Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Senior User

underp2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
rusted rear frame cross member & trailer hitch tow frame

My tow hitch was rusted through. Lowered the spare, cut the bolts off, removed the tow hitch. Then I noticed that the rear frame cross member is as rotten as the tow hitch frame. This is the 'X' shaped crossmember that the spare tire winches upto. 2 junkyards said that they don't have any, and that ford doesn't carry them. They said if I found a jused one, it would probably be rotten already. I went to Ford and they confirmed that they don't carry them. Anyone else have this problem? Is there any easy resolution? I really don't feel like fabricating my own right now.

Peteout.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Postmaster

mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
Have one shipped from a recycler NOT in the northeast. It is the road salt that eats up your vehicles. Rust is very rare on trucks that spent their lives out here in the southwest... I have ordered several parts sight unseen from Al's and get exactly what I ordered every time.
Al's Lynnwood Truck Parts
I'm sure there are lots of others with good service and good shipping.
'99 F250 V10 Super Cab Long Bed 4x4. '06 short block, PI conversion, modded airbox, 5 Star custom tune, FM50BB, 315/75-16 GY Duratracs, mild lift, 4.30 LSD, Ride-Rite bags, on board air, Rancho RS9000 w/MyRide, under bed subwoofer, 160 amp Quick Start large case alternator
Why, yes, I am some kind of geek engineer. Thank you for asking.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Post Fiend

SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
you must get some crazy salt guys where you live? my 2004 only has rust on the bed supportswhich im gonna sand and paint before november, other than that the truck is rust free and im from the rust beltin NJ. I do however wash my truck all winter long to get as much salt off the frame as possible.

2004 F-350, XLT, SC, SB, FX4, 5.4, 4R100 w/ .472 line mod valve & TransGo HD2 reprogramming kit, 4.30 gears w/ Detroit locker, zoo dad mod w/ STOCK intake, Gibson stainless headers, SPD y-pipe, 51509 cat, Borla 3" exhaust, 1" rear AAL, dually upper and lower overload spring, 08 diff cover, ProComp 22210 springs, more.....
Old 10-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Post Fiend

SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
can we see some pictures?

2004 F-350, XLT, SC, SB, FX4, 5.4, 4R100 w/ .472 line mod valve & TransGo HD2 reprogramming kit, 4.30 gears w/ Detroit locker, zoo dad mod w/ STOCK intake, Gibson stainless headers, SPD y-pipe, 51509 cat, Borla 3" exhaust, 1" rear AAL, dually upper and lower overload spring, 08 diff cover, ProComp 22210 springs, more.....
Old 10-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Post Fiend

99f350sd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.99f350sd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Much better to bring it to a welder and have him fab it up for you..doesn't need to look the same just be strong and done correctly..Bring it up to vermont and drop it off and I'd be glad to do it.

Dick
USAF 76-80
CX500 TURBO ORIG OWNER
Old 10-17-2011, 05:08 PM
New User

snow ho is starting off with a positive reputation.
20,000 miles and looks horrible

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150340104281009.339643.166691941008&type=3[/IMG]
Old 10-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
De-rusting the hoe.. | Facebook

Fixed the link.^^^ Horrible rust.

I would have a new rear crossmember fabbed from some square tube and plate. Then mount the spare tire hanger/reel assembly to it, if the assembly is ok. Check the reel and cable for rust damage. Its a simple fab job for someone who does it on a regular basis. Use all grade 8 hardware to bolt the new crossmember to the frame. I always over build my stuff with heavier steel and bolts, more weight but less chance of failure.

When you live in areas with harsh winter environments you have to get under the truck and keep rust at bay or you will suffer the consequences. Its especially bad for a plow truck with a blade and salt spreader. I'm under my truck removing rust and painting on a regular basis when the weather is nicer.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:36 PM
New User

snow ho is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks dkf,..Still new at this ...
Old 10-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Senior User

underp2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
rusted through

Here are the pics of the tow frame and cross member - both were rusted through.

How do you insert images? or attach files?
Old 10-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Post Fiend

HOLY FING CRAP! Thats horrible for a truck with 20k on it. my 1978 F150 i bought two years ago came from PA and it look almost new underneath. even my 2004 350 looks almost showroom new. I seriously blam Ford for this, you buy a forty thousand dollar truck and half of the undercarriage is bare steel, then you bring it in for rust "under warrenty" and you have some pencil pusher say o thats not covered. If i ever get enough money in this economy and decide to buy another new 1Ton i dont think it will be another Ford.....

Old 10-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Post Fiend

i use tinypic.com all youdo is click on browse and go to where the pictures are saved on your computer, then just pick the size you want and click upload, then copy the URL for a web forum and post it here on the quick reply and your done.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Post Fiend

TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Old 10-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow ho View Post
Thanks dkf,..Still new at this ...
Just so you know for next time, I just deleted the [/IMG] off the end of the link you posted and it fixed the link.

Quote:
How do you insert images? or attach files?
If you can't get pics to come up I can post some for you. I use photobucket myself.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
I hate rust.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829
Old 04-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Junior User

Old and Busted is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry to dig up an old thread here, but I've just discovered similar rot to the rear cross member on my F350. Found it after hearing my spare bouce around. After reading some of these responses I'm most likely going to have a welder take a look at it as I'm in the New England and haven't found anything at local salvage yards. Do need a gut check here though....until it's fixed am I pushing my luck doing any local (non-highway) towing? It's a class V receiver bolted to the frame. The frame in the area of the receiver bolt up has surface rust, but is pretty much solid. Average load of the trailers I'm towing is about 2000K with 250lbs tounge weight.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:19 PM