not really that important, but nice)

Any suggestions?
I have been looking at
BakFlip
RollBak
Pace Edwards
Roll N Lock
Peragon
Protrax

Just so many choices! Anyone have any advice or suggestions on which is best? I dont need anything powered, its just not necessary, and costs more..

Old 10-16-2011, 08:09 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Have you looked at the write-ups on the newest Peragon covers? Right now they've got a heck of a deal going on them for FTE members.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SlickYamaha
I am looking for something that. (in order of importance)
A: Waterproof (or as close as you can get)
B: Less than $1,000
C: Hard Cover, (Fold up, or roll up)
D: Able to be removed easily
E: Able to be opened without opening the tailgate. (not really that important, but nice)

Any suggestions?
I have been looking at
BakFlip
RollBak
Pace Edwards
Roll N Lock
Peragon
Protrax
Glad to see Peragon made your short list!

A: None of the bed covers you've listed are waterproof - nor do they claim to be. The good news is, the small amount of water that does get in is easy to manage. If you're carrying sensitive cargo (electronics, tools), a few dollars worth of Rubbermaid-type totes will keep your gear organized, clean and perfectly dry. It's a small tradeoff for the flexibility that retractable / folding covers offer.

B: Check. Peragon does not use a multi-level distribution network - we ship directly to you. That allows us to offer a solid aluminum, retractable truck bed cover for hundreds less than comparable options. That direct connection with our customers also helps us provide stellar customer support.

C: Check. The Peragon cover is solid aluminum with a baked on powder coat finish. No vinyl, no plastic, no styrofoam core.

D: Check. Our retractable cover can be quick released without tools by one person in 30 seconds - no canister taking up valuable bed space.

E: Check. We leave the tailgate independent of the cover so either one can be operated without touching the other.

Here are links to recent reviews of our cover on this forum:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ck-covers.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tallation.html

Also, we're offering a $40 discount to FTE members through 11-27-11. Just provide your member name when you order. Click here for details. If I can answer any other questions about our product, please let me know!

Old 10-17-2011, 05:16 PM
SlickYamaha
Senior User
The only concern I have for the peragon is that I go camping alot, and we STUFF the bed, I can see it being extremely problematic trying to unload, not being able to open the cover up because of things that are packed underneath.
I will have to do some more research into peragon. They were my first choice, with that being one of the few drawbacks..

Old 10-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
The only concern I have for the peragon is that I go camping alot, and we STUFF the bed, I can see it being extremely problematic trying to unload, not being able to open the cover up because of things that are packed underneath.
I will have to do some more research into peragon. They were my first choice, with that being one of the few drawbacks..
The best bed cover for each situation comes down to weighing priorities. No bed cover is perfect for every use - although I'd like to think we get close!

We compete well against other retractable truck bed covers that roll up into a fixed canister. I had a 2004 F150 Lariat with the 5.5' bed and a 2007 Lincoln Mark LT with the 5.5' bed. On many family trips I loaded that extra short bed all the way from the front wall to the tailgate. Every time I did that, I was thankful I didn't have a canister consuming bed space when I needed every cubic inch. True, I couldn't open the cover with the bed fully loaded, but I'd rather have the space when I need it than be stuck working around a canister when loading suitcases, coolers and gear. With a little advance thought, I enjoyed full use of my bed. I simply put the items I needed easy access to by the tailgate. Items I knew I wouldn't need until we arrived at our destination were put toward the front.

I haven't used this personally, but here's a product you might be interested in: BEDSLIDE. It could make your camping gear scenario more convenient - no matter what kind of bed cover you decide on.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:15 AM
SlickYamaha
Senior User
So.... I was in the fire department when I was younger, I went through the police academy, but had complications. and now I work for the school system. Does any of that qualify me for the $25 and free seal? LOL

Old 10-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
So.... I was in the fire department when I was younger, I went through the police academy, but had complications. and now I work for the school system. Does any of that qualify me for the $25 and free seal? LOL
Since you're partially qualified, we'll give you part of the deal! Just mention this post when ordering. Then email us anything that establishes your previous status and we'll include the free tailgate seal!

Old 10-19-2011, 11:52 AM
SlickYamaha
Senior User
Is there anyone that has some experience on the "dryness" factor? I would have to say that is my #1 concern. I know that no cover is water "proof" but, for lack of a better term, how "un-waterproof" is this? Like I said, we do alot of camping trips/traveling, and all of our luggage, bags, sleeping bags, suitcases, etc get loaded in the bed. In my avalanche, I would rate the cover to be 99% water proof. Only leaking in the heaviest of rains, only leaving less than half a cup of water in the entire bed.
I have read thousands of reviews, and every persons is different. I have heard "just a trickle" to "damn close to water proof" as far as to say it "leaks like crazy", so it makes it really hard to judge...

Any chance of soaking down the truck with the cover closed and getting some intereior shots?

Old 10-19-2011, 03:40 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
OK...here's an outside and an inside shot...... it's been raining here all day...hard at times. Thanks for making me go out and take these...I found a leaking bottle of stinky diesel additive!! YUCK.... horrible smelling stuff.

and inside:

There is a little bit of water spray laying on the right side and I'm not gonna lay in there and see where it's coming from right now....too wet outside, but not too wet in the truck bed. I'd store a suitcase in there and not worry about it, but I wouldn't lay a suitcoat on the bed and drive to NY in the rain.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 PM
SlickYamaha
Senior User
Thanks for the pics! that doesnt look to horrible. I dont know how much rain you got there, but im about 20 min north of baltimore, and it was on and off all day. I could probably live with that kinda dampness..

That is the paragon right?

Old 10-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Quahaug
New User
Just installed the Retrax Pro bed cover and it is great. Cost is a little over the $1000 but there is a 15% off retail price on AutoAnything.com.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:44 AM
SlickYamaha
Senior User
I like that too, but I think a grand would break the bank at this point. I have so many other things I want to add as well..

Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Thanks for the pics! that doesnt look to horrible. I dont know how much rain you got there, but im about 20 min north of baltimore, and it was on and off all day. I could probably live with that kinda dampness..

That is the paragon right?

Sorry I didn't get back sooner...had the RV out camping.

Yes, that IS the Peragon !

Old 11-23-2011, 10:53 AM
BMWBig6
Senior User
Originally Posted by Peragon
True, I couldn't open the cover with the bed fully loaded
This is my concern too. Exactly how much "headroom" is needed directly below the cover, to accommodate opening and closing with the bed floor fully loaded? Are we talking about 6" worth (or whatever the length of each segment is)?

Old 11-23-2011, 11:44 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

As the first segment is actually angled as it folds in, it is LESS than the width of the segment. I haven't measured it, but I've been towing with a Peragon cover for over 5 years now.

The only problem I ever had was a hunk of firewood I was carrying got jammed under the passenger side once. Had to have some pull the cover towards the open position ( to remove the tension from the gas strut) while I kneeled down and removed it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Your thoughts on a retractable bed cover...