6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

New 2011 6.7 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 08:23 PM
fbjford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2011 6.7 diesel

Does any one out there have a new 6.7 ford diesel? If so - how is it doing? Heard that it is doing very good - fuel mileage and power.
I have a 2009 F-250 V-10 4X4 - like it very much except for fuel mileage.
Thinking about putting a chip in - something like BullyDog.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:40 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

I've moved your thread to the 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel forum. This is where you'll find the vast majority of 6.7 owners.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:36 AM
brandon4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 282 Likes on 131 Posts
You'd love one. Way overpriced but very nice I'm on my 2nd 6.7. 35k on the first, 10k on this one. Very smooth running especially towing 18k lbs.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:42 AM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Almost 20k miles, virtually no problems. Took a 20' enclosed trailer down south 1 1/2 hrs yesterday am and back again last night. 8,000 # winds gusting to 40 mph and she pulled it effortlessly. I pulled onto the hwy faster then the cars behind me. On the hwy @ 70mph when the wind blew, she just straightened right out w/o any input from me. I thought about turning off the trailer sway feature, but then...Nawwww why risk it. Greatest truck ever, trade your 250 in on one of these. Better to get a lariat, has the most features

Old 10-16-2011, 09:12 AM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon4
You'd love one. Way overpriced but very nice I'm on my 2nd 6.7. 35k on the first, 10k on this one. Very smooth running especially towing 18k lbs.
What happened to the first one?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:19 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fbjford
Does any one out there have a new 6.7 ford diesel? If so - how is it doing? Heard that it is doing very good - fuel mileage and power.
I have a 2009 F-250 V-10 4X4 - like it very much except for fuel mileage.
Thinking about putting a chip in - something like BullyDog.
You are thinking about putting a BullyDog on the 6.7 if you get it? I wouldn't even think about putting BullyDog anything on a DPF equipped vehicle even if they paid me to do it. Any tuning on this engine other than a pressure box is going to cause problems with the DPF unless you do a total DPF delete with H&S or Spartan tuning.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:41 AM
fbjford
New User
Not on a 6.7 - I was refering to my v-10 gas f-250- on a 6.7 I don't think you would need any kind of chip.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:30 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a former endorser of the 6.7 Ford diesel, I speak from experience. There is a serious issue with warranty coverage on the fuel system on the 6.7. The design of the pump evidently does not match up with the lesser quality fuel that is available in the USA. If the High Pressure Fuel Pump fails, as mine did at 34000 miles, Ford will do anything necessary to blame the failure on the owner and deny warranty. Been there done that...have the $9200 repair bill to prove it.

Here is the story:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...an-update.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-loser-is.html

I would keep the V10

Regards

Old 10-16-2011, 10:46 AM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Buy the 6.7. You will LOVE it...30,000 trouble free miles here.

Just go drive one.

Then post pics when you get her!!

Shane

Old 10-16-2011, 11:12 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I don't understand why so much money

I'm curious and don't understand the reasons why & how a fuel pump can cost almost $10k to replace?

Ya know, it's reading stories like this that scare me away from ever going near a modern-computer-controlled diesel engine no matter the manufacturer.

BTW I don't know squat about diesels.

In any event, would you be able to explain how this can cost so much? I truly don't understand.....

Old 10-16-2011, 11:19 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shane and I are good friends...I use to preach the same sermon...I talked my daughter into buying a 6.7 and drove it 1500 miles home from Texas...Read my story. All the facts are there. Is your chance of having Ford abandon you with a denied $9200 warranty claim small? Maybe...but do you feel lucky today.

I have had to search my soul over this change of position on the Ford 6.7 truck. In the 15 months I have owned the truck, I have thank you emails and phone calls from over 25 owners who bought these trucks after personal conversations and private emails with me. I am unable to make such recommendations at this point. Ford has abandoned the very principles that their founder, Henry Ford, espoused. He knew that customer satisfaction and good customer service were the keys to success. This attitude does not exist at Ford today. If you buy one of these trucks, be aware that if you are one of the unlucky ones, you will be treated with the same lack of respect. This is unacceptable to me...I would think many others would agree.

Regards

Old 10-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I'm curious and don't understand the reasons why & how a fuel pump can cost almost $10k to replace?

Ya know, it's reading stories like this that scare me away from ever going near a modern-computer-controlled diesel engine no matter the manufacturer.

BTW I don't know squat about diesels.

In any event, would you be able to explain how this can cost so much? I truly don't understand.....
Hi Chris,

I explained more about this HERE. The problem is that when the pump fails it sends metal through the entire systems and into the injectors. At 29,000 PSI. The correct repair is to replace everything from the HPFP to the injectors. And these aren't cheap components.

Originally Posted by rickatic
As a former endorser of the 6.7 Ford diesel, I speak from experience. There is a serious issue with warranty coverage on the fuel system on the 6.7. The design of the pump evidently does not match up with the lesser quality fuel that is available in the USA. If the High Pressure Fuel Pump fails, as mine did at 34000 miles, Ford will do anything necessary to blame the failure on the owner and deny warranty. Been there done that...have the $9200 repair bill to prove it.

Here is the story:

I would keep the V10

Regards
Rick, you know I sympathize with your situation, but yours has been far from typical. I've heard of recent HPFP failures covered under warranty without any trouble. Your situation is far from normal and is likely a result of the first dealer. While I can't condone what was done to you in your situation, it's far from the norm.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:42 AM
ctubutis
There is also the fact that each story has got two sides, and we've only heard one so far.

Not trying to be combative and I feel for Rick. But, I would also want to know what the other side(s) have to say.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:06 PM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by rickatic

Here is the story:

I would keep the V10

Regards
Hey, Rick,

Ya know, I think everyone here feels for you and feels it's not fair what happened.

Despite that, it's really not at all a good idea to go around saying, "This is the situation and they will react in this manner," that's the kind of thing that can get you in trouble.

It's fine to be saying, "This is what happened to me" and then tell us your experiences.

But, to be claiming, predicting, implying or even insinuating that others *will be* treated the same can eventually get you into trouble.

Just something to think about.

Ya know what I think you oughta look at doing?

In Denver, every TV news station has some sort of consumer advocacy section, e.g. Blow the Whistle | Investigative | Colorado's Online News Leader | Denver | 9NEWS.com

If I were you, I'd be inclined to get in touch with all the local media in my area and see if they're interested in investigating your story and making the public be aware.

JMO.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:10 PM
cirrus365
Elder User
Originally Posted by fbjford
I have had my 11 f250 6.7 for 14 months and love it! Empty on the highway running 65 I get close to 20 mpg. Around town and stop and go it drops fast. Towing my 10k trailer its around 12 or so.

For what its worth, I haven't had any issues with my truck.

Quick Reply: New 2011 6.7 diesel