1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

6-Door F350 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:48 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6-Door F350 4x4

I was working some interdiction (or trying to haha) on highway 287 south of Amarillo, TX when this beauty passed me...so I snapped a pic w/my cell and a short video.

F350 4x4 7.3 w/6 full size doors

Enjoy and try not to drool all over your keyboard...it gets messy

F350 OBS 6-Door - YouTube

Old 10-07-2011, 07:54 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I like. I bet it's a PITA to park. Lol

Old 10-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Iallwork
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't take that one in a parking ramp, you will never get out.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:17 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
thats wicked esp for a large family! there is a guy here locally who has a superduty with 4 full doors and an extended cab. it looks good but for a few more inches he could have another door.

if it were me i would have to do some sort of rear steer. it shouldnt be too terribly difficult, just a bit pricey. cut off the ends of the rear axle tube, weld in some dedenbear inner knuckles and mount a pair of kingpin dedenbear outers and go from there. the tricky part is ordering custom cut and rolled axleshafts. i have seriously considered it, just always have other projects going on

-cutts-

Old 10-07-2011, 08:25 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Looks good. There's an extended crew cab over by my daughters house, but I like this better.

Originally Posted by fishmanndotcom
if it were me i would have to do some sort of rear steer. it shouldnt be too terribly difficult, just a bit pricey.
Bet it would still be cheaper than paying for one of those new trucks. The hard part would be rigging up the counter steer, same direction steer switch. (sharp turn you want the wheels to go opposite, change lanes on the highway and you want them all pointing the same direction.)

Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by F350-6
The hard part would be rigging up the counter steer, same direction steer switch. (sharp turn you want the wheels to go opposite, change lanes on the highway and you want them all pointing the same direction.)
ehh not really. rockcrawlers (i have a similar setup) use a return to center orbitrol valve and matching ram. i was gonna go that route on the bronco but it didnt make sense since my wheelbase turned out to be so short. the problem will actually be a legal issue. technically all vehicles require a mechanical steering linkage on the steer axles. not that many cops would care much less know what to look for, but its an issue nonetheless.

-cutts-

Old 10-07-2011, 08:39 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
That's too much. It's a little cheesy.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:51 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
the problem will actually be a legal issue. technically all vehicles require a mechanical steering linkage on the steer axles. not that many cops would care much less know what to look for, but its an issue nonetheless.

-cutts-
There's got to be a way around that. Chevy offered 4 wheel steering for a while, but tried to screw the customers, then dealers on price so it died due to no sales.

Too bad really. I was hoping it took off and Ford had to match it. My crew cab long bed is kind of hard to turn around in tight spaces. Then again, the more I read here, the less I want a newer truck anyway. I'm kind of partial to my old 7.3

Old 10-08-2011, 06:47 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by F350-6
There's got to be a way around that. Chevy offered 4 wheel steering for a while, but tried to screw the customers, then dealers on price so it died due to no sales.
well that was a mechanical linkage. they used an elec motor mounted to a rack and pinion to steer the rear axle. so technically it was still a mechanical linkage.

of course it was a flop, it was a $5000 option! who in their right mind would go for that? lol

-cutts-

Old 10-08-2011, 03:04 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I could have found a stop on him... i would have tried to get him on the forum.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:12 PM
jyount
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ehh not really. rockcrawlers (i have a similar setup) use a return to center orbitrol valve and matching ram. i was gonna go that route on the bronco but it didnt make sense since my wheelbase turned out to be so short. the problem will actually be a legal issue. technically all vehicles require a mechanical steering linkage on the steer axles. not that many cops would care much less know what to look for, but its an issue nonetheless.

-cutts-
He's right. Rock crawler type counter steer is great in the barn lot or in the woods or parking lot, but counter steer at 70 mph on the highway = flipped over. I worked for a GM dealer then. That was the major flop was that it costs way too much. The system actually worked extremely well. The turn radiuses in the counter steer mode was cut down big time. Above a certain mph (I think it was 10 or less, but don't take that to the bank) it would switch to high speed mode. Once moving the wheels have to turn the same dirrection as the fronts, not opposite... I had a 97 3/4 ton EC, it wasn't terrible to get around in. Fords actually have a pretty decent turn radius usually. You can't really compare the IFS Chevys to the straight axles, or even the TTB for that matter. Apples to oranges. The IFS Chevy's do turn sharp, but I like my solid axles....

Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jyount
but counter steer at 70 mph on the highway = flipped over.
well ok but you dont need rear steer on the interstate anyways. just leave the rear axle pointed straight (N position) like the other 35 million cars on the road. i wouldnt tie the rear axle in to the existing steering, i would use a seperate control for those tight situations. a small joystick works perfectly for this.

-cutts-

Old 10-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
http://www.****************.com/index.html

I have tried linking this site numerous times, each time it gets blocked......I can't understand why..........is Tim some kind of a bad guy or something?

Anyway the site is custom autos by tim dot com

Old 10-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
somebody probably pissed off FTE admins, so they blocked him because he's a competitor for some site sponsor.

Centurion customs did the 6 door PSD's. =)

Old 10-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
here you all go.

Quick Reply: 6-Door F350 4x4