I thought I should just start a rebuild thread and add to it as stuff gets done, instead of starting a new thread for each part. I'll just post links to the other threads to start and then post new things on this thread.
It started with just a steering column repair and then of course snowballed (I couldn't leave well enough alone). Now it's a new trans/engine, new wiring, rebuilding the steering, rebuild 9" center (2.47) to replace the 3.00 I have now, rebuild dash gauges, rebuild shifter, redo the stereo/speakers/interior lights in there now, new air deflectors, repair bumpers, replace and modify gravel pan to fit new trans cooler set up, repaint grill.........plus more as I find it .
Finished painting the air deflectors today and the frame stubs on friday night. Put the gravel pan on saturday and primed the deflectors. Now next week/weekend is sanding the grill, painting the grill and turn signal bezels. I have to touch up the under side of the fender overhang above the grill, bad prep work (macco painted it I think the p/o said) and the light paint came off with the tape (you can see the black in the picture). Then back to the wiring and motor install finishing.
The shifter as it turns out is from a mustang II or a mid 70's granada. If I used a mustang shifter with the bent arm I couldn't get 2nd or low. I took off the woodgrain sticker, painted the insert black, found an NOS shifter handle on Ebay (black handle), polished the plastic and replaced the bushings. They also used the stock shifter rod, put in a few Z bends because it was too long, so I sectioned the rod to fit.
Here's before and after:
More set backs......my computer is feuding with the internet connection now. So weekends are the truck (when it's not raining) and week nights are trying to get back online. I have more pics and will post them............
painted the fenders above the grille, the tape pulled some more paint off the hood latch panel.......I hate crappy body shops that don't sand before they paint .
also had the lower hose made (I need to get a lathe and TIG......and learn how to TIG weld ), so now I have plenty of room for the belt.
I also cleaned up the cal custom air filter and started to paint my '54 tab. Next is a car rebuild, which I need to find a bushing kit for the shaft and install the fan clutch and blade when they come in. Then headers, make some down pipes and fire it up!!!!.
Hard to paint when I get home from work, not enough daytime for the paint to even start to dry (painting outside). Making the park light housing/bezels fit better now, then have to paint those. Having to work on other things on the weekends, but I did get the license plate tab painted, sanded numbers and now need to sand the rest and clear coat.
Had another plumbing problem....which I hope is the last. I have the grille together and the lights in, still sorting out the turn signal bezels vs the grille adjustment but the bezels are painted. Still working on the carb rebuild and the interior wiring. I made a coil bracket, spark plug wire holders, carb return spring bracket and ran the spark plug wires. The headers are on, I ordered a tall K&N filter for CHEAP from amazon, the regular K&N filters ranged from $50 to $80 and I bought the 6" high one for a 14" air cleaner for $29!!!. Here's a picture to keep the thread going...........more to come.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.