Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e4od swap with computer ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:33 PM
kyflaresideon20s
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e4od swap with computer ???

ok im doing a trans swap from e4od to a 5 speed. i know most of what im going to do andim still considering which tranny im going with between a mazda and zf and im still not sure which to go with i just need to weigh out the pros and cons of each which im not sure of yet. my big ??? is when i do the swap what do i do about the computer when it come to that im lost and need and info i can get. also what do i do about makeing the dash delete where the auto shift looks as if it was never ther. thanks beforehand for any info or thoughs

Old 10-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 373 Likes on 283 Posts
Just swap out your computer for one from a manual truck.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:54 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Originally Posted by kyflaresideon20s
ok im doing a trans swap from e4od to a 5 speed. i know most of what im going to do andim still considering which tranny im going with between a mazda and zf and im still not sure which to go with i just need to weigh out the pros and cons of each which im not sure of yet. my big ??? is when i do the swap what do i do about the computer when it come to that im lost and need and info i can get. also what do i do about makeing the dash delete where the auto shift looks as if it was never ther. thanks beforehand for any info or thoughs
First off, don't know why you'd swap as neither of those trans is some slick shifting performance job, but it's your truck.

--Which trans?
Mazda: Lighter duty, closer ratios, taller first at 3.91 which is still low enough for most applications.

ZF: Heavier duty, low first gear, wider splits.

--Computer?
As per prior post, get a manual trans ecu.

--Dash delete?
Get a stick steering column for one, and check this out:

zf 5 speed conversion - FSB Forums

He gets to pulling the shift quadrant about 2/3s of the way down page 3.

Note this is a Bronco, but all the same issues are in your way, especially pedals.

I know an E4OD is an expensive unit to rebuild, but note the dude in that like had to pull is ZF and put $1000 into a rebuild of that right off the bat. So buy your new trans carefully, and again, jmo, reconsider the whole thing.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:09 PM
kyflaresideon20s
Junior User
ok thanks for the info guys. 85e in your opinion why do you think i should reconsider? i have head nothing positive of the e40d and i have had lots of problems with it. also in your opinion which trans would you go with? i dont do alot of heavy towing but sometimes i will pull something light such as a small boat would the mazda hold up to any towind. are the gears in both tranny strong enough so i wouldbe stripping them out. i just realy dont know much about manual when it somes to gears which are good or bad

Old 10-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 373 Likes on 283 Posts
Sounds like your best bet is to rebuild the E4OD, if in fact it is the trans gone bad. So many sensors can throw the shifting off, making people think the trans is bad.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:23 PM
kyflaresideon20s
Junior User
well the trans is not completely bad yet. it does trow a code saying a vavle is stuck. in my repair manual dosent show anykind is schematics if the tranny so i would have no idea were the vavles would be or how hard it would be to do . the tranny does have problems shifting 2nd gear unless i do it manualy. also now when its cold outside the tranny will not shift out of 2nd gear until it warms up driveing. also when i changed the fluid and filter i did find a part in the pan that i donot know what it is or were it went. it white and plastic with a rubber seal wround the round part and it has a small stick like peace out the top. again i dont know much about the insides of tranny i have never taken one apart

Old 10-10-2011, 03:19 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The piece you found was the dipstick plug left in at the factory.. NORMAL if the pan has never been off..

I would check the truck for DTC codes, a bad TPS, or multifunction switch (neutral safety switch) for instance can render the E4OD stupid..

The way you describe the trouble I would bet it's NOT the transmission..

Old 10-10-2011, 03:22 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
DIY auto trans repair is risky territory. As per prior post, it may not be a serious trans problem at all. Shop around for a decent shop with experience with that trans.

People complain about the E4OD but most of the time it's high mile/years old units involved. Nothing lasts forever. In good condition, the E4OD is a decent trans.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:48 PM
kyflaresideon20s
Junior User
thanks for all the info. yeah i think this was the first time the pan has ever been off and i seen that part and thought it had something to do woth the vavle being stuck. is the vavle body something i can get to without takeing it all apart? what caused it was one day i was getting on the eway and florred it and the throttle cable got stuck on the plastic cover on the throttle body. pulled over and got it unstuck every since then it has had the 2nd gear problem and the code says the vavle is stuck. if its not something i can do easily whould anyone have a rough idea what something like that would cost if the tranny was out and took it to the shop? im still set on in the future of putting a 5spd in it just for now it is my daily driver so i dont have time to do the swap until i gather all the part giving my wallet lets me thanks

Old 10-10-2011, 07:27 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
swapping an E4OD for the mazda 5 speed is a serious downgrade.go ZF5 or fix the E40D.

"when its cold outside the tranny will not shift out of 2nd gear until it warms up driving"

try scanning for codes to see if your getting the TOT code.

"E4OD Transmission Oil Temperature Sensor (TOT) Overview & Wiring Diagram; "...The PCM monitors the voltage drop across a temperature sensitive thermistor. The PCM uses this information to determine transmission fluid temperature for adjustment of shift schedules & torque converter engagement schedules when the fluid is cold. Also used to adjust EPC pressure shift & torque converter schedules for temperature..."

it does sound like you have a couple failed.so i would for sure start with inspecting the solenoid plug connector/wires and repairing that or it could just need to be cleaned.
it sure sounds like this would fix ya right up to me.it's located on the pass side.it unclips very hard! you need to be careful.press inward on both sides and remove that plug.see any bare wires? fix them/replace the plug.clean it up good.odds are this would fix your issues and she'll run like new again.
please post back after you do this.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:49 PM
kyflaresideon20s
Junior User
great info guys i realy apreaciate it