Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Senior User

MD05 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great looking work!
Looking to do the same with a F5 or 6 truck.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Elder User

aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Loving this build, great work so far.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Senior User

gregstith is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.gregstith is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great job! There are so many talented people on this sight.!

Keith, your truck is sick!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
Your roof looks like it turned out just fine. keep up the good work!
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 05-21-2012, 08:07 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

dynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to all
Well gang its been slow going the past month or so due to swap meets every weekend for about 5 weeks.

This springs swap meets were very good to me.

Door glass for all but two doors and a rear window, all new and for $50.00.

V-8 emblems, door mirror, door hinges(about a dozen), 15" trim rings, and some innie rims for parts.

Now that the swaps are over we are back in full swing working on the truck again.

Click the image to open in full size.

The drivers side got some mud.

The drivers side antenna hole got filled in.

And the new emergency brake cable and extension hardware was installed.

Click Here to become a RI Chapter Member

Tom - Rhode Island Chapter Leader

"Speed is just a question of money... How fast can you go?" - Mad Max
Old 05-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Is that allthread used to extend the brake cable? If so, not a good or safe choice, allthread is low strength mild steel, Threads strip easily. Equivalent to using a hardware store stove bolt. I'd suggest replacing it with aircraft grade cable and hardened eyebolts.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 05-21-2012, 03:23 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

dynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracer View Post
Is that allthread used to extend the brake cable? If so, not a good or safe choice, allthread is low strength mild steel, Threads strip easily. Equivalent to using a hardware store stove bolt. I'd suggest replacing it with aircraft grade cable and hardened eyebolts.

Normally I would have to agree with you in regards of the low strength aspect of your comment. However I have had great success using threaded rod for this application. Here is a spec sheet showing the shear strenght of threaded rod.

I used grade 2 Mild steel in 5/16".

Old 05-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
I'd have to do much more research, but from the numbers in your chart, I believe that is the shear strength of the rod itself, not the threads. Plus the chart doesn't specify the units. The strain on your rod is completely on the threads, so you should look up the shear (strip) strength of 5/16 NC threads in mild steel. The torque spec for 5/16 -18 #2 bolt is only 12 ft-lb. I may be wrong, but I expect the threads are cut in this grade material, not rolled, which makes them weaker and less resistant to corrosion, a problem given the location of this application.
When it comes to safety equipment I prefer to err on the conservative side.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Elder User

Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.
That truck is lookin goooood!Can't wait to see it with all the sheetmetal on it and on the ground.

I love swap meets. Nuttin like spending a day hunting through other peoples stuff, all in one place, looking for little treasures.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:30 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

We made some more progress this weekend.

check it out.

We repaired the front bed mounts.

After weeks of sanding and preping the drives side....

We finially were able to lay down some primer on the drivers side, the back wall panel, and the rear part of the chassis.

Painted the rear part of the chassis black.

While my buddie was laying down the primer I remembered we skipped over a patch on the lower door hem because I didnt have a patch panel.

So I deceied I could make one. What do you think?

Here is the hole.

The patch panel on the Left is the one I made, and the one on the right is the store bought one.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:44 AM
VT Chapter Ldr

wildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputation
Looking good Tom. Your fabricated patch panel looks close to the manufacturered one.

What product did you use to paint the rear chassis?
Jim- Slackmaster #22, I'll get to it someday BS'er #6. 1996 F250 CC Shorty 4X4 E4OD 7.3L Diesel
Mods: 6637 air filter,203 F t-stat from Diesel Site-finally heat! HPX line, Tymar 3-4 dp to 4" exhaust, E4OD "The Cure" 30K mod for now, 140IDM mod, ISSPRO ev1 egt, trans temp, boost, adrenaline HPOP med-oil, superduty rear springs, 91 D60, 6.0 trans cooler, need 100hp more... 01 excursion 7.3 4x4
Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstang View Post
Looking good Tom. Your fabricated patch panel looks close to the manufacturered one.
Yeah I think the patch panel was pretty decent for 5 minutes of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstang View Post
What product did you use to paint the rear chassis?
We just used some Dupont Gloss Black paint we had laying around.

By the time we finish painting the cab the Gloss on the chassis should be dulled down a bit.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Posting Guru

topmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to behold
Looks great! Nice work.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:55 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Yesterday was an eventful day.

All new brake lines, new rubber lines, new rubber line to hard line to chassis bracket, rebuilt the master cylinder, and bled the brakes, new fuel lines from pump to new rear chassis mounted tank, mounted fuel tank, all in one day.

And we still need to install the new emergency brake cable to frame brackets.

I didnt get any picture of the fuel tank installed,or the fuel lines to the tank, but I will when I intstall the new fuel pump, and the fuel filters, and rubber lines to connect the hard lines to the tank/pump.

ohhhhh... and yes those rusty crunchy shocks are going to be changed out, but not till the truck is almost road worthy. We just need to be able to yard drive the truck right now for positioning the truck in the garage and what not.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Post Fiend

67gt351 has a superb reputation67gt351 has a superb reputation67gt351 has a superb reputation67gt351 has a superb reputation67gt351 has a superb reputation67gt351 has a superb reputation67gt351 has a superb reputation67gt351 has a superb reputation67gt351 has a superb reputation67gt351 has a superb reputation67gt351 has a superb reputation
Boy your not messing around, doing it right
Old 06-03-2012, 08:06 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1956, 56, buddy, cab, cabs, crew, double, f100, fioo, fire, maryland, md, pictures, sale, truck