1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Vacuum Leak - Under the Dash?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 AM
ctubutis
Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
If he doesn't have AC, the HVAC controls are cable-activated and there are no vacuum lines whatsoever inside the cab.

In which case I'd be suspecting a brake booster.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Thank you, 1986F150six. I will try that!

Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
Under the dash... others can provide diagrams, but I will go from memory. There are flaps [doors] controlling the various routes of air flow for the HVAC system. On the right hand side, behind and above the glove compartment, is a door which controls whether the air source is outside or recirculate. From there, the air goes either to the heater core or bypass. This door can be seen when you replace the heater core. It is to the left of the core, as the air flow progresses from right to left. Then, there is a door which now directs either cool or heated air [depending on whether the air has been directed through the heater core] to the dash vents. Finally, there is a door which allows the air to be directed to the floor or defroster.

The doors are controlled by the HVAC control valve, which is behind the dash on the other end of the selector slides. It simply aligns vacuum ports and sends signals to the servo motors. The valve is plastic and can crack due to age. As of 4 years ago, the part was still available through Ford. Before replacing it, though, check the vacuum lines.

After removing the glove compartment and radio, everything can pretty well be seen. I remember the servo motors all having one line except for the one up near where the factory AM only dash speaker would be. That one has 2 ports, since I believe it is the one which allows for defrost/heat mix.

I hope this helps and that my memory is close to being correct.

P.S. The truck I worked on had factory air.

P.P.S. Before going further, why not cap off the vacuum line which passes through the firewall above the glove compartment? Normally, this is supplied by the black coffee can or plastic sphere vacuum reservoir. By doing this, the possible leak under the dash would be completely bypassed and then you can see if the idle situation clears up, before digging into the dash.
Agree fully with the pps - a logical test process needs to be done, and the first step should be to pull and plug the vacuum line that goes to the cab.

If that eliminates the vacuum leak sound and the change in idle then go looking for the leak by following the vacuum line. As said before, the first connection you'll find is where the line goes through the heater box - at least it is on A/C trucks and I think it is on others.

From there the vacuum goes to the HVAC controls. You can pull and plug the connections along the way, and as 1986F150six says you can see them with the glove box and radio out. From the controls, which certainly can leak as I said before, the vacuum fans out to the various "motors". You can test them, assuming the tests to that point haven't turned up the leak, by moving the controls to the various positions and listening for the leak and watching for movement.

Edit: I didn't realize there aren't vacuum controls for the non-A/C units. Disregard my post.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I was operating under the assumption [you know where that gets us!] that based on LARIAT 85's signature, that he has a Lariat, which most likely originally had A/C, which has since been removed.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I wish I had such well-grounded "reasons". My excuse is that I'm old, and I'm sticking to it - more and more as time goes on.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:25 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
With age comes wisdom! And anyway, I don't worry about "old age"... it doesn't last long!

Old 10-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
If he doesn't have AC, the HVAC controls are cable-activated and there are no vacuum lines whatsoever inside the cab.

In which case I'd be suspecting a brake booster.
Unless it has cruise....

L85, was your truck factory A/C or not? As ct pointed out, non-a/c heater/vent systems are totally cable controlled and do not use a lick of vacuum.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:21 AM
ctubutis
Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
Unless it has cruise....
Very true! Forgot about that, thanks.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:40 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
L85, was your truck factory A/C or not? As ct pointed out, non-a/c heater/vent systems are totally cable controlled and do not use a lick of vacuum.
My truck is indeed a Lariat model, and the truck does have factory A/C and cruise. The entire A/C system has been removed as of three years ago. I should have made that more clear.

I think I may have found something...
I put my hand over the carburetor as the engine was running and it did not stall. So I guess that means there is a vacuum leak somewhere. I went messing around, and discovered a "hissing" sound coming from around the PCV valve. I pulled the PCV valve off the valve cover and the idle did not change much at all. I would have thought this would be a MAJOR vacuum leak? I shook the PCV valve and it rattles, and there is a rather strong suction on my finger. But, I can turn it around in the grommet and the "hissing" sound changes. And sometimes when I remove the PCV valve, I hear a LOUD "sucking" sound coming from the valve itself, and at other times there is no sound at all. In both cases, the PCV valve still has strong suction on my finger.

Does that mean anything?

Old 10-18-2011, 05:56 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The PCV is ALWAYS a vacuum leak.
Not an issue there...

The fact that it flows both ways is a problem however.
Cheap enough to replace.

Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
And sometimes when I remove the PCV valve, I hear a LOUD "sucking" sound coming from the valve itself,
Do you mean to say that there is suction coming from the valve cover?

If you can't find an external leak with propane or starting fluid you might have an internal leak between the lifter valley and an intake port.
Are any one of your plugs unusually oily?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
The PCV is ALWAYS a vacuum leak.
Not an issue there...
Right. What I am saying is, being that it is a vacuum leak, shouldn't I have noticed a BIG idle change when I removed the PCV valve from the valve cover? I did not notice much of any idle change when I removed the PCV valve from my engine.

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Do you mean to say that there is suction coming from the valve cover?
No. When I remove the PCV valve and put the end of the valve on my finger, there is a pretty good suction. And that is good. But sometimes, when I pull the PCV valve out, the valve itself has a pretty loud "hissing" or suction noise coming from it, and other times it doesn't make any noise at all.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
Right. What I am saying is, being that it is a vacuum leak, shouldn't I have noticed a BIG idle change when I removed the PCV valve from the valve cover? I did not notice much of any idle change when I removed the PCV valve from my engine.

No. When I remove the PCV valve and put the end of the valve on my finger, there is a pretty good suction. And that is good. But sometimes, when I pull the PCV valve out, the valve itself has a pretty loud "hissing" or suction noise coming from it, and other times it doesn't make any noise at all.
Just because the PCV valve is plugged into the valve cover doesn't mean it isn't pulling air through. There's as much air coming in then as when you pull it out of the valve cover, so the idle won't change.

When you pull the valve out do you always hold it in the same plane? IOW, is it always vertical or horizontal? If not that probably explains why it hisses some times and doesn't others as the element in the valve can close if you turn it sideways.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:31 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
I was operating under the assumption [you know where that gets us!] that based on LARIAT 85's signature, that he has a Lariat, which most likely originally had A/C, which has since been removed.
A/C was optional on all trim levels, although most Lariats did have A/C, it's wrong to assume all did. Even AM only Radios were optional untill the 1985 year, so a Lariat could come without a radio too.

As for the PCV valve, I'd replace it, and the grommet it pushes into.