Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Elder User

1oldtimer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman75 View Post
Nice panel! You are doing some sweet work there.

But who de-fanged it?
I think the PO had it done, I was thinking of putting it back but thought I wasn't going to go this deep into it . I should have some more pictures this weekend, finished the carb and the headlight wiring. I'm using a rochester quadrajet because they're great carbs and great for gas mileage. I need to make some down pipes just to start it and hook up the fuel lines.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Junior User

Jim 54 panel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks great --

Hope mine goes as well. Keep trucking.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Elder User

Updates:
Made some spark plug wire holders, spark plug wires, throttle linkage and put the air filter in. No one has mixed universal spark plug wire sets other then 90 and straight. I needed 135 and straight so I made 2 sets I had into 1, you really should be able to "make" your own set since the wire companies have all the pieces. The only thing they offer is some type of universal bend sets, but they're kinda pricey.

Click the image to open in full size.

I didn't like the way the pcv line was laying over the valve cover, since I made the spark plug wires go in front of the covers the pcv had to be re routed. I made a hard line for it and a bracket, I think it looks cleaner now. I still need to make a bracket for the choke cable to work the choke on the rochester.

Here's the grille, I have to finish the turn signals. No one makes a double filament bulb with the pins straight across in amber. I'm going to order the socket from mid fifty so I can run a 1157A like the other side. Also I need a new V8 emblem.

I made some down pipes, hopefully friday it will go to the muffler shop. Also The stock fuel line is 5/16 and the new fuel pump is a 3/8 nipple, so I bent up a new 3/8 line and the glass filter will have a 5/16 end and a 3/8 end . I bought the pump from summit last year and didn't notice it, now I buy almost everything from my local parts store (not a chain). He is a car guy, has some illustrated catalogs, I can return stuff no problem, I can call up and order parts with no pre pay and I get a discount for shopping there so much (I get parts for moms cars, old customers and girlfriend too).
Old 01-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Postmaster

fordman75 has a very good reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a very good reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I love the FE! And it looks so clean with the way you have everything routed. Great work!!

1954 F100 4x4, 300, NP435/NP205
Old 01-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Elder User

Fired it up on sunday, found a coolant leak at the timing cover, found that even "good" fittings are still poorly made (fuel leak) and my shift linkage is off.....but it ran. I'll post some videos when I get it more dialed in, plus some shifter mods.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:19 AM
Elder User

Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.
I like the work you've done! I like your attention to detail, all the little things that make an engine bay neat, clean and tidy. Lookin good! Gonna be watching this one.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:50 AM
Elder User

Since I don't have any new pics yet, I have pics of some other things I've done.

Trans cooler lines:

Trans coolers:

Brake lines:
I found some brake line shield and used it with the lines I bent up. Also had to clear the Toyota box and the engine crossmember.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:58 AM
Elder User

Also If you noticed that the water neck has a sending unit too, I'm running 2 temp gauges. I have the upgraded stock looking gauges from mid fifty but the mid point for the temp gauge is lower then the 390 runs, so I'm running an old stewart warner electric temp gauge under the dash. Since the C6 likes to run hot also I'm running a trans temp gauge under the dash too. I have a 60's 3 gauge bracket under the dash and the third gauge is a WWII bomber steering wheel clock, so I can have a clock and it's a 7 day winder .
Old 01-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Elder User

Fixed the shifter problem,
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - C6 question...turns out I was in low. With it in park the shifter couldn't push it up to get out of park because the shifter arm is higher the the trans arm.I made a small bracket to get better leverage that bolted to the existing holes on the trans arm. I found 2 grommets and used a piece of 3/8" hard line as a sleeve.

Re-bent and shortened the shifter rod....again. Now I have the correct pattern, it shifts smooth and even matches the indicator on the shifter .

Found ANOTHER water leak and it's not showing oil pressure on my gauge. I have to check the pressure with my test tool but it's at work, I'm hoping it's the sending unit or gauge since I don't hear the lifters or any noise.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Elder User

Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.
Hey that should do the trick! Should have to worry about that getting sloppy or worn out anytime soon. I like how you made that adjustable on the shifter's end too. That's pretty slick.

You're probably right on the oil pressure, otherwise that FE would be pretty noisy. I've got a crazy weeping soft plug (naturally the one DIRECTLY under the engine mount. Sometimes it weeps, and sometimes not. Last couple times I've ran it, it hasn't leaked any.. debating if I sould go through the mess of replacing it or see if it just seals itself up. My luck. I'd blow the softplug out while on the freeway.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Elder User

Well, I got almost all of the leaks taken care of (I think I might have a vacuum leak still) and it runs good. Now to finish the wiring inside and take it to the muffler shop to get the head pipes changed. Drove it down the street, still lots to do..............

Old 02-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
Ooooooooohhhhhhh, sounds good!!
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Elder User

Sounds pretty good! Can't wait to hear it with the muffs and headers all hooked up! What mufflers are you running by the way? I've got a pair of Flow Tech Afterburners laying around here... thinkin i may use them. Thay are a fully welded muffler, like a Flowmaster.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:33 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano78 View Post
Sounds pretty good! Can't wait to hear it with the muffs and headers all hooked up! What mufflers are you running by the way? I've got a pair of Flow Tech Afterburners laying around here... thinkin i may use them. Thay are a fully welded muffler, like a Flowmaster.
I'm just a good old glass pack guy, all the cars have them . I do have a set of turbo tubes waiting on something...........
Old 02-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Elder User

mufflers hooked back up, lower gauges working and if the adapter set-up on the quadrajet is leaking then I have an old 500cfm afb to put on. I have a 60's 3 gauge bracket under the dash and I'm running a B&M trans temp gauge, an old Stewart Warner electric temp gauge and a WW2 bomber 7 day clock ......i don't wear a watch and don't have a cell phone, so I have to have something for the time.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:21 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
304, 54, 54panel, bronco, e250, fender, filter, ford, grill, ih, kn, nos, panel, part, sale, van