6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

NON-OEM oil cap vs OEM

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:04 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Exclamation NON-OEM oil cap vs OEM

So now that I have two trucks to compare side by side I noticed something on the last oil change on both trucks.

One had a WIX oil cap on it, which is noticeably taller. Eyeballing it I would say 1/2" or so maybe?

Soon as I saw this I ordered an OEM online and got it installed today.

All I could think about was the filter not sitting tight inside and letting un-filtered oil bypass it as it wiggled up and down with the extra room inside the cap.

Does that sound like what would be happening inside with the incorrect cap on?

I say this because I had two injectors go not to far apart from each other on the truck with the WIX cap on it...dirty oil getting by the filter and into the injectors...and I know how the 6.0's like clean oil!!! Any correlation between the filter and injectors you think?

BTW, I already know to run all OEM oil/fuel filters and do nothing but!

So for the rambling ...just has been on my mind

Old 04-01-2014, 06:33 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford Fx4
So now that I have two trucks to compare side by side I noticed something on the last oil change on both trucks.

One had a WIX oil cap on it, which is noticeably taller. Eyeballing it I would say 1/2" or so maybe?

Soon as I saw this I ordered an OEM online and got it installed today.

All I could think about was the filter not sitting tight inside and letting un-filtered oil bypass it as it wiggled up and down with the extra room inside the cap.

Does that sound like what would be happening inside with the incorrect cap on?

I say this because I had two injectors go not to far apart from each other on the truck with the WIX cap on it...dirty oil getting by the filter and into the injectors...and I know how the 6.0's like clean oil!!! Any correlation between the filter and injectors you think?

BTW, I already know to run all OEM oil/fuel filters and do nothing but!

So for the rambling ...just has been on my mind
You are exactly correct sir.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:03 AM
allingeneral
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my 2006 three years ago and have changed oil religiously (Rotella T6), and ensured that I used Motorcraft fuel and oil filters every time. But last month when I was working on the oil cooler and egr cooler, I realized that my oil cap said NAPA Gold on top of it, and I was steamed. I immediately ordered an OEM cap and it has since been installed. No telling how much damage was caused to my injectors over the last three years (and however long the previous owner had driven it that way). This truck should *not* be this easy to break. </rant>

Old 04-01-2014, 09:27 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Any engine will fail if you use incorrect or out of spec parts. Why do you blame the 6.0 if the am's don't build their parts to the correct specs? Put Honda tires and wheels on your truck and then blame Ford because you had four blow outs.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:32 AM
allingeneral
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 69cj
Any engine will fail if you use incorrect or out of spec parts. Why do you blame the 6.0 if the am's don't build their parts to the correct specs? Put Honda tires and wheels on your truck and then blame Ford because you had four blow outs.
You make a good point, however, the 6.0 is the most finicky drivetrain that I've ever met when it comes to "must use OEM parts only".

Don't get me wrong - I love my truck. Just that I've learned about a whole lot of little "gotchas" in the last couple of months, even after thinking that I had educated myself and mostly done it all right over the last 3 years.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:24 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by allingeneral
You make a good point, however, the 6.0 is the most finicky drivetrain that I've ever met when it comes to "must use OEM parts only".

Don't get me wrong - I love my truck. Just that I've learned about a whole lot of little "gotchas" in the last couple of months, even after thinking that I had educated myself and mostly done it all right over the last 3 years.
As the technology advances the gotchas will increase on all motors. Specs are tighter and the am's don't want to pay royalty's so they tweak the am parts. I don't think you've seen the tip of the ice berg yet.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Try working on Ducatis...

Josh

Old 04-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
You are exactly correct sir.
Just what I thought.

Make me sick knowing how long this went on for, (bought the truck last year, one owner)

Possibly a $23.00 cap could have saved 2 injectors : (

BTW, also doing the blue spring upgrade on both trucks too after reading on up on it!!

Old 04-01-2014, 07:03 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
I bought my 2006 three years ago and have changed oil religiously (Rotella T6), and ensured that I used Motorcraft fuel and oil filters every time. But last month when I was working on the oil cooler and egr cooler, I realized that my oil cap said NAPA Gold on top of it, and I was steamed. I immediately ordered an OEM cap and it has since been installed. No telling how much damage was caused to my injectors over the last three years (and however long the previous owner had driven it that way). This truck should *not* be this easy to break. </rant>
How were you using an OE filter with an A/M cap?

Old 04-01-2014, 08:19 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Try working on Ducatis...

Josh
No kidding. My 900ss was a major maintenance hog, but a blast to ride