Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Elder User

ROBBINthaHOOD has a great reputation on FTE.ROBBINthaHOOD has a great reputation on FTE.ROBBINthaHOOD has a great reputation on FTE.ROBBINthaHOOD has a great reputation on FTE.ROBBINthaHOOD has a great reputation on FTE.
MARK HODGES r0bbinthah00d
High idle mod without upfitters?

I have a 2005 6.0 and want to do the high idle mod but don't have upfitters. I have a toggle switch but can't find a good write up that doesn't use upfitters. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
Just take the upfitter switch part of the equation out and replace it with any switch and a power source.

On earlier (like mine) models, there was a fused hot in run wire coming out of the wiring bundle that goes to the OBD-II port. Find that wire, run it through your switch and then into either the PTO or BCP wire, as you prefer.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 10-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Posting Guru

wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.
If you have found the wires then just connect them to the switch can be mounted anywhere.
2003, 250 XLT cc 4x4 sb 6.0 mods,scan gauge2, coolant filter, the blue spring,and hypertect max energy on stage 1 only,high idle mod,stock down pipe 4inch straight pipe ,no kitty ,welded egr cooler, new oil cooler and that bad **** 03 turbo whistle free mod DAVID
Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Senior User

05 f250 6 inch lift is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What is tje purpose of the hi idle mod. I mean. I know it idles the motor up, but what's the reason for doin it ??
05 F250 CC SWB MBRP 4" turbo back,no kitty,ARP Studs,BPD EGR cooler,IPR oil cooler,Blue spring,All other motor upgrades done,6" Fabtech lift,18x10 Pro Comp Xtreme rims,37x13.5x18 Pro Comp Xtreme tires,Alpine 7' touchscreen,4 10" Kicker subs,1000 watt Hifonics amp
Old 10-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Postmaster

zhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by htcman74 View Post
I have a 2005 6.0 and want to do the high idle mod but don't have upfitters. I have a toggle switch but can't find a good write up that doesn't use upfitters. Thanks.
From a couple of threads down today:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...-idle-mod.html

And if you want to get really fancy:

Riffraff Diesel: Riffraff Custom Auto Dash Kit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 f250 6 inch lift View Post
What is tje purpose of the hi idle mod. I mean. I know it idles the motor up, but what's the reason for doin it ??
Wet stacking if you don't have a "high idle" mod on your truck. At idle the 6.0L can over-cool it's self...thus not all the fuel injected "burns off" (you need compression & heat to burn diesel). Thus the fuel will condense and work it's way past the piston rings and into the lube oil....diluting the oil and wreaking havoc with your lube oil system. Without having a high-idle mod your going to have to think about hold your foot on the throttle/go-pedal to keep the RPM around 1200 to keep the all the fuel burning.
2004 F250 6.0L 2WD CC "Pavement Princess"
2007 Monaco Starwood SL 31BHD
2012 Focus SEL (Wife's ride)
Old 10-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Posting Guru

wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.
05F2506" its to keep the motor from wet stacking , at slow idle it doesn't have complete combustion so the unburnt fuel will run down cylinder walls in to oil . High idle complete combustion.
2003, 250 XLT cc 4x4 sb 6.0 mods,scan gauge2, coolant filter, the blue spring,and hypertect max energy on stage 1 only,high idle mod,stock down pipe 4inch straight pipe ,no kitty ,welded egr cooler, new oil cooler and that bad **** 03 turbo whistle free mod DAVID
Old 10-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 f250 6 inch lift View Post
It's original intent was for PTO operations. But you can use the high idle mod to help mitigate some of the issues of extended idle. A faster idle will help keep the heater hot, or the a/c cooler, when idling also. And it can maintain the battery charge better if you're using a winch or lots of lights or something.

On 03 and 04 models there is just the PTO wire, which idles the engine to 1200 RPM and locks the torque converter (on automatics). On 05 and up engines, there are more options. You can use the PTO wire that works like above, or the BCP (Battery Charge Protect) wire, which will idle up to 1200 RPM, then increase idle over that if the battery voltage drops. There is also an option to wire in a fixed or variable resistor to vary the high idle RPM from 1200 to 2400 RPM.

Oregon Chapter Member:
Old 10-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Senior User

05 f250 6 inch lift is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Zhilton. Thanks for that explanation. I never understood why high idle mod was needed but I do now. Adding it to my list of things to do to my truck.
05 F250 CC SWB MBRP 4" turbo back,no kitty,ARP Studs,BPD EGR cooler,IPR oil cooler,Blue spring,All other motor upgrades done,6" Fabtech lift,18x10 Pro Comp Xtreme rims,37x13.5x18 Pro Comp Xtreme tires,Alpine 7' touchscreen,4 10" Kicker subs,1000 watt Hifonics amp
Old 10-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Posting Guru

Piolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to behold
Don't know about other years, in my 2003 it is part of the programming for cold starts.
On a cold morning after a minute or so it'll idle high.
Due to recent budget cuts the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Post Fiend

All models will idle up some when the oil or coolant are below a preset value. But it only runs up to about 8-900 RPM and it'll idle down as soon as it warms up enough. The high idle mod forces it to 1200 RPM and it stays there.

Oregon Chapter Member:
Old 10-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Postmaster

zhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchamberlain View Post
All models will idle up some when the oil or coolant are below a preset value. But it only runs up to about 8-900 RPM and it'll idle down as soon as it warms up enough. The high idle mod forces it to 1200 RPM and it stays there.
Doesn't it take an ambient air temperature below 40F and oil/coolant below a set temperature before the PCM will idle it up?
2004 F250 6.0L 2WD CC "Pavement Princess"
2007 Monaco Starwood SL 31BHD
2012 Focus SEL (Wife's ride)
Old 10-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Senior User

bubba_78363 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have an 05 and all I did was lengthened the orange PTO wire ran it to ignition hot on fuse panel. This way as soon as I push the e-brake down it idles up to 1200rpm. Sucks when you try to use ebrake for other purposes, but I have have gotten use to not using it for much else than a switch itself. Works great
2005 SD CC FX4 with leveling kit, Scan-Gauge, Coolant Filter, T6 5W-40W, High Idle Mod, Blue Spring Installed. 4" MBRP Turbo-Back Straight-Piped, SCT, with EGT, Fuel and Coolant Pressure Gauges on the Pillar.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhilton View Post
Doesn't it take an ambient air temperature below 40F and oil/coolant below a set temperature before the PCM will idle it up?
This is what the 2004 Service Manual says. I don't know if it changed in later years.

Quote:
COLD IDLE KICKER

Cold idle kicker provides an increase in idle speed during cold engine warm up, of up to 1100 RPM (normally 725 RPM for manual, 650 RPM for auto), for a faster warm-up to operating temperature during extended idle conditions. This is accomplished by the PCM, which monitors the EOT sensor input and adjusts the RPM accordingly, to a maximum of 1100 RPM .

The idle speed is increased proportionately when the engine oil temperature is below 70°C (158°F) and the engine has been at idle for more than 2 minutes . Applying the brake pedal, clutch or accelerator pedal will deactivate the cold idle kicker and return the idle speed to 650 RPM .

Oregon Chapter Member:
Old 04-01-2014, 07:40 PM
New User

NotInTheFace is starting off with a positive reputation.
No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfman View Post
05F2506" its to keep the motor from wet stacking , at slow idle it doesn't have complete combustion so the unburnt fuel will run down cylinder walls in to oil . High idle complete combustion.
Hey guys, I'm no expert but I have been around diesels for a while now and worked on them in the Air Force. Wet stacking is not the above. Wet stacking is the incomplete combustion of fuel oil that makes it past the combustion chamber and into the exhaust manifold where it collects up in the "exhaust stacks" due to low engine combustion and exhaust temps. You can identify a "wet stacked" vehicle when cold starting results in a large plume of puffy white/blue smoke that looks like someone popped a smoke grenade. Since the cylinder pressure is higher in the combustion chamber during the compression stroke than in the engine oil chamber fuel could feasibly make it into the oil in a very worn engine. The opposite of this condition is called diesel run-away when an engine remains fueled by pulling oil from the engine oil chamber into the combustion chamber on the "suck" intake stroke past the worn out piston sleeves and rings and continues to accelerate despite having been de-fueled by the operator. The only way to stop this condition before engine failure is to starve the air intake from the engine compartment.

The wet stacking condition is possible due to the way Diesel engines open their "exhaust valves" at the bottom of their combustion stoke when the exhaust ports are opened by the piston traveling down past them at the very bottom of the stroke. The ports are at the bottom of the cylinder where unburnt fuel collects and drains down into the exhaust manifold and collects there. This can only happen when there is incomplete fuel combustion and the exhaust temperatures are too low to burn or evaporate the fuel off faster than it is collecting like a "puddle" in the lowest part of the exhaust system.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Posting Guru

Per4mance has a very good reputation on FTE.Per4mance has a very good reputation on FTE.Per4mance has a very good reputation on FTE.Per4mance has a very good reputation on FTE.
That young man is 100% correct!
1971 Corvette convertible 103,457 miles
1979 Corvette under Restoration 39,234 miles
Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2001, 2004, 60, 73, 900, diesel, ford, high, hign, idle, idler, kicker, kit, mod, rpm, sl, upfitter