Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Opinion about remote start??

Old 10-13-2011, 10:13 AM
f-250muddin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion about remote start??

I was talking to a buddy of mines about putting a remote start on a 02 explorer he said that would be a bad idea on fords because the can get stolen really easy like that i just wanted to know yalls opinion on that?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:10 PM
plumber01
Post Fiend
I think if someone really wants to steal it, remote start or not they are going to get it. If you want one get it.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:02 AM
f-250muddin
Junior User
yeah thats true man

Old 10-19-2011, 11:27 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by plumber01
I think if someone really wants to steal it, remote start or not they are going to get it. If you want one get it.
it would sure be handy when it gets really cold outside...I would love to have it out here in the panhandle

Old 10-21-2011, 09:40 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have had remote starts on all three of my Ex's ..... and think it's the best add on EVER !
no problems that I know of ! and thinking of getting it on the wife's new audi Q5 - but it will cost $800 because the interface isn't readily available and it's fiber optics throughout the car !!!

Maybe your buddy is referring to the rumor that the pats key is sometimes disabled with remote starts? dunno - but the remote start HAS the security built in...

While it's nice to try to pre-warm the engine up on cold mornings - it typically doesn't help too much with heating the interior - we try to remember to heat the seat heater before we shut down for the nite and at least the seats are warm

Now, in the summer, the remote start is a MUST for us - set the rear air on high and the a/c WILL cool off the truck quickly with the remote start...

Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
not to sound like a salesman but consider putting a Ravelco anti-theft device in any of your vehicles, and u'll have peace of mind. basically, aint nobody's gonna start ur car even if they tried. here's their website. Ravelco Anti Theft Device

apparently, they now make it for tons of cars, and not just ford's. they make them for gasoline, diesels and hybrids.

jus my 2 cents.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 AM
mark996
Senior User
If you own an F250 like your name states, the least of your worries is the remote start for that sucker. It's ridiculously easy to pry a screwdriver sized hole around the door handle and you've got complete access to the door mechanisms. They make plates to install right on the inside of the door handle to prevent that though, a must for anyone owning an EX, F250 or F350. Looking at our departments homepage, 4 of the last 5 stolen vehicles were 2 F250's and 2 F350's. I'm all for the remote start, it's an awesome add on. Love being able to start up my truck while walking out to it on a cold day, or hot day, and letting it cool down/heat up a bit. Makes it easier, get in and drive off, especially on days that need defrosting.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:15 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love my viper alarm with remote start have it on 2 of my vehicles.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mark996
If you own an F250 like your name states, the least of your worries is the remote start for that sucker. It's ridiculously easy to pry a screwdriver sized hole around the door handle and you've got complete access to the door mechanisms. They make plates to install right on the inside of the door handle to prevent that though, a must for anyone owning an EX, F250 or F350. Looking at our departments homepage, 4 of the last 5 stolen vehicles were 2 F250's and 2 F350's. I'm all for the remote start, it's an awesome add on. Love being able to start up my truck while walking out to it on a cold day, or hot day, and letting it cool down/heat up a bit. Makes it easier, get in and drive off, especially on days that need defrosting.
tats all fine and dandy but i'd like to know tat my car is still there the next day even if they broke into it. i'd love to stand there and see the look on the thief's face when he cant get the car started, no matter how much he tries to hotwire the car from under the steering column or under the hood. tats why we have Ravelco. nice folks. they even come out to ur home or place of work and install it for u to see. they even explain how everything works. also, they're the only guys who can boast a ZERO theft while the thing is in there. check these guys out. it'll change ur mind. i know i am glad i got it installed.

true story, i bought the truck on a thursday. before i left the dealer on thursday, i had them come out and install it in the dealer's lot. no extra charge for tat. i drove to my dad's house and spent the weekend there. on saturday night, a neighbor was having a huge and loud birthday party. my car got broken into. on sunday morning, it was open. keyhole popped. alarm probably didnt even go off. and the inside was not tampered wif. the thief saw the ravelco plug in the car and probably decided to leave. my baby was right where i left her. on the side of the road. i plugged in, started up and was on my way.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:03 AM
mark996
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snuggyworm
tats all fine and dandy but i'd like to know tat my car is still there the next day even if they broke into it. i'd love to stand there and see the look on the thief's face when he cant get the car started, no matter how much he tries to hotwire the car from under the steering column or under the hood. tats why we have Ravelco. nice folks. they even come out to ur home or place of work and install it for u to see. they even explain how everything works. also, they're the only guys who can boast a ZERO theft while the thing is in there. check these guys out. it'll change ur mind. i know i am glad i got it installed.

true story, i bought the truck on a thursday. before i left the dealer on thursday, i had them come out and install it in the dealer's lot. no extra charge for tat. i drove to my dad's house and spent the weekend there. on saturday night, a neighbor was having a huge and loud birthday party. my car got broken into. on sunday morning, it was open. keyhole popped. alarm probably didnt even go off. and the inside was not tampered wif. the thief saw the ravelco plug in the car and probably decided to leave. my baby was right where i left her. on the side of the road. i plugged in, started up and was on my way.
Really pushing that system aren't we? I agree, it's a nice system, but in all honesty, it's not going to keep your truck from getting stolen. These days they'll drive around with a damn tow truck. Doesn't matter they can't sell the truck for full price, they'll gut the damn thing in 24 hours anyway. If they want it, they WILL get it. Fords are the worst vehicle on the market for auto thefts. I'd say the super duty series gets stolen more than any other vehicle, it just seems way too easy. If you're serious about getting your vehicle back home, and keeping it there, LoJack is where it's at. That way, when that guy that broke in to your truck in the past comes back with a repo truck, you'll still get it back.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Really pushing that system aren't we? I agree, it's a nice system, but in all honesty, it's not going to keep your truck from getting stolen. These days they'll drive around with a damn tow truck. Doesn't matter they can't sell the truck for full price, they'll gut the damn thing in 24 hours anyway. If they want it, they WILL get it. Fords are the worst vehicle on the market for auto thefts. I'd say the super duty series gets stolen more than any other vehicle, it just seems way too easy. If you're serious about getting your vehicle back home, and keeping it there, LoJack is where it's at. That way, when that guy that broke in to your truck in the past comes back with a repo truck, you'll still get it back.
mark, i agree wif ur point. ur right as well. sigh. sad day for us ford owners.

sorry to hijack the thread.

best of luck to the OP in ur choice of remote start.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:38 PM
mark996
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snuggyworm
mark, i agree wif ur point. ur right as well. sigh. sad day for us ford owners.

sorry to hijack the thread.

best of luck to the OP in ur choice of remote start.
Nah, you were right on point with that anti theft system, if I had the money and didn't have GPS already on it, I'd definitely be looking in to it. It's enough to deter the common every day truck theif. Right now, at least in North Texas, the hot thing is stripping the trucks for parts, then leaving it abandoned somewhere where it won't be found for days if not longer. We've had a lot of low water areas in lakes and ponds, lots of other agencies calling us saying they've recovered basically a vin plate, and a frame of a vehicle that became visible due to the low water we're having.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Nah, you were right on point with that anti theft system, if I had the money and didn't have GPS already on it, I'd definitely be looking in to it. It's enough to deter the common every day truck theif. Right now, at least in North Texas, the hot thing is stripping the trucks for parts, then leaving it abandoned somewhere where it won't be found for days if not longer. We've had a lot of low water areas in lakes and ponds, lots of other agencies calling us saying they've recovered basically a vin plate, and a frame of a vehicle that became visible due to the low water we're having.
tats messed up. wrong too.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:08 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Talking

I love my remote start and it did not cost me a thing. I only use it on the coldest of mornings.

Theres only one problem--- Sometimes shes a little slower to get started. I found one thing that helps. A hot cup of coffee waiting for her when she gets back inside.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DRRXR
I love my remote start and it did not cost me a thing. I only use it on the coldest of mornings.

Theres only one problem--- Sometimes shes a little slower to get started. I found one thing that helps. A hot cup of coffee waiting for her when she gets back inside.
That kind of "Remote Starter" can get very expensive if you forget the coffee and she goes for a divorce.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinion about remote start??