1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

new guy has questions

Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 AM
jack.dubord
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new guy has questions

i have a edge cs chip. i think ive read about that line supposed to smooth engine out i will try it. So if i put 99 on up injectors in will they go right in and all i have to do is flash chip also with the 99 and up injectors will they act like a stage one compared to the 97s . is their quick connectors in the fuel lines to the tank like the 99s that may suck air thanks foe all the help so far.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:43 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Injectors will go right in, but your chip isn't going to work real well. I don't know if you can get it flashed. A custom chip is probably what you'd need to do. If you upgrade to the SD injectors, you'll be a little less on power than stage ones, but not too much. You will need to upgrade the hpop to run the split shots effectively also. OBS injectors are 98cc, SD are 130-140iirc, and stage ones are 160.

I've never heard of our trucks having troubles sucking air like you are talking about.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:53 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Just keep in mind that if you have to buy the SD injectors then to me its not worth it because Jims stageI builds start at five big ones

Old 10-11-2011, 08:21 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by jack.dubord
what is this HPX line.
HPX MODE.

This hose is used to bridge the 2 high pressure oil rails in the heads that feed the injectors on the 7.3L Powerstroke.
The installation of this hose will typically smooth out rough idles as the ICP can now sense the pressure in both heads, quiet the engine, as well as provide improved oil flow to the injectors.

This kit is intended for installation on a power stroke engine to ensure that the high-pressure oil rails receive the same amount of high-pressure oil from the high-pressure oil pump. The result of installing this kit includes, but is not limited to, a quieter running engine, smoother idle, and more responsive throttle. This kit is recommended to all power stroke owners from model year 1994 through and including the 2002 model year.

This kit will NOT eliminate what is commonly called “cackle” or “idle knock”. One side effect of this kit after installation is that the engine runs quieter. This allows you to hear other potential problems in your engine that were previously covered up by engine noise.

The cylinder #8 tends to get less oil. The firing order is 1-2-7-3-4-5-6-8. Because 6 & 8 are both on the same side 6 uses the oil pressure and then 8 fires before the pressure has time to recover, with the crossover line some of the pressure bleeds over from the other head to assure that 8 has as much pressure as possible.

The problem with the #7 injector was on the superduty trucks with their dead head fuel systems. The #7 would get shortchanged on fuel and would "cackle"

Originally Posted by 427 fordman

Very minimal noise reduction, some say it does, some don't.
Agree with that. Mine got some noise reduction.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:21 PM
jack.dubord
New User
new guy has questions

so where can i get this hpx line and if i do the stage one i will need to get a hpop right. I tried that link you had up 427 fordman but it took me to a page that said he does not provide rebuild kits anymore. Also one more question sorry about all the Questions but you guys are really helping me make decisions i was wondering does anyone know if i can put remote oil cooler on

Old 10-11-2011, 06:27 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
You can go to his home site from that page I think. rosewooddiesel.com My experience with the stage ones was towing my big trailer set a cel easy in 140 tune. Power went way down till you shut it off and the cel went out. Then it would happen all over again. If you don't tow heavy, you'd be ok for a while with the stock pump. Mine wouldn't set a cel empty unless I did a wide open throttle run, then you didn't notice the loss in power as much either, as there wasn't 16k of trailer behind me.

HPX line you can get from Clay at Riffraff. I'm not sure if he has the hard line or the soft line, I got a soft line from dieselsite. You can put a remote oil cooler on, some have done it. I don't have any good info you there as I haven't done it, been thinking of it but too many other things to do. Glenn (oldbird1965) put one on his truck, maybe he'll chime in later.

If you upgrade the hpop, clay has the terminator pump also. Definitely the way to go.Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts | Ford 7.3 diesel | 7.3 powerstroke | Ford Powerstroke | 7.3L Powerstroke Parts

Old 10-11-2011, 06:50 PM
jack.dubord
New User
new guy has questions

i do tow very heavy and once i hit the grade i have had my oil temp hit almost 245 so that's why I'm asking about the oil cooler. anyway if i do stage one and get a hpop wont my egt's get way to high under heavy load or will i need to get a inter cooler to make it all mesh good. and at that point if i have the inter cooler will to help with egt's will it be way over the top to get the banks turbo snail housing. reason why is i have a final turn on my grade almost a 180 and i have to shift down to second gear and the grade is so steep when i tap second gear out i hit third and my rpm is just barely over 2000 and I'm only boosting about 4 so then i can't pull the load and i have to go back down into second to finish the hill. I notice if i have at least 10 psi an any gear i can gain speed. and thank you again

Old 10-11-2011, 07:00 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
With what you're saying you WILL want an intercooler and upgraded hpop right away. If Glenn pops in here (I'll send him a pm) he also has water meth injection. I want to do that this winter also. He can fill you in on that better. Just another way to keep temps down on top of the intercooler so you could really maximize your power. He just uses water injection, not meth. Between the water injection and a bigger (6.0) intercooler you could drop temps by close to 400 degrees. Stay away from the small housing the way you pull, it won't gain you anything to notice except higher temps. Like I said, I'll pm Glenn to help out a little more with info for you on the oil cooler and water injection if you're interested.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by jack.dubord
so where can i get this hpx line and if i do the stage one i will need to get a hpop right. I tried that link you had up 427 fordman but it took me to a page that said he does not provide rebuild kits anymore. Also one more question sorry about all the Questions but you guys are really helping me make decisions i was wondering does anyone know if i can put remote oil cooler on
I bougth mine here
Future Home of Tymar Performance

you have to call or send a mail.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:40 PM
jack.dubord
New User
new guy has questions

im very interested and is their a good build up for the inter cooler on here so i can get a parts list together and maybe see some pic if you know of a good one to send me to it would be a big help.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:42 PM
jack.dubord
New User
new guy has questions

also. sorry so you are saying i should get a hpop even tho i don't have stage 1 and do you have any recommendations on one.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
No, until you get the stage ones you should be fine with the stock hpop. It will however improve the power even with stock injectors. T500 from terminator, I think Clay has them in that link I posted. Or you can email joey@terminatorengineering

All kinds of information on modding, intercooler install, hpop, etc. in this thread. Oil cooler info in there too. IC you need an early 99 spyder or make one if you can fab.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nfo-links.html

Old 10-11-2011, 09:12 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Jack, as you can see I pull heavy. After getting the power I needed I started on being able to use it by staying cool. A few years ago I had a 1" housing, I liked it to get every thing rolling but it finally did my stock turbo in. I, like you, was hitting oil temps as high as 260*. I made my own oil cooler:

As stated by Darin, the use of water injection and a intercooler knocked 400* off my EGT's. I can stay in it a lot longer and harder now, I said in another thread that I think my coolingmist water injection was one of the best mods I've done. Not really because the stock motor is a dog but its such a good feeling for me to let it fly and not worry about the EGT's as much as before. Don't get me wrong, I can still run it up to 1400 or 1500 but not like before. I don't have any pictures of the coolingmist but you can see it on their website coolingmist.com.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:31 PM
jack.dubord
New User
new guy has questions

Awesome so where did you get the part the takes the place of your oil filter and what are you weighing at truck and trailer together? also what temps are you running now with the oil cooler that had to help keep your turbo temp down to right?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:51 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I got that adapter off of Ebay of all places. What I wanted was a sandwich adapter but could not find one. That's where you can tap into the oil supply and still attach your oil filter. Instead I had to mount my oil filter inline with the cooler. My cooler has a thermastat that can be adjusted to the temp of the oil and when the fan comes on. On even the hardest of pulls I'm at 215-220* with outside temps in the 90's. I'm sure the temp's on the turbo are down alot.

The truck is 7K and the 5er is 16K. I don't pull the trailer behind the 5er anymore, to easy to get stuck because you can't back up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new guy has questions