Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having some more issues with my cluster...Or lack thereof...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 07:53 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Having some more issues with my cluster...Or lack thereof...

Ok guys...Here's the update....

I have a 1993 Cluster, and is got a power surge the other day (My fault....Was tinkerking with making a low fuel light)...And now, the lights work, etc....But the Fuel/Amp hands won't work for anything....

I also have a 1994 cluster thats in great condition...
But there's a catch....Besides the PITA of repinning everything...not so bad, with having both sets of cluster pinouts...Still a hassle...

I've noticed that the 1993 cluster has 3 fuel gauge wires....2-Yellow/white ones, and a Grey/Orange fuel rest wire (I have no idea what it technically does...)

And the 1994 cluster only has the 2-Yellow/white wires.....

basically, I need a tad of help to get everything working again...

Here;s some diagrams for references...
The 1992-93 Cluster Pinouts

The 1994-1995 pinout

Old 10-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I have to offer to this is a match. LMK when you need it.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
From what I see on the schematics I have, the "Fuel reset indicator" goes to the inertia switch. Its function is to light up a Fuel Reset lamp in cluster. When the inertia switch is opened the lamp would ground out through the fuel pumps causing the lamp to light up. Power to that lamp comes from the connector A13(red-yel) to fuse #17. That also feeds power to most all of the lamps and gauges. I seen the burnt up traces on the other post, still possable some hidden dammage still there.

When I did my E350 Bus, I just put the fuel sender wire in the correct location for the tach cluster. Here's some reading to help you out. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...tory-tach.html

Old 10-14-2011, 09:37 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Bankrupter-I already have had that thought pass through my mind...

Eddie-I've checked the fuses....They're all good...so its all the cluster's now...

BTW...On the grey cluster plug...Mine has 2 R/Y wires listed for the #13, 14 slots.....I noticed yours only has 1 in the #13 slot.....

Old 10-15-2011, 11:43 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Nobody? REALLY?

Seems my issue between the 2, is some things just aren't the same....

Old 10-15-2011, 12:03 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Just traced some circuits on the 1994 cluster...And am honestly suprised....

The 1994-95 clusters are SUPPOSED to be the same, YET....the 1995 wiring pinout doesn't reflect the 1994 cluster circuits....UGH...

Old 10-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
Nobody? REALLY?

Seems my issue between the 2, is some things just aren't the same....
Since my last post I have upgraded that match to a lighter. If you need it now, you will have to ship it back to me. As I dig into my truck, I don't want it too far away, at any given point. Impulse can be the most fun action of the day.... Got any stock interior parts left on that truck ? I like the column mod you did but I cant for the life of me understand why you are messing with this stuff. Aftermarket gauges are far superior then any dash panel. If you have the need to tinker I also understand that and carry on...

Old 10-15-2011, 12:20 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Bankrupter
Since my last post I have upgraded that match to a lighter. If you need it now, you will have to ship it back to me. As I dig into my truck, I don't want it too far away, at any given point. Impulse can be the most fun action of the day.... Got any stock interior parts left on that truck ? I like the column mod you did but I cant for the life of me understand why you are messing with this stuff. Aftermarket gauges are far superior then any dash panel. If you have the need to tinker I also understand that and carry on...
Hahahaa.....I have 3 lighters in the truck, and fuel to boot...

I'm trying to get all this crap back together, so that I'll have all my gauges working properly (I have a manual OP and voltmeter gauge..)...

And Frankly, I'm sick of driving it with the dash in 5 seperate pieces...UGH....

I had the 1993 cluster in, attempted the low fuel light mod (Would have proven useful to me...) And it seems to have fried the said cluster...

Luckily, I had the 1994 cluster spare from my 1994 truck I had, and had to scrap....I grabbed it...ANd am glad I did....

My issue seems to be in the fuel gauge....THe 1994-95 clusters have 2 slots....One for a non tahc cluster (Which I have, and one for a tach cluster (Which I obviously DON'T have).....In the 1992 cluster, it has the 2 wires also, but in the 1992 wiring harness, and the cluster...There's a Orange/Gray wire...The pinout classifies it as a "Fuel Rest"....What its purpose is, I have no clue....

I just need some help on what can be traded around, etc.....

Old 10-15-2011, 03:27 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Well...Repinned everything to the 1992-1993 cluster.....I'd REALLY like to use it...

And here's what works, and doesn't...

Works-
-Left and right turn signals
-Hazard flashers
-Amp light*
-Illumination lights

Doesn't work-
-Fuel, battery and temp gauges (All worked previously)
-High Beam lamp
-E-Brake Lamp
-Check Engine lamp*

*=They should pop up when the key is ON, and then go back off when I tirn the key to RUN....But they don't light up....

Also, I noticed this thing has 3 Red/Yellow wires...2 of which actually supply power in the RUN, or ON postions....The little battery light comes on, and goes back off as normal, yet the gauge doesn't even move....

Any ideas on this?

Old 10-15-2011, 04:04 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any reason you can't just get a used cluster for your year truck? Seems like that would be much easier.

I don't know the technical details, but I do know the clusters changed. I think it was 94 that they changed because the air bag light was added. I found this out when I got custom gauge faces for my 95. Turned out the faces I got were for 92/93 and the CEL and ABS lights swapped places. With the faces in, ABS was the CEL, and CEL was ABS.

Not that this helps your situation any, just though I would throw it out there.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:49 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by kd0axs
Any reason you can't just get a used cluster for your year truck? Seems like that would be much easier.

I don't know the technical details, but I do know the clusters changed. I think it was 94 that they changed because the air bag light was added. I found this out when I got custom gauge faces for my 95. Turned out the faces I got were for 92/93 and the CEL and ABS lights swapped places. With the faces in, ABS was the CEL, and CEL was ABS.

Not that this helps your situation any, just though I would throw it out there.
I did....Thats the issue...I got a 1993 cluster for it, and still owe for the danged thing....UGH

Old 10-15-2011, 06:10 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Some wire checking, etc later....The red/yellow power wires are NOT hot....With the key ON, or in RUN....THey aren't getting juice...

Again, all the fuses are GOOD...Checked the gauges seperately....They're good...

Old 10-15-2011, 07:08 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
Some wire checking, etc later....The red/yellow power wires are NOT hot....With the key ON, or in RUN....THey aren't getting juice...

Again, all the fuses are GOOD...Checked the gauges seperately....They're good...
In 80-86-land, there's a red/yellow-hash wire used to supply power to various engine control solenoids, but I don't have any 1990s electrical diagrams to even begin to look up any circuits here.

Kinda sounds to me, Wes, like maybe you let the smoke outta sumthin'........

Old 10-15-2011, 07:13 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by ctubutis
In 80-86-land, there's a red/yellow-hash wire used to supply power to various engine control solenoids, but I don't have any 1990s electrical diagrams to even begin to look up that circuit.

Kinda sounds to me, Wes, like maybe you let the smoke outta sumthin'........

Idek know man....Just is irritating as hell...

I'll have to delve into my sources, etc...See what I turn up...

Definantly will post up whats going on....Just so there's an end to this thread....I hate when ppl get the info they want...then NEVER return....

Old 10-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

For the 93 F-series cluster

Quick Reply: Having some more issues with my cluster...Or lack thereof...