Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Torque converter upgrade review

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:48 PM
dj211
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque converter upgrade review

just wondering if anybody out there can help me with a torque converter question.

Im looking to upgrade and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for a good converter. Im looking to get one that can withstand lots of torque!!!! all responses will be greatly appriciated

Old 10-12-2011, 01:40 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
What you are doing withnthe truck is mostly what will dictate the converter you will need, the best advice I can give you is to look into a complete bulletproofed trans w/ t/c from John Woods or Brians Truck Shop ^so you won't have to worry bought how much torque or HP you ever put into it...and that's no joke. They both guarantee their transmissions period, end of story.
Jim & fat Monty

Old 10-12-2011, 02:19 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure Brian uses PI Stallions, but i think you need to mod or upgrade the pump with it too.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Yeah PI converters are hands down one of the best! And I'm pretty sure you're correct the stock pump won't handle the stallion!
Jim & fat Monty

Old 10-12-2011, 08:06 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The pump mods are always a good idea when upgrading your TC. Increased pressure to the TC helps increase the load capacity of the friction discs inside.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:21 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Did you do a pump mod Roland? Or did you buy one already done? Just curious since I pussed out and bought a J.W. I just haven't done a 4R100 myself yet & didn't want my beast motor to be running the " beta " testing...if you catch my meaning!
Jim & fat Monty

Old 10-12-2011, 09:48 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
I modded the pump myself using parts included in my TransGo reprogramming kit. I also replaced the boost valve for the pressure regulator and the lock up valve for the TC. The 4R100-LU valve converted the TC lock up from pulse width modulated to 0n-Off operation. The first time I went into the trans was a matter of necessity and I didn't have much time to research things beforehand. I learned alot about more upgrades/mods later and did them the next time around.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:03 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mueckster
The pump mods are always a good idea when upgrading your TC. Increased pressure to the TC helps increase the load capacity of the friction discs inside.
Roland I am finally getting around to replacing my pump seal and bushing in the trans. And I figured since I am right there I was going to do pump mods. Sonnax pump gears, front lube and converter drain-back valve,boost valve & sleeve kit with o-rings,line to lube pressure regulator valve, main pressure regulator springs. But my question for you is after doing these mods is it going to help or hurt my stock torque converter? That and how did you line up the pump half's when putting the pump together? I was going to buy alignment dowels for the 4r100. I really don't want to replace torque converter or any other hard parts since the only problem I have is a leaky front seal.
Oh and on the subject on hand I have been looking at torque converters too. And they cost and arm and leg. And I had seen that if you blow the trans and you want that new torque converter cleaned out and rewelded you are looking at $400-$600 on top of the cost of TC. So that is an other reason NOT to replace TC until it is rebuild time.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:18 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
. But my question for you is after doing these mods is it going to help or hurt my stock torque converter? That and how did you line up the pump half's when putting the pump together? I was going to buy alignment dowels for the 4r100.
Oh and on the subject on hand I have been looking at torque converters too. And they cost and arm and leg. And I had seen that if you blow the trans and you want that new torque converter cleaned out and rewelded you are looking at $400-$600 on top of the cost of TC. So that is an other reason NOT to replace TC until it is rebuild time.
As long as your trans is functioning normally, I see these mods as a way of extending its life.
I used metric bolts of the proper size with piece of plastic tubing around them as my alignment dowels for the pump bolt holes. I placed some thin strap around the outside perimeter and tightened it down with a couple of large worm gear hose clamps.
Personally, unless you are 100% sure the trans isn't going to take a dump any time soon, I'd wait on replacing the TC until a rebuild.
Are you replacing the stator shaft TC seal ring and the Coast Clutch seal rings on the pump also? You just want to be sure you have everything before you do this project.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:25 AM
kupaa
Posting Guru
I modded the pump myself using parts included in my TransGo reprogramming kit. I also replaced the boost valve for the pressure regulator and the lock up valve for the TC. The 4R100-LU valve converted the TC lock up from pulse width modulated to 0n-Off operation. The first time I went into the trans was a matter of necessity and I didn't have much time to research things beforehand. I learned alot about more upgrades/mods later and did them the next time around.
I'm doing my trans in a few weeks and will put a transgo tugger kit. Is everything in the tugger included for the pump mods? What else should I get? I'm going with TCA for my converter and a billet input.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:06 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
As long as your trans is functioning normally, I see these mods as a way of extending its life.
I used metric bolts of the proper size with piece of plastic tubing around them as my alignment dowels for the pump bolt holes. I placed some thin strap around the outside perimeter and tightened it down with a couple of large worm gear hose clamps.
Personally, unless you are 100% sure the trans isn't going to take a dump any time soon, I'd wait on replacing the TC until a rebuild.
Are you replacing the stator shaft TC seal ring and the Coast Clutch seal rings on the pump also? You just want to be sure you have everything before you do this project.
Thanks for pointing out the stator shaft TC seal ring and the Coast Clutch seal I am hoping that comes with my master overhaul gasket set. Was there any special tricks to replacing the front and rear pump bushings ? And what kind of TC did you use ? And I am going to wait to replace my TC until I do a complete overhaul. And I am hoping these mods will extending its life until I have the cash to put all the little goodies in the trans and valve body or just get a BTS trans.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:04 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by kupaa
I'm doing my trans in a few weeks and will put a transgo tugger kit. Is everything in the tugger included for the pump mods? What else should I get? I'm going with TCA for my converter and a billet input.
The boost valve and the lock up valve are not part of the kit. There a few other things, other than in the pump, that were upgraded as well. I replaced all the Line Regulator Valves, in the Accumulator VB, with steel ones. Only one is included in the TransGo kit and can be purchased separately in a package of 3.

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Thanks for pointing out the stator shaft TC seal ring and the Coast Clutch seal I am hoping that comes with my master overhaul gasket set. Was there any special tricks to replacing the front and rear pump bushings ? And what kind of TC did you use ? And I am going to wait to replace my TC until I do a complete overhaul. And I am hoping these mods will extending its life until I have the cash to put all the little goodies in the trans and valve body or just get a BTS trans.
The sealing rings will be in the overhaul kit, so you should be covered there.
Make sure you install the bushing's lube groove in the same position as the old one. IIRC, One of the bushings was staked in place and I staked the new one also. I used a TC from Midwest Converters. It was part of a kit that was included as a upgrade for my first rebuild. It is a billet 3 disc clutch TC. I got a discount for purchasing several components together and it ended up being IIRC ~ $800.