Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Operation- Ugly Stick continues *New pics added 10/24

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slip ford man
Easy tiger, was only meant to be funny comparing to that famous fishing rod
LOL you didnt rile me up bud. But this thing got beat with the "other" ugly stick.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Originally Posted by nstueve

I also plan to have a 79cc kit in my saw by next year with a little port and polish work before it goes together. Way more than 5hp!
Nate check out the http://www.arboristsite.com Baily's BB kits are not reliable and prone to failure. Ill listen to anyone that does not recommend a husky. I have owned too many of them POS's from new, to junk... to even try and under stand why people use them. 288, 288 lite. 2 395's ehh wasted money also way loud for no reason. Only reason for a powerful saw in my onion is to cross cut with aggressive ripping chain. I can fall a 60 inch leaning red oak with a 44cc saw and 20 inch bar with no tare out or cracking. Even my current saws are over rated for a pro that knows what they are doing. Its all in how you do it, not power or size of the bar in my experience. But as you see I was young once and had the 395's... Retarded saw but could pull a 50 inch chain w/o bogging (why thats needed Ill never know.) Just be careful on the BB stuff. For the amount you use a saw it may work out for you. For me it would be dead in a month.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:59 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bankrupter
Nate check out the http://www.arboristsite.com Baily's BB kits are not reliable and prone to failure. Ill listen to anyone that does not recommend a husky. I have owned too many of them POS's from new, to junk... to even try and under stand why people use them. 288, 288 lite. 2 395's ehh wasted money also way loud for no reason. Only reason for a powerful saw in my onion is to cross cut with aggressive ripping chain. I can fall a 60 inch leaning red oak with a 44cc saw and 20 inch bar with no tare out or cracking. Even my current saws are over rated for a pro that knows what they are doing. Its all in how you do it, not power or size of the bar in my experience. But as you see I was young once and had the 395's... Retarded saw but could pull a 50 inch chain w/o bogging (why thats needed Ill never know.) Just be careful on the BB stuff. For the amount you use a saw it may work out for you. For me it would be dead in a month.

LOL! Obviously you weren't around when I first got on arborist! LOL... I got some advice on what chainsaw to buy a year or two ago and then after finding this Makita 6401 on craigslist for $100 I talked "Johny Whitecollar" that didn't know the first thing about chainsaws down to $75! LOL... Everyone was flamming me for basicly saying the white collar guy I bought it from was an idiot... Alot of people were insensed by my "lack of understanding" and "judgment of office working foke"... search for "nstueve" on arborist and I bet you'll be able to find the whole conversation easy enough... I honestly don't go back to arborist much unless I have a problem that needs solved b/c there are a bunch of cry babies on there.

As for the big bore kit... The big bore kit for my saw is 84cc's not 79cc's. The 79cc kit is the stock cylinder for the Dolmar 7900. I'd just be upgraging myself into a bigger but still "stock" saw... Except for the P&P work. I like having the extra power there when I need it. I'll be running a 28in bar through White, Black, Pin, and Burr oak that is all of 40in+. My trees aren't leaning hard one way or another so there is no good way to fell them besides waiting for a decent breeze and wedge cutting them the way you want them to fall. Anyway I am planning on doing some of the cutting races at the Iowa GHG next year! Need a big **** fast saw!

Sorry for stealing the thread but here is the thread about the arborist guys flaming me if you want a good laugh...
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/152643.htm

Old 10-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stihl 044 71cc rocks ...good people Chain : Chains : Accessories : Tools / Saws : Professional Gear

Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
. My trees aren't leaning hard one way or another so there is no good way to fell them besides waiting for a decent breeze and wedge cutting them the way you want them to fall.
Thats when you can use a hand saw ... I joke but im also serious.

Anyway I am planning on doing some of the cutting races at the Iowa GHG next year! Need a big **** fast saw!
OK this is where you need power....

Sorry for stealing the thread but here is the thread about the arborist guys flaming me if you want a good laugh...
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/152643.htm
Post any thing to me anytime man... this is just another paint thread.

Stihl 044 71cc rocks ...good people Chain : Chains : Accessories : Tools / Saws : Professional Gear
044 is a good lil saw. I have never owned one but the company had a few, for liming. I have used them and its really all you need. 036 pro a touch smaller but is really a lil better of a saw for this also. Its the only one to ever catch me slacking and reconstructed my knee for me. opsy ... made a mess of my leg quick

Old 10-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
044 is a good lil saw. I have never owned one but the company had a few, for liming.

That's a big saw to be used as a limber LOL it's more of a felling and bucking saw...044 was number 4 of 18, down on the bigness list, 14 lbs I believe

Old 10-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Bankrupter
Elder User
That's a big saw to be used as a limber LOL it's more of a felling and bucking saw...044 was number 4 of 18, down on the bigness list, 14 lbs I believe
yep.. I use the 046 or MS460 for falling/bucking. When I say limbing I mean bucking. We chip anything whole thats not a saw log. But the 44 is a perfect all around saw if you are holding it for a 8 hour shift. I use the 460 as its all I have now other then a 066 and that thing is too much. But, as I said before, I spend most of my days in a Timberjack 608 B Fellerbuncher. Saws are the days past of logging. This week the chip plant is closed so we all have it off... I should be working on my truck right now or hunting and Im checking threads... whats wrong with me ? Have a good day all ! I'm out

Old 10-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
yep.. I use the 046 or MS460 for falling/bucking. When I say limbing I mean bucking. We chip anything whole thats not a saw log. But the 44 is a perfect all around saw if you are holding it for a 8 hour shift. I use the 460 as its all I have now other then a 066 and that thing is too much. But, as I said before, I spend most of my days in a Timberjack 608 B Fellerbuncher. Saws are the days past of logging. This week the chip plant is closed so we all have it off... I should be working on my truck right now or hunting and Im checking threads... whats wrong with me ? Have a good day all ! I'm out

Cool!...these last few posts inspired me to try to get my brand new limber started. I've had it for 5 years, and could never get her running past 10 seconds. After an hour of trying today, I decided to take a look at the spark plug. To my shock, it was only threaded in about one turn. Where is the quality control at Husqvarna, how was it ever tested before leaving the plant, do they loosen the plug before shipping, should they tell the customer? so many questions...I tighten the plug, and it fired right up, and all thanks to you

my tree toys

Old 10-23-2011, 08:09 PM
88dually
Elder User
hey guys, can we get back to the build ?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Originally Posted by 88dually
hey guys, can we get back to the build ?
LOL just for you Ill put up the drivers side pics at some point tomorrow. Well its 10:30 I may get them up tonight. Your not really missing anthing. I still need to order all new sheet metal for the front end.

I would like a lil hood advice. the one I have has been hit and repaired not bad but I would rather fresh steel.heres the advice I want/need:

1. find a solid no rust hood in a yard ?
2. Just buy a new one.

I dont care which way I go here but, the ford part will be a better part correct? Fenders will be the best "new" I can find. I have a line on solid power doors and this is a XL. its a no brainer just looking for good ele door panels in blue. If any one near me needs doors my XL doors will be up for grabs they are zero rot/dent vent window with good glass blue panels in good condition.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:38 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
Looks like a good work truck build, I was thinking about getting a utility body truck before I got the one I have now.

As for saws- I have a Husqvarna 450 18". No complaints so far, plenty of power and easy to use, but I'm not a professional. Mostly firewood and dead/dying trees at home.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Originally Posted by blkF250HD
Looks like a good work truck build, I was thinking about getting a utility body truck before I got the one I have now.

As for saws- I have a Husqvarna 450 18". No complaints so far, plenty of power and easy to use, but I'm not a professional. Mostly firewood and dead/dying trees at home.
I only bought this truck to "buy" the city plow route it had. Its hard getting extra routes here -Politicians. I had my foot it in the door but could not get multi routes. So I have to pay for them by buying out the old timers that have them. Next year I plan to buy out this guys last route that comes with a 99/00? F350 utility 7.3 PSD w/fisher. This years (this truck) plowing cash should buy it. Then I'll just need a body for its seat. When I'm done with this one I don't think Ill let anyone work it again. Then let the fun begin with that one.... Its in good over all shape and wanted it first but, he would not let it go for the cash I had on hand. 5 year plan, 3 down and on track. I lost it all in the economy crash (including wife) but I still have fight in me...

Old 10-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
OK, drivers side pics so far. handles/filler necks still need to come off and be sand blasted/replaced. I looked into stainless handles for this and got back 45 a pop .. Yea no... 45 x 7 Not yet anyways.

Lots of work but its already looking better! BTW I cleaned off the gas caps not still primer. It was late so didn't take a finished photo

Old 10-24-2011, 12:53 AM
88dually
Elder User
looks alot better already.
keep going with the ****....lol

Old 10-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Bankrupter
Elder User
LOL who added those tags? Gonna put this in almost all the searches with those and I can't remove them (not mine) ... Adding tags is cool but dont add stuff that acts like spam to a search ...

Quick Reply: Operation- Ugly Stick continues *New pics added 10/24