Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Freshman User

AK 440 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2006 F250 spark plug change - success!

My truck has had an intermittent misfire in cyl #1 and occasionally in #5. I'd replaced all 8 COPs and saw a significant improvement but the misfire would occur when coasting down a hill with the throttle closed or under load like when towing a trailer. Clear the code and the truck would run perfect and then the condition would come back.

Anyway, I decided to replace all eight fuel injectors and spark plugs at the same time. All eight plugs came out without an issue. I'd run a tankful of Chevron gas along with two bottles of Techron fuel injector cleaner prior to changing the plugs. Removing the fuel rail made access to the plugs much easier and I didn't have to use any universal joints. The plugs at the back of the motor were the hardest to get to but it wasn't really that bad. My truck has around 43,000 miles and the plugs I pulled out had some wear. I'm assuming they were the stock Motorcraft. I'm replacing them with one piece, Champion 7989's.

Changing plugs on a 5.4 is definitely a lot harder and more time consuming than my old Chevy 350 V-8. I'm glad I didn't have to use the Lisle plug removal tool I bought just for extra insurance and piece of mind. The stock plugs use a 9/16 socket and the Champions use a more standard 5/8 socket. I bought a special 9/16 socket just for this job and I'm glad I did. I've broken the porcelain off plugs using a regular deep well socket.

I should know how good it runs in a couple days. It is quite the time consuming project.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Elder User

maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.
Well it should fix your problems anyway - not sure there's anything left to cause a miss! Did you put the antisieze on the plug threads?
Old 10-14-2011, 06:48 PM
New User

JS350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm picking up an 06 350 regular cab SD next weekend. Its my first Ford since my 97 F150 Off Road that I sold in 2001. I'm concerned about the spark plugs because I'm not sure if they are original, or if they were changed. I just have a few questions if that's OK. Why is the 9/16 socket special, who makes them and where can it be purchased? Also, do you have any other tips on plug removal? Do you think that injector cleaner helped a lot? I guess the idea behind the cleaner is to remove any carbon on the plugs. Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Senior User

doofuss is starting off with a positive reputation.
this helps.

How to- Change Spark Plugs on Ford 3 valve modular engines Autolite - YouTube
Folks call me doofuss. Oregon truck: 2008 F-250 V-10 Lariat. CC LB, 4.10's, factory manual transfer case and hubs, Front Eaton E-locker, 18" Lawless 8's w/ Cooper stt 35-12.50's. 4.5" Revtec lift w/ custom rate Deaver springs. Bilstien 5100's. Florida truck: 2008 F-150 King Ranch, Front Eaton E-locker.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Post Fiend

99f350sd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.99f350sd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Injectors! Plugs! OMGosh $$$$$
My 99 has original cops and inj and the plugs were changed @88k or so. You fella's throw money at these trucks like it was toilet paper..I'm just an old mechanic..By the way I have never changed an injector in any vehicle in 35 years of working on them.
I've cleaned a few but thats it. Book says 100k on plugs for my 99..

Hope you fixed it!

Dick
USAF 76-80
CX500 TURBO ORIG OWNER
Old 10-16-2011, 12:45 PM
New User

JS350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey Doofus, I watched that video on Youtube, by Autolite, and it was informative. I also saw more than a few videos that show guys pulling out the plugs with an impact. Seems like either way works.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:51 AM
Freshman User

I'm happy to say that my misfire has been cured. When I first started the truck the CEL light came on and stayed on for the entire test drive. I had about 4 codes pop up related to the TPS components. I cleared the codes and they've not come back and the truck runs smoother and better than it ever has. Yes, I did anti-seize the threads on the new plugs. JS350, the normal plug sockets I had were 13/16 and 5/8, I didn't have 9/16 until I ordered it off Amazon when getting all the parts and pieces to do the job.

In response to the comment about throwing money away. Whatever..., you've got a 2 valve head. Most important thing is my truck finally runs like it should. I did all the work myself and saved labor costs, plus Rock Auto has good prices on parts so I'm fine with it. I don't look at the amount of money I spent as a huge deal, especially when others have spent far more paying someone else to change only the plugs. Something to think about, it took quite a bit of time & effort to pull everything off to access both the injectors and plugs. I sure as hell didn't want to cheap out and replace only 2 injectors or plugs (my scan tool showed misfires in 5 & 7) only to get misfires in the other cylinders two weeks/ two months or so down the road. It took me a few nights or around 6-8 hours to do the work.

I don't know if running fuel injector cleaner helped out or not? I'm guessing it didn't because in June I ran a tank full of Seafoam through it and didn't see a difference in performance or a decrease in misfires. I also ran a tankfull of Marvel Mystery Oil through it a few weeks later and didn't see a difference in misfires. The Techron didn't help with misfires either so.... I think it is probably a waste of money? But, the stock plugs came out looking very clean and didn't have any carbon on them. If the cleaner removed the carbon then it was worth it because from what I've read, the carbon seizes the stock plugs causing them to break. Oh, and another comment directed towards 99f350sd, in my rural Alaskan town, we can only buy Tesoro or no-name gas and neither is blended with a detergent. I was told that AK gas contains a lot of sulfur so maybe the '06 Ford injectors (that I read on this forum were recalled) didn't like it.

Last edited by AK 440; 10-17-2011 at 03:35 AM. Reason: plug socket info
Old 10-17-2011, 02:58 AM
Freshman User

Doofus,
Great video, I just watched it. I did almost everything they showed except for the cleaner into the spark plug wells. I used the same type of socket wrench they used in the video and it took a lot of effort to break my plugs free. Most of them also squealed as I turned them loose. I worked the plugs back and forth between tightening and loosening as I removed them. The plugs had quite a bit of resistance for the first 1/3 to half of turning them out. To sum things up this plug change was a PITA and I kept thinking about how much easier and quicker it was to change plugs on my old Chevy 350.

99f350sd,
Tell you what, I'll sell you my 8 stock injectors for half the cost of new. They've only got 43,200 miles on them so you will be set for a long time. IF you have an issue you can clean them and still come out money ahead. I'll anxiously wait for your reply!

Last edited by AK 440; 10-17-2011 at 03:59 AM. Reason: 99f350sd offer
Old 10-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Senior User

doofuss is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99f350sd View Post
Injectors! Plugs! OMGosh $$$$$
My 99 has original cops and inj and the plugs were changed @88k or so. You fella's throw money at these trucks like it was toilet paper..I'm just an old mechanic..By the way I have never changed an injector in any vehicle in 35 years of working on them.
I've cleaned a few but thats it. Book says 100k on plugs for my 99..

Hope you fixed it!

Dick
Hey Dick, I don't see how this post was helpfull.
Folks call me doofuss. Oregon truck: 2008 F-250 V-10 Lariat. CC LB, 4.10's, factory manual transfer case and hubs, Front Eaton E-locker, 18" Lawless 8's w/ Cooper stt 35-12.50's. 4.5" Revtec lift w/ custom rate Deaver springs. Bilstien 5100's. Florida truck: 2008 F-150 King Ranch, Front Eaton E-locker.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Post Fiend

99f350sd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.99f350sd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doofuss View Post
Hey Dick, I don't see how this post was helpfull.
I'm a professional mechanic for 35 years and the way i learned was to never throw parts at a vehicle. Find the problem and learn..
When i post most times its to help out those that don't know better.
Only try to help..
USAF 76-80
CX500 TURBO ORIG OWNER
Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Freshman User

I understand your logic and it is good, provided you have all the diagnostic tools at your disposal. I don't have the diagnostic tools that a repair shop has.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Post Fiend

Experience is the best tool to have.. Thats why I'm on here to share what I can..
What a waste to reinvent the wheel.
USAF 76-80
CX500 TURBO ORIG OWNER
Old 10-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Posting Guru

nitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to behold
not to say an injector can't go bad, but I am with 99f350sd here. bad injectors are pretty rare as compared to sparkplugs wearing out. while they may last as long as ford claims the odds of seeing an improvement from new plugs if there is a problem is fairly high.by and large gas i njectors don't go bad unless the engine sits for really extended time(like several years) then they can gum up and rust to the point that the spray pattern is affected. other than that unless the filter passed large quantities of dirt to the injectors they should last forever. as far as diagnostic tools go there is an app for android, apple and blackberry that links via a bluetooth device in the diagnostic port. it lets you see any reading that the ECM sees and also lets you read codes. less than $100 I b'lieve
Old 10-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Freshman User

At my work they had an '08 F-350 with the same issues as my truck and the injectors were carboned up. Changed the injectors, truck ran great. I also read about a recall on the injectors for the '06. I'm kind of surprised that people even care whether one or all eight injectors get changed out. We are talking under $200 for injectors. To replace one or all eight requires just about the same amount of work. If I paid someone to do the work I'd have said replace all eight while you are in there since the chances are if one went bad another would have gone bad in the near future.

I'm not certain the plugs had much to do with the condition. I don't see how a plug could create an intermittent misfire? All it has to do is spark. An injector has moving parts and if it is not working properly or the spray pattern is messed up, it could easily cause the misfire. I mainly changed the plugs so I wouldn't have to deal with broken plugs years down the road. Plus it only made sense to change them since I was already there and it was way, way easier to do with the injector rail out of the way.

To each their own but my time is worth more to me than the price of all eight injectors. I would have been pissed had I had to go back and change out another one 6 months down the road.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Freshman User

Update - Just did a 600 mile trip towing a 24' enclosed trailer. My truck ran perfect! Before I did the work, I did the same trip three times (twice w/o trailer, once with trailer) and the truck flashed CEL/misfired on most of the downhills and would flash CEL/misfire when under load climbing hills or passing people. It was a PITA and the truck did it more often when towing the trailer. This trip the truck ran smooth, no hesitations or hiccups and the low speed, granny low 1st running through tight parking lots was way, way smoother than before.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:24 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2006, 2008, 250, 54, change, duty, f150, f250, ford, plug, plugs, removal, spark, super, tool