Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on a retractable bed cover...

Old 11-25-2011, 02:33 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look at the brand new Extang Encore, it's a pretty neat cover.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:54 PM
dilas
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Peragon
D: Check. Our retractable cover can be quick released without tools by one person in 30 seconds - no canister taking up valuable bed space.
I'm likely to get the fiberglass cap down the road, a year from now probably (testing to see if I can live without it for a while). Knowing that those shell is quite useful as I've always owned it on my all trucks over the years, especially having dogs with us. The foldable/retractable cover didn't hit till couple years back. Wondering if this Perganon cover is easily released then swap with fiberglass cap when situation arises then remove the cap off and put the cover back in with ease? Looks like this Extang solid fold would accomplish this better than most or any. Wanted to give Peragon chance to reply before I pull the trigger.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dilas
Wondering if this Peragon cover is easily released then swap with fiberglass cap when situation arises then remove the cap off and put the cover back in with ease?
The retractable panels that make up a Peragon truck bed cover can be quick-released and reinstalled easily by one person in less than 30 seconds. This feature is an advantage for those situations where you want to haul something like a four-wheeler or motorcycle and need every bit of your bed length. However, the extruded aluminum guide rails that our cover slides in remain along the edge of the truck bed. They aren't in the way for most situations, but if you want to install a fiberglass cap, our rails would need to be removed. Removing and reinstalling our rails isn't difficult at all, but it will take some time. The rails lift off the truck by simply removing four (or six on a long bed) nylock nuts. This is a 5 to 10 minute task. If you make a note of the spacing when removing the rails, reinstallation is faster and will take 20 to 30 minutes. If you're repeating this process weekly, it would be a hassle. If you're doing it a few times per year, it would be pretty painless.

If I can answer any other questions, please let me know. I'd love to have your order, but only if our cover will be a good fit for your needs.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:28 PM
dilas
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for your reply..... likely it'll be few times a year (4-6 times a year (prolly using the cap during hunting and camping season), I might not end up buying the fiberglass cap after all. hmmm....

Old 11-26-2011, 10:16 PM
jmiley
Senior User
Originally Posted by SlickYamaha
Ok, I know there are a million threads on retractable bed covers. But there are SO many options. I am pretty picky, and know what I want, but have yet to find something that meets my needs 100%.

I am looking for something that. (in order of importance)
A: Waterproof (or as close as you can get)
B: Less than $1,000
C: Hard Cover, (Fold up, or roll up)
D: Able to be removed easily
E: Able to be opened without opening the tailgate. (not really that important, but nice)

Any suggestions?
I have been looking at
BakFlip
RollBak
Pace Edwards
Roll N Lock
Peragon
Protrax

Just so many choices! Anyone have any advice or suggestions on which is best? I dont need anything powered, its just not necessary, and costs more..
I am getting an extang, it is a trifold and the way it mounts on top of the bed rails it looks like it will be the most weatherproof.

It can be removed and reinstalled in 10 minutes.

It takes up no room in the bed.

My father had one on hos truck and he forgot more about trucks and accessories like this than most people know.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:15 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Ok, I know there are a million threads on retractable bed covers. But there are SO many options. I am pretty picky, and know what I want, but have yet to find something that meets my needs 100%.

I am looking for something that. (in order of importance)
A: Waterproof (or as close as you can get)
B: Less than $1,000
C: Hard Cover, (Fold up, or roll up)
D: Able to be removed easily
E: Able to be opened without opening the tailgate. (not really that important, but nice)

Any suggestions?
I have been looking at
BakFlip
RollBak
Pace Edwards
Roll N Lock
Peragon
Protrax

Just so many choices! Anyone have any advice or suggestions on which is best? I dont need anything powered, its just not necessary, and costs more..
Another vote for Peragon here. Check out my pics: I was never a person that wanted my bed covered in any way what so ever. The Peragon gives me the flexibility and utilitarian use that an SUV with a trailer has. Good luck on your choice, I'm sure it will be the right one no matter which cover you chose.

Attached Images      
Old 11-23-2013, 08:53 AM
bironacad
Freshman User
The only concern I have for the peragon is that I go camping alot, and we STUFF the bed, I can see it being extremely problematic trying to unload, not being able to open the cover up because of things that are packed underneath.
I will have to do some more research into peragon. They were my first choice, with that being one of the few drawbacks..
Excellent point I was almost ready to jump on it, thanks.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:03 AM
bironacad
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jmiley
I am getting an extang, it is a trifold and the way it mounts on top of the bed rails it looks like it will be the most weatherproof.

It can be removed and reinstalled in 10 minutes.

It takes up no room in the bed.

My father had one on hos truck and he forgot more about trucks and accessories like this than most people know.
When up I would not be able to see my fiver hitch I believe the OP was looking for a retractable.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:08 AM
bironacad
Freshman User
How is the Paragon in the snow? Canada eh.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:42 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by bironacad
I suspect it's very good as it's built in Minnesota

Old 11-23-2013, 12:35 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the Peragon imo was the best quality unfortunately, with it folding inside of the box I went with back flip F1 it seems pretty decent quality,& very versatile.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bironacad
Originally Posted by tseekins
I suspect it's very good as it's built in Minnesota
Thanks, Tim! Exactly - we live, play and work in some fairly severe winter conditions here in the northland and our cover is designed to operate well through it all. It is rare that we have enough snow or ice to cause me any trouble operating my cover. A once over with a snow brush and the cover opens fine. Rubber bumpers keep 1/4" of space between the folded panels so some ice or snow left on the panels doesn't interfere with operation.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:08 AM
bironacad
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Peragon
Thanks, Tim! Exactly - we live, play and work in some fairly severe winter conditions here in the northland and our cover is designed to operate well through it all. It is rare that we have enough snow or ice to cause me any trouble operating my cover. A once over with a snow brush and the cover opens fine. Rubber bumpers keep 1/4" of space between the folded panels so some ice or snow left on the panels doesn't interfere with operation.
Looking good then

Old 12-24-2013, 10:05 AM
kmentch
New User
Anybody ever compare a Retraxpro to the Peragon?